Tel: (831) 423-0341
- Gateway School, founded in 1970, is a co-ed, Kindergarten through Middle School day school in Santa Cruz, CA. We are dedicated to nurturing academic excellence, intellectual curiosity, personal character and active engagement.
- We value collaboration, creativity and a love of learning, and encourage our students to become compassionate and responsible citizens.
- We invite all families to visit our website or schedule a tour, and get to know our community!.
Gateway School places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||243 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 29 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Flexible Tuition is available for families that qualify.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Flag Football, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Flag Football, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chess, Computer Game Design & Programming, Flute & Piano, Foreign Language, Jr. Engineering, Lego Robotics, Math Club, Student Council, Tai Chi, Yearbook|
- Gateway School, founded in 1970, is an independent, co-ed day school in Santa Cruz, CA for students in grades Kindergarten through Middle School.
- Our mission is to inspire children to lead lives of purpose and compassion through scholarship and citizenship.
- We nurture academic success and intellectual curiosity, personal character and integrity, and individual agency and engagement.
- Our program is rooted in play, creativity, and critical thinking.
- Our students develop communication and collaboration skills while becoming compassionate and responsible citizens.
- We feature Art, Music, Spanish, Mindfulness, Life Lab Science, and a Makerspace as integral parts of our program, along with small classes, a gorgeous nine-acre campus, and a loving community of families.
- Gateway is the only K-8 school in Santa Cruz accredited by the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS).
- We invite all families to visit our website or schedule a tour, and get to know our community!
Profile last updated:
- People that viewed Gateway School also viewed these schools: Spring Hill-advanced Elementary School Of Santa Cr, Santa Cruz Childrens School, Santa Cruz Waldorf School, Santa Cruz Montessori School and Kirby School.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Santa Cruz Grades: PK-6 | 85 students
250 California Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(831) 427-2641 1.1 PK-6
- Santa Cruz Grades: K-6 | 46 students
366 Gault St
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
(831) 429-8444 3.1 K-6
- Santa Cruz Grades: PK-8 | 156 students
2190 Empire Grade
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(831) 425-0519 5.5 PK-8
- Aptos Grades: PK-9 | 247 students
6230 Soquel Dr
Aptos, CA 95003
(831) 476-1646 6.9 PK-9
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?