EF Academy New York
5.00 (3 reviews)
EF Academy New York Photo #2 - Our state-of-the-art science labs engage students in the STEM fields along with STEM clubs that include computer coding, 3D design and print club, Engineering club, web and app design club, electronics club and archaeology club. Our strongest science students apply to the Columbia University Science Honors Program which they participate in on Saturdays.
EF Academy New York Photo #3 - South Hall is our brand new dorm for our 9th and 10th graders. It opened September 2016 and features spacious triple rooms, social lounges and a kitchen.
EF Academy New York Photo #6 - There are many spaces to lounge and socialize around campus. We have plenty of natural light and comfy chairs
EF Academy New York Photo #7 - Our small class sizes allow for personal attention. The average class size is 17 students
EF Academy New York Photo #8 - Our theater is home not only to our dramatic and musical productions, but also serves as the venue for important events on campus such as Lunar New Year and assemblies featuring a Holocaust survivor, an Olympic Gold Medalist and a University a cappella group
EF Academy New York Photo #9 - The EF Academy Storm boasts several interscholastic sports teams including: Boys Soccer, Girls Soccer, Girls Volleyball, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Golf, Cross Country, Track and Field, Cheerleading
- Surrounded by 100 acres of wooded grounds, EF Academy New York takes you to one of the most international cities in the world.
- Experience a modern, American-style education in an international high school with space and encouragement to study and reach your aspirations.
- Earn an internationally recognized degree, get personalized course planning and university preparation and engage in more than 120 learning enrichment and club activities per year.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)|
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||650 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||100 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||60 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||IB French B SL/HL, IB German A: Literature SL/HL, IB Spanish B SL/HL, IB Biology HL/SL, IB Business and Management SL/HL, IB Chemistry HL/SL, IB Chinese A Literature SL/HL, IB Computer Science SL, IB Core: CAS, EE & TOK, IB Economics HL/SL, IB English A: Language and Literature SL/HL, IB English A: Literature SL/HL, IB English B SL/HL, IB Environmental Systems and Societies SL, IB French Ab Initio SL, IB Further Mathematics HL, IB Geography SL, IB German Ab Initio SL, IB History HL/SL, IB Korean A: Literature SL/HL, IB Mandarin ab Initio SL, IB Mathematical Studies SL, IB Mathematics SL/HL, IB Music SL/HL, IB Norwegian A: Literature SL/HL, IB Physics HL/SL, IB Portuguese A: Literature SL/HL, IB Psychology SL, IB Russian A: Literature SL/HL, IB Self-taught A Literature SL, IB Spanish A: Literature SL/HL, IB Spanish Ab Initio SL, IB Sports, Health & Exercise SL, IB Thai A: Literature SL/HL, IB Theater Arts SL/HL, IB Vietnamese A: Literature SL/HL, IB Visual Arts SL/HL|
|Average SAT score||1200|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$58,500|
|Tuition Notes||Day students welcome to join weekend activities|
|Admissions Director||Yagmur Yaraman|
|Admissions Associate||Lauren Blankstein|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,|
Cross Country, Golf,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||51 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
AI Club, Anime Club, Chess & GO Club, Chinese Language and Culture, Christian Club, Code Club, Cooking Club, Culture and Language Exchange Club, Culture Fair Club, D.E.A.R. Club, Dance Club, DECA Leaders and Entrepreneurs Club, DJ Club, Drama Club, E-Mart Club, E-sports Club, EF Talks Club, EFTV Club, Environmental Leadership Club, Finance Club, Girls Who Code Club, Habitudes - Habits and Attitudes of Leadership, Hands to Paw Club, Language A Club, Literary Magazine, Lunar New Year Club, Magic Circle Club, Math Club, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Outdoor Leadership, Paint the School Club, PC Builds Club, Peer Tutoring Club, Philanthropy Club, Pride Not Prejudice Club, Recycling Club, Robotics Club, RPG D&D Club, SAT Prep Club, Social Media Marketing Agency Club, Spirit Club, TedX Club, Yearbook Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Advanced Art Portfolio Club, Art Club, Learn to Play Guitar Club, Rock Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equestrian Club, Mindful Yogis Club, Tennis Club
Lights, labs, studios and trails
- A four-year high school experience at EF Academy New York includes, IGCSE, US High School Diploma and IB Diploma classes where you will engage in lessons and interact with your classmates in inspiring, spacious classrooms. Theater students step into the spotlight in our beautiful auditorium where full-length plays are staged annually. Science labs equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and welcoming art studios not only enrich your classes, they also host science and art clubs after school and are available for you to use for independent study. Complete your school day with a bit of physical activity in our fully equipped gym, dance studio or basketball courts, or get some fresh air by going on a walk or run around over two kilometers of off-road trails on campus.
- EF Academy New York is tucked in the quiet suburban town of Thornwood and it is characterized by the many pathways, trails and woodland that surround its academic and residence buildings. Just down the hill from the school is Rose Hill Shopping Center, a small plaza with restaurants and shops. New York City and the famous island of Manhattan are 45 minutes away. Here you will have plenty of opportunities to make the US`s most cultural city your classroom - class trips to museums, plays and New York`s neighborhoods promote experiential learning, which will allow you to truly immerse yourself in the subject material you are studying and deepen your knowledge.
