Foundations Preschool Washtenaw
We are the largest, nationally accredited early education center in Washtenaw County providing subsidized tuition for all enrolled children and year-round extended care.
Through our safety net early education programming and essential services, we serve approximately 160 of the most needful children in the area each year, ranging in age from 6 weeks to 12 years.
In addition to seven classrooms, our facility holds two large indoor play spaces and more than 20,000 square feet of playgrounds, including a variety of play structures and raised bed gardens.
We offer multiple programs: Preschool for ages 6 weeks to 5 years from September through mid-June Days of Discovery summer programming from mid-June through August for kids up to age 12 Great Start Readiness program; Michigan's state-funded preschool Program for four-year-old children with factors which may place them at risk of educational failure.
Along with our lead and associate teachers, our cadre of professionals includes an early learning program director, a social worker, and an English/Spanish translation professional.
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Details
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 20%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Tuition is on a sliding scale and based on household income.
- Foundations Preschool began as Perry Nursery School in 1934 in the depth of the Great Depression. Perry Nursery School was started by Edith Bader, Assistant Superintendent of the Ann Arbor Public Schools, as one of four WPA (Works Progress Administration) Nursery Schools founded to assist children from depression-ridden homes as well as give employment to low income mothers hired to staff the nurseries.
- It was named Perry Nursery School because it was housed in the Perry Elementary School.
- As the Depression eased in the late 1930s, the three other WPA nurseries closed. Perry Nursery School survived and in 1942 became a Lanham Act Nursery. The Lanham Act, established by the US Congress, provided funding to establish child care centers so mothers of young children could work in the growing defense industry.As World War II ended and mothers employed in defense industries again became full-time homemakers, a group of parents, administrators and community activists recognized there was still a need for full-time child care for young children. Many women were the sole or major supporters of their families. In addition to low-income and divorced mothers, there were war widows and wives who supported the family while their husbands went to college under the GI Bill.
- In 1948 Perry Nursery School was incorporated by the state of Michigan as a non-profit organization. In 1952 the Nursery was made a member agency of the United Way and it still is. In 1967 the Perry School Building closed and Perry Nursery moved into a house on Washtenaw Rd. near Hill St. In 1992 the Nursery School moved to its current location on Packard near Carpenter. On October 4th, 2014, Perry Nursery School became FOUNDATIONS PRESCHOOL OF WASHTENAW COUNTY.
- Even though Foundations Preschool has changed names, locations, students, teachers and directors over the years, the goal of providing quality, affordable child care for low-income families remains constant.
Profile last updated: 07/22/2021
Endorse Foundations Preschool Washtenaw. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Books Set In Private Schools
Enjoy a range of subject matter from recollections to murder mysteries, all set in private schools here at home and abroad.
Keep Ransomware Out of Your School
Small organizations like private schools are just as vulnerable to ransomware attacks as large organizations are. Here's how to deal with ransomware in your school.
Endow A Teaching Position
Endowing a teaching position accomplishes many things for the private school that gave you the foundation for your adult life.