EF Academy New York
5.00 (9 reviews)
Tel: (914) 495-6028
EF Academy New York Photo #2 - Our state-of-the-art science labs engage students in the STEM fields along with STEM clubs that include computer coding, 3D design and print club, Engineering club, web and app design club, electronics club and archaeology club. Our strongest science students apply to the Columbia University Science Honors Program which they participate in on Saturdays.
EF Academy New York Photo #3 - South Hall is our brand new dorm for our 9th and 10th graders. It opened September 2016 and features spacious triple rooms, social lounges and a kitchen.
EF Academy New York Photo #6 - There are many spaces to lounge and socialize around campus. We have plenty of natural light and comfy chairs
EF Academy New York Photo #7 - Our small class sizes allow for personal attention. The average class size is 17 students
EF Academy New York Photo #8 - Our theater is home not only to our dramatic and musical productions, but also serves as the venue for important events on campus such as Lunar New Year and assemblies featuring a Holocaust survivor, an Olympic Gold Medalist and a University a cappella group
EF Academy New York Photo #9 - The EF Academy Storm boasts several interscholastic sports teams including: Boys Soccer, Girls Soccer, Girls Volleyball, Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, Golf, Cross Country, Track and Field, Cheerleading
- Safe Learning Promise 2021: We are committed to ensuring our students continue stay on track with their education no matter what. Learn more about our promise.
- Surrounded by 100 acres of wooded grounds, EF Academy New York takes you to one of the most international cities in the world.
- Experience a modern, American-style education in an international high school with space and encouragement to study and reach your aspirations.
- Earn an internationally recognized degree, get personalized course planning and university preparation and engage in more than 120 learning enrichment and club activities per year.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)|
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||650 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||100 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||60 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||IB French B SL/HL, IB German A: Literature SL/HL, IB Spanish B SL/HL, IB Biology HL/SL, IB Business and Management SL/HL, IB Chemistry HL/SL, IB Chinese A Literature SL/HL, IB Computer Science SL, IB Core: CAS, EE & TOK, IB Economics HL/SL, IB English A: Language and Literature SL/HL, IB English A: Literature SL/HL, IB English B SL/HL, IB Environmental Systems and Societies SL, IB French Ab Initio SL, IB Further Mathematics HL, IB Geography SL, IB German Ab Initio SL, IB History HL/SL, IB Korean A: Literature SL/HL, IB Mandarin ab Initio SL, IB Mathematical Studies SL, IB Mathematics SL/HL, IB Music SL/HL, IB Norwegian A: Literature SL/HL, IB Physics HL/SL, IB Portuguese A: Literature SL/HL, IB Psychology SL, IB Russian A: Literature SL/HL, IB Self-taught A Literature SL, IB Spanish A: Literature SL/HL, IB Spanish Ab Initio SL, IB Sports, Health & Exercise SL, IB Thai A: Literature SL/HL, IB Theater Arts SL/HL, IB Vietnamese A: Literature SL/HL, IB Visual Arts SL/HL|
|Average SAT score||1200|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$58,500|
|Tuition Notes||Day students welcome to join weekend activities|
|Admissions Director||Yagmur Yaraman|
|Admissions Associate||Lauren Blankstein|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,|
Cross Country, Golf,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||51 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
AI Club, Anime Club, Chess & GO Club, Chinese Language and Culture, Christian Club, Code Club, Cooking Club, Culture and Language Exchange Club, Culture Fair Club, D.E.A.R. Club, Dance Club, DECA Leaders and Entrepreneurs Club, DJ Club, Drama Club, E-Mart Club, E-sports Club, EF Talks Club, EFTV Club, Environmental Leadership Club, Finance Club, Girls Who Code Club, Habitudes - Habits and Attitudes of Leadership, Hands to Paw Club, Language A Club, Literary Magazine, Lunar New Year Club, Magic Circle Club, Math Club, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Outdoor Leadership, Paint the School Club, PC Builds Club, Peer Tutoring Club, Philanthropy Club, Pride Not Prejudice Club, Recycling Club, Robotics Club, RPG D&D Club, SAT Prep Club, Social Media Marketing Agency Club, Spirit Club, TedX Club, Yearbook Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Advanced Art Portfolio Club, Art Club, Learn to Play Guitar Club, Rock Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equestrian Club, Mindful Yogis Club, Tennis Club
Lights, labs, studios and trails
- A four-year high school experience at EF Academy New York includes, US High School Diploma and IB Diploma classes where you will engage in lessons and interact with your classmates in inspiring, spacious classrooms. Theater students step into the spotlight in our beautiful auditorium where full-length plays are staged annually. Science labs equipped with state-of-the-art equipment and welcoming art studios not only enrich your classes, they also host science and art clubs after school and are available for you to use for independent study. Complete your school day with a bit of physical activity in our fully equipped gym, dance studio or basketball courts, or get some fresh air by going on a walk or run around over two kilometers of off-road trails on campus.
