Gateway School, founded in 1970, is a co-ed, Kindergarten through Middle School day school in Santa Cruz, CA. We are dedicated to nurturing academic excellence, intellectual curiosity, personal character and active engagement.
We value collaboration, creativity and a love of learning, and encourage our students to become compassionate and responsible citizens.
We invite all families to visit our website or schedule a tour, and get to know our community!.
- Top Ranked CA School
- Grades: Kindergarten-8
- Enrollment: 243 students
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 29 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Gateway School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Summer School Offered
Summer Program Details
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 48%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Feb. 29 / rolling
Flexible Tuition is available for families that qualify.
% on Financial Aid
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Chess, Computer Game Design & Programming, Flute & Piano, Foreign Language, Jr. Engineering, Lego Robotics, Math Club, Student Council, Tai Chi, Yearbook
- Gateway School, founded in 1970, is an independent, co-ed day school in Santa Cruz, CA for students in grades Kindergarten through Middle School.
- Our mission is to inspire children to lead lives of purpose and compassion through scholarship and citizenship.
- We nurture academic success and intellectual curiosity, personal character and integrity, and individual agency and engagement.
- Our program is rooted in play, creativity, and critical thinking.
- Our students develop communication and collaboration skills while becoming compassionate and responsible citizens.
- We feature Art, Music, Spanish, Mindfulness, Life Lab Science, and a Makerspace as integral parts of our program, along with small classes, a gorgeous nine-acre campus, and a loving community of families.
- Gateway is the only K-8 school in Santa Cruz accredited by the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS).
- We invite all families to visit our website or schedule a tour, and get to know our community!
Source: Verified school update
Endorse Gateway School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Don't Need Financial Aid? Step to the Front of the Line!
The fallout of the economic and financial meltdown of 2009 was far reaching. Private schools did not escape the consequences either. But that may be a good thing for you.
Suicide Prevention: Caring For Our Young People
At last we have a dedicated phone number for suicide and crisis support. The Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is 988. More about it and suicide prevention here.
July 20, 2022School Security: It Could Never Happen Here Or Could It?
School shootings and other emergency situations won't happen in your school, right? Who knows! Better to put in place the steps necessary to protect the school community than to be caught unprepared.