Mohawk Country Day School
For more than 90 years, the Mohawk Country Day School (formerly Mohawk Country Home School) has been teaching children ages two years, nine months through seven, providing experiences that help them learn and grow.
We are committed to fulfilling each child's needs with age-appropriate programs that carefully balance teacher-directed and child-initiated activities.
With an enriched curriculum and highly skilled staff, children at Mohawk develop socially, physically, creatively and intellectually in a warm, nurturing environment.
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-1
- Students: 155 students
- Average class size: 14 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 41%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Finances and Admission
None / Rolling
Kim Ross, Director
- Children are grouped by age and developmental level in small classes. They are taught by caring, knowledgeable teachers and an array of specialists in charming, home-like buildings on Mohawk`s remarkable 40-acre site. Complete with an animal farm, apple orchard, playing fields, gymnasium, music rooms, library, computer lab, building block room, Discovery room, and Lego learning center; Mohawk provides wonderful opportunities for young children to explore, discover, play and learn.
- Our enriched curriculum combines language and literacy development, math concepts, hands-on science activities, cultural awareness, creative arts, and outdoor and indoor playtime. Our staff includes a full-time music teacher, a farm and nature teachers specialist, a physical education teacher, and a computer specialist.
- Each comfortable, well-equipped classroom is filled with books, toys, manipulatives, arts & crafts materials, dress-up/dramatic play areas, blocks, puzzles, learning centers and educational materials appropriate to each age/grade level.
- With an average tenure of more than 15 years, Mohawk Country Day School`s warm, skilled and dedicated Head Teachers have touched the lives of countless Westchester families. Highly-qualified Head and Associate Teachers are chosen for their professional experience, creativity and gentle manner.
- We encourage you to visit us. Bring your family to meet School Director, Kim Ross, and enjoy a personal tour of our campus. Please call our office at (914) 949-2635 or email email@example.com for more information.
My daughter attended Mohawk for both kindergarten and first grade. Her teacher was Kim Zimmerman for both years. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Kim. She is an exceptional teacher -- I remarked early on that she had spoiled Lucy and me for educators forever and I was right about that. Kim "gets it." She learns each student, listens to them, works with them, and treats them with the kindness, respect, and love most people reserve for their families. Kim understands that school is about more than tests and worksheets and really tries to tailor learning to each child. To have a teacher and person this phenomenal teaching at a facility as lovely and packed with wonderful activities and areas as Mohawk is an even bigger gift. The school is located on a beautiful campus with a farm, multiple playgrounds and climbing structures, lots of open space, structures for performance, arts and crafts, schoolwork, and many other activities -- even mini golf and their own bus, "Buster!" Mr. B., the music teacher, is fantastic; my now-7-year-old knows more about composers and their works than I do, and he encouraged her innate love of music in a fun, supportive way. Ms. Sue, the phys ed teacher, is a powerhouse and a great motivator, making sure to focus on teamwork and fun rather than competition and winning. The many school community events throughout the year made the school feel warm and welcoming. I only wish they didn't stop at first grade because we would've stayed a MCDS family as long as possible! I highly recommend the K/1 class taught by Kim, who may no longer be my daughter's teacher, but who will be our lifelong friend.
My daughter loved preschool at Mohawk so much that she was actually disappointed when she woke up on a weekend and couldn't go to school! And it is easy to understand why she loved Mohawk. Her teachers were warm and caring. They thought carefully how best to teach each child, and were completely in tune with how my daughter was doing - both academically and socially. Her main teacher in the 4's even emailed the parents in the class the following year just to see how her kids were doing. The curriculum is fantastic. My daughter was stimulated, and I can't believe how much she learned. My daughter clearly gained confidence throughout the year. Mohawk's facilities are unparalleled - and they use it. My daughter adored her trips to the farm and the orchard. She had the opportunity to have gym indoors and out on beautiful grounds. Music class with Mr. B is truly remarkable. The children learn different classical composers - and can recognize their pieces within a few notes - all the while laughing with Mr. B. I cannot say enough about the school. From the administrators - who know every child and are on top of everything - on down, Mohawk is simply fantastic.
My daughter was in Mohawk's 3s program last year, attends their 4s now, and is enrolled in their Mini-K program for next year. I cannot wait for my other children to attend as well. I am over-the-moon in love with Mohawk's program. When my daughter began attending Mohawk, she was having minor separation issues. Her teachers were so amazing that she was waving me off after the first week. In the 3s, she was taken the farm regularly, played on different playgrounds (including MoTown!), was read to regularly, did science projects, socialized with many different children, attended a daily music class, and so much more. This year, she is thriving in the 4s. She goes to the farm regularly (weather permitting during this bitter winter), went apple picking, goes bike riding, attends music class daily, and science class, and she has done a wonderful program on the letters. I have found all of the teachers to be extremely thoughtful with their curriculum, and nurturing in their treatment of the children. Music class with Mr. B is unlike any other music program i''ve ever seen. My daughter has fun learning about the different composers and is proud to earn and hang their posters up.
Endorse Mohawk Country Day School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.
How Diverse Are Private Schools?
Decades ago private schools could have been accused of being elitist. You had to have money to attend. The student populations were fairly homogeneous. Fortunately that has changed.
Private School Job Searching 101
Here is a guide for teachers and administrators seeking employment in private schools. Think of it as a roadmap for the job search process.