- EF Academy New York is tucked in the quiet suburban town of Thornwood and it is characterized by the many pathways, trails and woodland that surround its academic and residence buildings. Just down the hill from the school is Rose Hill Shopping Center, a small plaza with restaurants and shops. New York City and the famous island of Manhattan are 45 minutes away. Here you will have plenty of opportunities to make the US`s most cultural city your classroom - class trips to museums, plays and New York`s neighborhoods promote experiential learning, which will allow you to truly immerse yourself in the subject material you are studying and deepen your knowledge.
- At EF Academy New York, you will have over 50 clubs and 10 varsity sports to choose from, plus opportunities to create your own. There will always be something taking place on campus, but some activities will take you beyond our school for an exciting adventure. Activities take place after school and on the weekends and range from organized trips to Manhattan and academic competitions, to basketball league championships and Model UN conferences.
- Our campus has three residence buildings with a variety of quiet study areas and student lounges on each floor. A key part of the boarding experience is learning how to develop independence, time management and collaboration skills by living with peers on campus. Students live with roommates from different countries which encourages cultural exchange. Resident Advisors live in the residences alongside students and provide 24/7 support and supervision. In addition to evening study hall and tutoring, the Residential and Community Life team incorporates regular activities to foster a strong feeling of community. Our global communications network so there will always be someone parents can get in touch with, on campus or in their home country.
- The New York area is host to dozens of the most respected universities in the US, whether that's NYU in famed Greenwich Village or Ivy League Columbia University. Many students take pre-college courses at these universities during the school year. Our school in Thornwood is an ideal setting in which to prepare for university enrollment in New York State, on the East Coast of the US and internationally. During the school year, representatives from 150 universities visit our campus to speak with our students.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: PK-12 | 957 students
291 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
(212) 724-6360 24.5 PK-12
- Yonkers Grades: PK-11 | 59 students
170 Hudson Terrace
Yonkers, NY 10701
(914) 968-7047 12.5 PK-11
I just moved to Morocco after living in NY for over 30 years. I can wholeheartedly say that the EF Academy is an exceptional school for your kids, and it truly prepares them for their college years. The staff from the recruiters to the teachers are second to none, and they are incredibly good at their craft. I highly recommend this school without any hesitation.
- Posted by Administrator - F.H. Benzakour
I have worked as an admissions consultant the past two years, and I am very proud to recommend our students this school. What is truly unique with EF Academy is the international student body. With students from all over the world, the teachers are used to working in a multicultural environment, which I know the students appreciate. The school is located just 50 minutes North of Manhattan, which makes it easy for the students to both enjoy the peaceful campus as well as the hectic City. The teachers are exceptional, and the most common feedback I get from my students is that the teachers "actually cares" about them and want them to perform to the best of their ability. By having trusted adults around them, the students are thriving, and a result to that is the great university placements our students have received year after year.
- Posted by Administrator - Catharina
I would like to tell you my story with EF academy. One day I was on Facebook and saw the page of EF academy North Africa that the admissions team was going to arrive in my city three days later. I had the courage to call, and I ran into the director of admissions whose flight had just landed in Morocco whom I would like to thank at the same time as well as all his team. Besides, for people interested, they can contact the person in charge of admissions to Morocco on 0661 409 047. An adorable and kind lady. As a parent, I would like to thank EF for this beautiful and pleasant experience that I experienced this year 2020. My son and I always wanted the best for his education and his career and EF gave us this opportunity. Students have everything to succeed: modern rooms, nurse, healthy meals, gym, study area, rest area, clean environment and lots of green space and the most important thing is discipline then you stay confident because you know your son is safe.
- Posted by Parent - Wafaa
EF Academy is a great school, a school that truly cares about the education, well-being, and fulfillment of its students. The campuses are located in great, beautiful, and safe areas. The teachers are kind, caring, fun, and always ready to help. The food is super healthy and varied from Asian to Mediterranean cuisine. The best part is the deserts, yummy. The school offers a range of clubs and activities for students to learn, express themselves, and develop their leadership, collaboration, time-management, and other skills. I am grateful and proud to work for EF Academy and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a life-enriching experience.