- At EF Academy New York, you will have over 50 clubs and 10 varsity sports to choose from, plus opportunities to create your own. There will always be something taking place on campus, but some activities will take you beyond our school for an exciting adventure. Activities take place after school and on the weekends and range from organized trips to Manhattan and academic competitions, to basketball league championships and Model UN conferences.
- Our campus has three residence buildings with a variety of quiet study areas and student lounges on each floor. A key part of the boarding experience is learning how to develop independence, time management and collaboration skills by living with peers on campus. Students live with roommates from different countries which encourages cultural exchange. Resident Advisors live in the residences alongside students and provide 24/7 support and supervision. In addition to evening study hall and tutoring, the Residential and Community Life team incorporates regular activities to foster a strong feeling of community. Our global communications network so there will always be someone parents can get in touch with, on campus or in their home country.
- The New York area is host to dozens of the most respected universities in the US, whether that's NYU in famed Greenwich Village or Ivy League Columbia University. Many students take pre-college courses at these universities during the school year. Our school in Thornwood is an ideal setting in which to prepare for university enrollment in New York State, on the East Coast of the US and internationally. During the school year, representatives from 150 universities visit our campus to speak with our students.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: PK-12 | 957 students
291 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
(212)724-6360 24.5 PK-12
- Yonkers Grades: PK-12 | 52 students
170 Hudson Terrace
Yonkers, NY 10701
(914)968-7047 12.5 PK-12
- Bronx Grades: 6-8 | 377 students
3901 Fieldston Rd
Bronx, NY 10471
(718)329-7333 16.8 6-8
The Best School on the very large space of international Education where,the ideology is not present.Very pleased to see this amazing school.Mother of one girl that wants to study in free liberty of expression.
- Posted by Parent - Simona
I spent a fruitful experience during my boarding school studies at EF Academy NY, I am extremely honored to have been exposed to a rich and fulfilling experience on both educational and personal levels. It was a move that proved very beneficial and well-rounded from all aspects. You have the choice of choosing to achieve the American school diploma you desire wether it being the International Baccalaureate (IB) or the New York State high school diploma (NYS), the IGCSE or Prep Program, speaking of earning diplomas, that means attending class, classes which are highly prestigious with, the curriculum is designed to meet your interests and needs, but just like anyone anywhere you may encounter challenges. This gives you the opportunity to learn being self-dependent, teachers will do so much to get you there!! speaking of interests what I loved most was the diversity I was surrounded by. Just imagine how much information was processed in a class with no less than 7 different nationalities, A school with over 76 different nationalities. Even out of class we would often negotiate global issues and establish solutions, or exchange cultural experiences, it allowed us to look at things from different perspectives!! EF ny is a school which I like referring to as my second home for a number of reasons; to name a few was the care from the house parents, the modern rooms and beautiful classrooms, the continuing development of technology throughout the school, the guidance through out the experience from your personal counsellors and highly experienced teachers. The modern facilities and wide areas enabled us a variety of co-curricular activities to participate in(important for college essays) and lastly the international dining with lots of different delicious options enabled me healthy eating habits that leads ultimately a clear mindset and a positive attitude towards learning. It is a school that has enabled me to enjoy the full experience of educational anddd personal developments!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Ahmed Ali Shafiee
The EF Academy International Boarding School is a well kept secret located on a beautiful modern campus in Thornwood, NY (Westchester County). It also has campuses around the world (our other EF favorite campus is in Oxford England) and once you gain admission into one you can exchange into the others for a more international boarding school experience. One of the few private schools in the United States where you can earn and International Baccalaureate (IB) and a High School Diploma. The school draws top students from over 75 countries (Asia, Europe, Africa, South America and Russia) and over 45 languages are spoken on campus. The spring break trips and summer opportunities to explore the world are tremendous. For example, there is an amazing spring break trip to Iceland for students to travel to Iceland for the Global Student Leaders Summit among other opportunities. The student teacher ratio is what you would expect from any private school and the teachers are well trained by some of the best schools in the world. Be warned that the classwork is extremely rigorous for it utilizes the Cambridge IGCSE curriculum as its standard, which is equivalent to college level work in the United States. An undisciplined student will NOT do well here due to the heavy courseload requirements. The teachers understand this and go beyond the call of duty and offer afterschool review sessions to help students stay on track. Dorm rooms are modern and offer twin and triple accommodations. The school works hard to match roommates of a similar disposition but entirely different culture. For example, a quiet American student would be matched with a quiet student from Asia, Russia or Europe, not another American. Overall, the administration is very responsive to student needs and any parental concerns. There is a parent portal to monitor a student's work progress daily and direct contact with the teachers as needed.
- Posted by Parent - ivyle
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.
It seems to be highly likely that the COVID-19 virus will spread to the United States. We look at step schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.