Elmwood Day School
5.00 (1 review)
The 4s enjoy doing a tree study each year. They observe one tree all year round and record what they learn about its attributes and life cycle.
The Young Architects read Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin and then got to work creating their own snowflakes with Kapla blocks.
Music with our beloved artist, Anne, can mean singing along to songs on the guitar, musical obstacle courses, movement activities, singing and acting out song books, and playing a variety of instruments.
Our Young Detectives disguised themselves as visitors to Elmwood and discovered clues that helped them solve the week's mystery.
Author celebrations are a favorite event in our Transitional Fives & Kindergarten class. Children meet in small groups for literacy time, learning from a teacher model, guided practice, independent practice, and the share. The focus is always on the excitement of communicating an idea and personal growth.
- Elmwood Day School has been providing excellent early childhood education to Lower Westchester since 1957.
- We strive to create an environment that allows each child to feel safe, known, comfortable, and accepted.
- We offer morning and afternoon classes for children ages two through first grade, including transitional fives program. Extended day enrichment classes also offered for 3s-5s.
- Our integrated curriculum, based on New York State standards, fosters abstract and concrete thinking skills.
- A balance of spontaneous play, teacher-directed, and child-initiated activities help children develop a strong awareness of themselves and the world around them.
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-1|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
This school is excellent. They are very creative and caring - they are play based, and yet most kids excel academically. It's because they sneak the learning in... Jane is the Director and caring but also a "nerd" about early childhood education. She is a fantastic resource and you can tell that she thrives on learning more and providing an excellent start to school. This school is excellent but not fancy. They have their own songs and a very sweet culture that includes everyone. We love it at Elmwood.
- Posted by Parent - emily
July 20, 2017
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?