Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School
- Top Ranked NY School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-12
- Students: 1,240 students
- Yearly Tuition: $38,890
- Application Deadline: Dec. 15
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 41%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Number of AP Courses
Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English, Environmental Science, French Language, Japanese, Latin, Music Theory, Psychology, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, U.S. Government, U.S. History, World History
Classroom Dress Code
Finances and Admission
Yearly Tuition Cost
Ms. Elaine Perlman
Total Sports Offered
- Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School was founded in 1764 by King George II to prepare students to attend Old King’s College, now Columbia University. After the Revolutionary War, the School was renamed the Grammar School of Columbia University and functioned for 100 years under the direct auspices of the College. In 1956 the school became co-educational and was renamed Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School thirteen years later. Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School’s approach to learning balances a rigorous comprehensive college preparatory curriculum with healthy social and emotional development. In partnership with the parent body, CGPS’s diverse community shares a fundamental commitment to developing high academic achievement and a sense of social responsibility. The School is strongly committed to co-education and feels that a comfortable but structured social setting is where boys and girls create the most effective educational environment. An enriched, integrated curriculum facilitates learning through interactive discussion, cooperative group work and stimulating activities. While academic demands are high, the atmosphere in the classrooms is warm and comfortable. The program is designed to foster innovative and independent thinking. Students are provided the skills to meet educational challenges as well as the opportunity to assess their progress and express their creativity. The CGPS community embraces the value of intellectual pursuit, good character and global responsibility.
Such an amazing school! I had such a great time here.
Fantastic community with great teachers, caring administrators, very well thought out extra curricular activities and genuine student body.
I absolutely recommend this school for anybody. I will be graduating this year, having attended since kindergarten, and I'm very sad to be leaving. I have been exposed to every type of extracurricular including music, art, theater, and sports. If you find something that you love at CGPS, as I found sports, we have faculty with expertise that can take you to any level you wish to go to. I have received a world class education here, made friends that will last a lifetime, been privileged to learn from amazing teachers who are deeply passionate about what they teach, and so much more. I have grown up at CGPS, and now, having gotten into college early decision thanks to our wonderful college counselors, I am faced with the reality of having to leave next year. I urge everyone to consider CGPS for their child. You will find a community of caring individuals who care about helping your child and are committed to making sure they receive the best education possible, as I have for the past thirteen years.
Endorse Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
5 Reasons Why You Might Change Schools
Here are five reasons why you might want to change schools.
2020-21 Best SSAT Prep Courses Reviewed
The SSAT’s questions are different than questions on other standardized tests. Make sure you learn about the best SSAT test prep programs out there.
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.