First Evangelical Lutheran School
- First Lutheran School was first organized in 1859 by Pastor Fachtmann, our first Pastor, who maintained it for 7 years before the first teacher was hired.
- Remaining as a Christian day school since its inception, our school blossomed from only a few pupils to a record enrollment of 295 students set in 1961.
- In recent years, our school has maintained a fairly stable enrollment of about 115 students.
- We assist families in the spiritual growth of their children to know and live for their Savior Jesus Christ in all areas of their lives.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Council for Exceptional Children|
|Religious Affiliation||Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||110 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 27%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||16:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(non-offensive, neat, clean clothing)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$3,650|
|Tuition Notes||non-member tuition is listed, other WELS is 2100 and members pay 500|
|Admissions Director||Matthew Meitner|
|Admissions Associate||Rachel Radloff|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Softball, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Softball,|
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
band, choir, fine arts, piano
- First Lutheran School was blessed in 2002 with a new gymnasium, music room, technology lab, library, and school offices.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- SpartaGrades: PK-8 | 120 students
419 Jefferson Avenue
Sparta, WI 54656
- RocklandGrades: 1-10 | 15 students
N3200 County Road J
Rockland, WI 54653
- ViroquaGrades: PK-8
741 N East Ave
Viroqua, WI 54665
January 16, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 16, 2018
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.