Elmwood Day School
5.00 (1 review)
Elmwood Day School Photo #2 - The 4s enjoy doing a tree study each year. They observe one tree all year round and record what they learn about its attributes and life cycle.
Elmwood Day School Photo #4 - The Young Architects read Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin and then got to work creating their own snowflakes with Kapla blocks.
Elmwood Day School Photo #5 - A favorite tradition is our spring study of butterflies and their exciting release.
Elmwood Day School Photo #6 - Music with our beloved artist, Anne, can mean singing along to songs on the guitar, musical obstacle courses, movement activities, singing and acting out song books, and playing a variety of instruments.
Elmwood Day School Photo #8 - Our Young Detectives disguised themselves as visitors to Elmwood and discovered clues that helped them solve the week's mystery.
Elmwood Day School Photo #10 - Author celebrations are a favorite event in our Transitional Fives & Kindergarten class. Children meet in small groups for literacy time, learning from a teacher model, guided practice, independent practice, and the share. The focus is always on the excitement of communicating an idea and personal growth.
- Elmwood Day School has been providing excellent early childhood education to Lower Westchester since 1957.
- We strive to create an environment that allows each child to feel safe, known, comfortable, and accepted.
- We offer morning and afternoon classes for children ages two through first grade, including transitional fives program. Extended day enrichment classes also offered for 3s-5s.
- Our integrated curriculum, based on New York State standards, fosters abstract and concrete thinking skills.
- A balance of spontaneous play, teacher-directed, and child-initiated activities help children develop a strong awareness of themselves and the world around them.
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-1|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- White Plains Grades: PK-K | 160 students
White Plains, NY 10605
(914)949-3134 5.1 PK-K
- Dobbs Ferry Grades: PK-K | 164 students
Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522
(914)693-4443 2.3 PK-K
- New York Grades: NS-12 | 997 students
139 W 91st St
New York, NY 10024
(212)932-6856 18.4 NS-12
This school is excellent. They are very creative and caring - they are play based, and yet most kids excel academically. It's because they sneak the learning in... Jane is the Director and caring but also a "nerd" about early childhood education. She is a fantastic resource and you can tell that she thrives on learning more and providing an excellent start to school. This school is excellent but not fancy. They have their own songs and a very sweet culture that includes everyone. We love it at Elmwood.
- Posted by Parent - emily
The Department of Homeland Security recently announced that it would enforce a 2017 policy of requiring visa applicants to list their social media handles. More about this and how it impacts international students wishing to attend American K-12 private schools.
We parents are responsible for expanding our children's horizons. We are responsible for showing and explaining things, concepts, and places they have never thought of. This article contains my roadmap for enriching your child's education.
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.