Fire Mountain School
Fire Mountain School is a small progressive elementary school dedicated to assisting children in their ongoing work of exploring and making sense of the world.
Teachers and parents join together to create a community structure within which children experience discovery, challenge, experimentation, risk, failure and mastery.
FMS has three central goals for children: one, that they develop a strong and positive sense of themselves; two, that they come to see learning as an ongoing, joyful and self-initiated quest; and three, that they come to know themselves as interactive participants in the wider natural, social and practical world.
Quick Stats (2023)
- School Type: Alternative School
- Grades: Kindergarten-2
- Enrollment: 6 students
- Yearly Tuition: $4,000
- Average class size: 10 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Fire Mountain School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Oregon for:
Student Body Type
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
some scholarships available
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
- Low student-teacher ratio
- Strong community and family atmosphere
- Child-centered and thematic approach to education
- Encouragement of individual development
- High value placed on creative exploration and play
- One day a week devoted to Nature Awareness studies
- Focus on core academic skills
- Beautiful natural setting
- Over 20 years experience
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Fire Mountain School cost?
Fire Mountain School's tuition is approximately $4,000 for private students.
When is the application deadline for Fire Mountain School?
The application deadline for Fire Mountain School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse Fire Mountain School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
Enrichment Resources For Children Ages 10-14
I asked ChatGPT to list apps, YouTube Channels, and podcasts suitable for enriching the studies of students ages 10-14. (We'll look at resources for younger and older students in another article.)
February 13, 2023Designing Assignments In The ChatGPT Era
AI (Artificial Intelligence), specifically ChatGPT, poses some serious challenges for teachers. We explore the importance of teaching students how to attribute the work and ideas of others.