- For more than 80 years, the Mohawk Country Day School (formerly Mohawk Country Home School) has been teaching children ages two years, nine months through seven, providing experiences that help them learn and grow.
- We are committed to fulfilling each child's needs with age-appropriate programs that carefully balance teacher-directed and child-initiated activities.
- With an enriched curriculum and highly skilled staff, children at Mohawk develop socially, physically, creatively and intellectually in a warm, nurturing environment.
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-1|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||139 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Kim Ross, Director|
- Children are grouped by age and developmental level in small classes. They are taught by caring, knowledgeable teachers and an array of specialists in charming, home-like buildings on Mohawk’s remarkable 40-acre site. Complete with an animal farm, apple orchard, grape arbor, playing fields, gymnasium, music rooms, library, computer lab and Lego learning center; Mohawk provides wonderful opportunities for young children to explore, discover, play and learn.
- Our enriched curriculum combines language and literacy development, math concepts, hands-on science activities, cultural awareness, creative arts, and outdoor and indoor play time. Our staff includes a full-time music teacher (students have DAILY music), a foreign language specialist, a physical education teacher, and a computer specialist.
- Each comfortable, well-equipped classroom is filled with books, toys, manipulatives, arts & crafts materials, dress-up/dramatic play areas, blocks, puzzles, learning centers and educational materials appropriate to each age/grade level.
- With an average tenure of more than 15 years, Mohawk Country Day School’s warm, skilled and dedicated teachers have touched the lives of countless Westchester families. Highly-qualified Head and Associate Teachers are chosen for their professional experience, creativity and gentle manner.
- We encourage you to visit us. Bring your family to meet School Directors, Kim Ross and Barbara Schainman, and enjoy a personal tour of our campus. Please call our office at (914) 949-2635 or email email@example.com for more information.
Profile last updated: 08/03/2015
People that viewed Mohawk Country Day School also viewed these schools: French American School Of New York.
My daughter loved preschool at Mohawk so much that she was actually disappointed when she woke up on a weekend and couldn't go to school! And it is easy to understand why she loved Mohawk. Her teachers were warm and caring. They thought carefully how best to teach each child, and were completely in tune with how my daughter was doing - both academically and socially. Her main teacher in the 4's even emailed the parents in the class the following year just to see how her kids were doing. The curriculum is fantastic. My daughter was stimulated, and I can't believe how much she learned. My daughter clearly gained confidence throughout the year. Mohawk's facilities are unparalleled - and they use it. My daughter adored her trips to the farm and the orchard. She had the opportunity to have gym indoors and out on beautiful grounds. Music class with Mr. B is truly remarkable. The children learn different classical composers - and can recognize their pieces within a few notes - all the while laughing with Mr. B. I cannot say enough about the school. From the administrators - who know every child and are on top of everything - on down, Mohawk is simply fantastic.
- Posted by Parent - babyk
My daughter was in Mohawk's 3s program last year, attends their 4s now, and is enrolled in their Mini-K program for next year. I cannot wait for my other children to attend as well. I am over-the-moon in love with Mohawk's program. When my daughter began attending Mohawk, she was having minor separation issues. Her teachers were so amazing that she was waving me off after the first week. In the 3s, she was taken the farm regularly, played on different playgrounds (including MoTown!), was read to regularly, did science projects, socialized with many different children, attended a daily music class, and so much more. This year, she is thriving in the 4s. She goes to the farm regularly (weather permitting during this bitter winter), went apple picking, goes bike riding, attends music class daily, and science class, and she has done a wonderful program on the letters. I have found all of the teachers to be extremely thoughtful with their curriculum, and nurturing in their treatment of the children. Music class with Mr. B is unlike any other music program i''ve ever seen. My daughter has fun learning about the different composers and is proud to earn and hang their posters up.
- Posted by Parent - alexa
May 25, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 25, 2017
When you apply for a position at a private school, you need to use a slightly different approach than you would use if you were applying for a sales job somewhere.
May 25, 2017
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.