- Posted by Administrator - Chaimaa
EF is a friendly, stimulating place to work and study. It's close to NYC, but the campus is surrounded by beautiful woods, with lots of fresh air and open space. The students represent virtually the whole international community, and it's fascinating to work with the unique cultural perspectives they bring. There is a wide range of clubs and activities, from Model UN and 'EF Talks' - our version of student-created TED style speeches - to the many trips offered by the school, to serious athletic programs in soccer, basketball and other sports. Academically, students will find a wide range of classes and programs, from full IB Diploma to ESL support, and everything in between. I teach in both the Arts and the Humanities departments, and the quality of the teaching and the dedication of my colleagues is exemplary - never more clearly seen than in their quick and highly creative adaptation to the current online teaching experience. I'm proud to teach at EF!
- Posted by Teacher - Jim Fyfe
This school is the best I've ever worked at. We have students from all over the world, and the multicultural classes make for incredibly interesting discussions. Our headmaster and dean are always engaging with staff and students and they're also always on the cutting edge of education theory. The frequent art galleries, musical exhibitions, and other performances really breathe life into the culture of EF, but the heart and soul is the international intelligence of the entire community. There is a gym on campus, there are some beautiful trails on the grounds, and there are also some handy stores and food options within walking distance that students/staff can frequent when they want to change it up. Recently, our response to COVID-19 has been swift, and I think all the technology we've utilized in order to keep our students (who are all over the globe) up to speed with their lessons in a fun, engaging, thoughtful, and meaningful way has been second to none. I'd definitely recommend this school to teachers, students, and administrators.
- Posted by Teacher - Stephen Henkel
The Best School on the very large space of international Education where,the ideology is not present.Very pleased to see this amazing school.Mother of one girl that wants to study in free liberty of expression.
- Posted by Parent - Simona
I spent a fruitful experience during my boarding school studies at EF Academy NY, I am extremely honored to have been exposed to a rich and fulfilling experience on both educational and personal levels. It was a move that proved very beneficial and well-rounded from all aspects. You have the choice of choosing to achieve the American school diploma you desire wether it being the International Baccalaureate (IB) or the New York State high school diploma (NYS), the IGCSE or Prep Program, speaking of earning diplomas, that means attending class, classes which are highly prestigious with, the curriculum is designed to meet your interests and needs, but just like anyone anywhere you may encounter challenges. This gives you the opportunity to learn being self-dependent, teachers will do so much to get you there!! speaking of interests what I loved most was the diversity I was surrounded by. Just imagine how much information was processed in a class with no less than 7 different nationalities, A school with over 76 different nationalities. Even out of class we would often negotiate global issues and establish solutions, or exchange cultural experiences, it allowed us to look at things from different perspectives!! EF ny is a school which I like referring to as my second home for a number of reasons; to name a few was the care from the house parents, the modern rooms and beautiful classrooms, the continuing development of technology throughout the school, the guidance through out the experience from your personal counsellors and highly experienced teachers. The modern facilities and wide areas enabled us a variety of co-curricular activities to participate in(important for college essays) and lastly the international dining with lots of different delicious options enabled me healthy eating habits that leads ultimately a clear mindset and a positive attitude towards learning. It is a school that has enabled me to enjoy the full experience of educational anddd personal developments!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Ahmed Ali Shafiee
The EF Academy International Boarding School is a well kept secret located on a beautiful modern campus in Thornwood, NY (Westchester County). It also has campuses around the world (our other EF favorite campus is in Oxford England) and once you gain admission into one you can exchange into the others for a more international boarding school experience. One of the few private schools in the United States where you can earn and International Baccalaureate (IB) and a High School Diploma. The school draws top students from over 75 countries (Asia, Europe, Africa, South America and Russia) and over 45 languages are spoken on campus. The spring break trips and summer opportunities to explore the world are tremendous. For example, there is an amazing spring break trip to Iceland for students to travel to Iceland for the Global Student Leaders Summit among other opportunities. The student teacher ratio is what you would expect from any private school and the teachers are well trained by some of the best schools in the world. Be warned that the classwork is extremely rigorous for it utilizes the Cambridge IGCSE curriculum as its standard, which is equivalent to college level work in the United States. An undisciplined student will NOT do well here due to the heavy courseload requirements. The teachers understand this and go beyond the call of duty and offer afterschool review sessions to help students stay on track. Dorm rooms are modern and offer twin and triple accommodations. The school works hard to match roommates of a similar disposition but entirely different culture. For example, a quiet American student would be matched with a quiet student from Asia, Russia or Europe, not another American. Overall, the administration is very responsive to student needs and any parental concerns. There is a parent portal to monitor a student's work progress daily and direct contact with the teachers as needed.
- Posted by Parent - ivyle
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.