Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School
5.00 (3 reviews)
- Founded in 1764, Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School is a coed, nonsectarian institution educating students in Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade. Detailed school overiew, below:.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||1,240 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||230 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Number of AP Courses||18 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English, Environmental Science, French Language, Japanese, Latin, Music Theory, Psychology, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, U.S. Government, U.S. History, World History|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$38,890|
|Admissions Director||Ms. Elaine Perlman|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Golf,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
- Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School was founded in 1764 by King George II to prepare students to attend Old King’s College, now Columbia University. After the Revolutionary War, the School was renamed the Grammar School of Columbia University and functioned for 100 years under the direct auspices of the College. In 1956 the school became co-educational and was renamed Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School thirteen years later. Columbia Grammar & Preparatory School’s approach to learning balances a rigorous comprehensive college preparatory curriculum with healthy social and emotional development. In partnership with the parent body, CGPS’s diverse community shares a fundamental commitment to developing high academic achievement and a sense of social responsibility. The School is strongly committed to co-education and feels that a comfortable but structured social setting is where boys and girls create the most effective educational environment. An enriched, integrated curriculum facilitates learning through interactive discussion, cooperative group work and stimulating activities. While academic demands are high, the atmosphere in the classrooms is warm and comfortable. The program is designed to foster innovative and independent thinking. Students are provided the skills to meet educational challenges as well as the opportunity to assess their progress and express their creativity. The CGPS community embraces the value of intellectual pursuit, good character and global responsibility.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: K-12 | 1317 students
108 E 89th St
New York, NY 10128
(212)423-5200 0.8 K-12
- New York Grades: PK-12 | 957 students
291 Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
(212)724-6360 0.2 PK-12
Such an amazing school! I had such a great time here.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Emily
Fantastic community with great teachers, caring administrators, very well thought out extra curricular activities and genuine student body.
- Posted by Parent - GS
I absolutely recommend this school for anybody. I will be graduating this year, having attended since kindergarten, and I'm very sad to be leaving. I have been exposed to every type of extracurricular including music, art, theater, and sports. If you find something that you love at CGPS, as I found sports, we have faculty with expertise that can take you to any level you wish to go to. I have received a world class education here, made friends that will last a lifetime, been privileged to learn from amazing teachers who are deeply passionate about what they teach, and so much more. I have grown up at CGPS, and now, having gotten into college early decision thanks to our wonderful college counselors, I am faced with the reality of having to leave next year. I urge everyone to consider CGPS for their child. You will find a community of caring individuals who care about helping your child and are committed to making sure they receive the best education possible, as I have for the past thirteen years.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - emily
Nearby Homes for Sale
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.