- Top Ranked NY School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-12
- Enrollment: 1,254 students
- Yearly Tuition: $38,890
- Application Deadline: Dec. 15
- Source: Verified school update
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 40%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Number of AP Courses
Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English, Environmental Science, French Language, Japanese, Latin, Music Theory, Psychology, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, U.S. Government, U.S. History, World History
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Yearly Tuition Cost
Ms. Elaine Perlman
Total Sports Offered
- Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School was founded in 1764 by King George II to prepare students to attend Old King’s College, now Columbia University. After the Revolutionary War, the School was renamed the Grammar School of Columbia University and functioned for 100 years under the direct auspices of the College. In 1956 the school became co-educational and was renamed Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School thirteen years later. Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School’s approach to learning balances a rigorous comprehensive college preparatory curriculum with healthy social and emotional development. In partnership with the parent body, CGPS’s diverse community shares a fundamental commitment to developing high academic achievement and a sense of social responsibility. The School is strongly committed to co-education and feels that a comfortable but structured social setting is where boys and girls create the most effective educational environment. An enriched, integrated curriculum facilitates learning through interactive discussion, cooperative group work and stimulating activities. While academic demands are high, the atmosphere in the classrooms is warm and comfortable. The program is designed to foster innovative and independent thinking. Students are provided the skills to meet educational challenges as well as the opportunity to assess their progress and express their creativity. The CGPS community embraces the value of intellectual pursuit, good character and global responsibility.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School cost?
Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School's tuition is approximately $38,890 for private students.
What sports does Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School offer?
Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School offers 13 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball and Winter Track. Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in New York for most sports offered.
What is Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School?
The application deadline for Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School is Dec. 15.
Such an amazing school! I had such a great time here.
Fantastic community with great teachers, caring administrators, very well thought out extra curricular activities and genuine student body.
I absolutely recommend this school for anybody. I will be graduating this year, having attended since kindergarten, and I'm very sad to be leaving. I have been exposed to every type of extracurricular including music, art, theater, and sports. If you find something that you love at CGPS, as I found sports, we have faculty with expertise that can take you to any level you wish to go to. I have received a world class education here, made friends that will last a lifetime, been privileged to learn from amazing teachers who are deeply passionate about what they teach, and so much more. I have grown up at CGPS, and now, having gotten into college early decision thanks to our wonderful college counselors, I am faced with the reality of having to leave next year. I urge everyone to consider CGPS for their child. You will find a community of caring individuals who care about helping your child and are committed to making sure they receive the best education possible, as I have for the past thirteen years.
Endorse Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
The Evolution of Early Reading Strategies for Children
Explore the journey of early reading strategies from the 17th century to the present day, uncovering the evolution of tools, methods, and technologies that have shaped how children learn to read. This article delves into the historical milestones and contemporary approaches that offer a fascinating look at literacy development in children.
The Evolution of School Choice: A Focus on Vouchers
Explore the history and evolution of school choice, focusing on vouchers. This article provides an in-depth analysis of vouchers' origins, growth, benefits, and criticisms as part of the broader school choice movement, along with a look at current trends and future outlook.
August 11, 2023Admissions Matters: Following Up, The Competition, & Deadlines
Navigating the complex landscape of private high school admissions requires expertise and insight. This article delves into essential areas that every school should master: inquiry follow-up, standing out in a competitive market, and choosing between rolling admissions and fixed admissions deadlines.