Dwight School Photo #2 - Dwight is dedicated to igniting the spark of genius in every child. Dwight students can thrive anywhere in the world
Dwight School Photo #3 - Dwight's 40,000 Athletic Center includes a 6-lane pool, a regulation-size basketball court, a weight room, a dance studio, and outdoor tennis courts.
Dwight School Photo #4 - At Dwight, athletics and extra-curricular activities, ranging from A (Art) to Z (Zumba), spark minds, bodies, and imaginations.
Dwight School Photo #5 - Dwight fosters a warm, welcoming, and inspiring community, which embraces diversity and mutual-respect to help build a better world.
Dwight School Photo #6 - Dwight is an international school with campuses in New York, London, Seoul, Shanghai, and on Vancouver Island. Dwight students have a myriad of opportunities for international travel, exchanges, and cross-cultural collaborations.
Dwight School Photo #7 - Named for a former president of Yale University, Dwight graduates gain admission to the most selective colleges and universities throughout the world.
- Founded in 1872 and located in New York, Dwight School is an internationally renowned private international school (nursery-grade 12) committed to educating the next generation of innovative global leaders - one student at a time. Providing a personalized experience for each student through the academically vigorous International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum, Dwight is dedicated to "igniting the spark of genius" in every child.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||1033 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||168 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 1|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$51,000|
|Admissions Director||Maryll Spahn|
|Admissions Associate||Melissa Andolina|
|Total Sports Offered||17 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Fencing, Golf, Gymnastics, Rugby, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||24 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Contemporary Arts Society, Dance Lab, Darkroom Photography, Digital Photography, Dwight TV, Green Roof Space Research and Design, Green Team, Improv Performance Group, Institute for Civic Leadership Fellows Program, Jazz Band, Mock Trials, Model UN, Newspaper, Performance Music, Portfolio Prep, Prom Committee, Spinning, Student Council, Tai Chi, Upper School Theater Production, Upper School Vocal Ensemble, Yearbook, Yoga, Young Writers Society|
What sets Dwight apart
- No two students are alike - and no two student journeys at Dwight are the same. Dwight customizes an educational path for every student based on interests and talents.
- Dwight's student-teacher ratio is among the lowest for New York City independent schools.
- Dwight is a close-knit, diverse community in which every student is empowered to make a difference.
- Established mentorship programs create bonds between older and younger students inside and outside the classroom.
- Dwight's community partnership in East Harlem created the Dwight School Athletic Center.
- Dwight in New York is the flagship campus of The Dwight Schools, a global network of IB World Schools in London, Seoul, Shanghai, Dubai, and online.
- Dwight students participate in exchange programs, curricular and creative collaborations, online programs, international athletic competitions, and global leadership conferences.
- Dwight is the first school in the Americas to offer the comprehensive IB curriculum for students ages 3-19.
- The IB educates students to be globally-minded critical thinkers and global leaders.
- The IB is the "gold standard" in pre-university preparation.
- Student innovation and creativity are nurtured across campus.
- An after school "Spark Tank" helps students of all ages develop social entrepreneurial initiatives. Students can apply for grants to take their novel ideas and inventions with real-world application into the marketplace.
- Our 1:1 laptop program for students begins in fourth grade and ensures access to the latest technologies for learning.
- Our brand-new, state-of-the-art rooftop pavilions, which include an open observatory, are designed to be flexible learning and studio spaces in which students can explore, create, and let their imaginations soar.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: K-12 | 1329 students
108 E 89th St
New York, NY 10128
(212)423-5450 0.8 K-12
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.
Here's a recap of the steps you need to follow to find the right school for your child. Work through the process in sequence from beginning to end.
Did you think that corporal punishment in our schools was extinct? Sadly, it isn't. Here are some facts and some suggestions as to what you can do to help eliminate corporal punishment once and for all.