German International School New York
- German International School New York (GIS) welcomes families of every background with an interest in German language and culture into our vibrant Pre-K through Grade 12 college prep day school in the heart of Westchester.
- Since 1980, we have combined German and American curricula into our academically outstanding multilingual program, offering German, English, French, Spanish and Latin.
- The strength of our academic program, which covers all of the major disciplines of the arts, math and sciences, and the depth of our international community nurture children’s natural capacity for languages and support their growth into inquisitive, open-minded and socially responsible global citizens.
- At GIS, we strive to create an atmosphere marked by openness, trust and mutual respect witih the belief that happy students learn best.
- Graduates earn a NY high school diploma and a German International Abitur/Baccalaureate and are accepted to competitive colleges and universities in the US, Canada and Europe. We open a world of possibilities for your child.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||417 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||31 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,025|
|Tuition Notes||Pre-K: $15,500 K - 4: $19,025 5 - 12: $19,525|
|Admissions Director||Dr. Simone Bruemmer|
- • Children do not need to speak or understand German for admission to our Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten programs. • Applicants to our Lower School (grades 1 – 4) must demonstrate a basic understanding of German such that they are comfortable participating in classroom activities and homework assignments in German. And while you do not need to speak German at home, those children who have opportunities to converse and read in German outside of school have an overall easier time achieving fluency and literacy. • Applicants to our Middle and Upper Schools must be fluent and literate in German. • English fluency is not required at any grade level.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Rye Grades: PK-12 | 900 students
Rye, NY 10580
(914)925-4513 3.2 PK-12
- White Plains Grades: K-8 | 222 students
888 Mamaroneck Ave
White Plains, NY 10605
(914)761-0124 1.1 K-8
- Albany Grades: PK-12 | 335 students
135-140 Academy Road
Albany, NY 12208
(518)429-2300 112.8 PK-12
Nearby Homes for Sale
Educating a gifted child can be daunting as there is no clear roadmap for your child's education. Some thoughts and suggestions here.
Signs that your school might be failing don't suddenly appear all at once like a flashing neon sign. Instead, they appear gradually over weeks, months, and years. We explore the warning signs and offer some suggestions to mitigate them.
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.