- Gateway School, founded in 1970, is a co-ed, Kindergarten through Middle School day school in Santa Cruz, CA. We are dedicated to nurturing academic excellence, intellectual curiosity, personal character and active engagement.
- We value collaboration, creativity and a love of learning, and encourage our students to become compassionate and responsible citizens.
- We invite all families to visit our website or schedule a tour, and get to know our community!.
Gateway School places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||243 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 29 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Flexible Tuition is available for families that qualify.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Flag Football, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chess, Computer Game Design & Programming, Flute & Piano, Foreign Language, Jr. Engineering, Lego Robotics, Math Club, Student Council, Tai Chi, Yearbook|
- Gateway School, founded in 1970, is an independent, co-ed day school in Santa Cruz, CA for students in grades Kindergarten through Middle School.
- Our mission is to inspire children to lead lives of purpose and compassion through scholarship and citizenship.
- We nurture academic success and intellectual curiosity, personal character and integrity, and individual agency and engagement.
- Our program is rooted in play, creativity, and critical thinking.
- Our students develop communication and collaboration skills while becoming compassionate and responsible citizens.
- We feature Art, Music, Spanish, Mindfulness, Life Lab Science, and a Makerspace as integral parts of our program, along with small classes, a gorgeous nine-acre campus, and a loving community of families.
- Gateway is the only K-8 school in Santa Cruz accredited by the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS).
- We invite all families to visit our website or schedule a tour, and get to know our community!
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Santa Cruz Grades: K-6 | 50 students
366 Gault St
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
(831)429-8444 3.1 K-6
- Santa Cruz Grades: NS-8 | 159 students
2190 Empire Grade
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(831)425-0519 5.5 NS-8
- Aptos Grades: PK-9 | 283 students
6230 Soquel Dr
Aptos, CA 95003
(831)476-1646 6.9 PK-9
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.