Greenacre Homes and School
- Founded in 1975, Greenacre Homes & School (Greenacres) is one of the most comprehensive and innovative agencies of its kind in Sonoma County serving boys and young men with special needs related to autism spectrum disorder, learning disabilities, post-traumatic stress disorder, developmental delays, abuse and emotional challenges. Located 55 miles north of San Francisco in Sebastopol, CA., Greenacres integrated services includes (5) five short & long-term residential therapeutic homes, a year-round non-public school, and a vocational training/life skills program currently serving students from 14 school districts.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||46 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- The Greenacre School program is consistent and complimentary to the residential program catalyzing the clients` transition into a less restrictive placement and a greater overall independent level of functioning. Dysfunctional behavior more than any other factor prevents integration of students into a less restrictive setting, thus it is a prime focus for the school program. The school provides a solid consistent, and predictable structured setting supported by a strong behavior modification program employing a point system, privilege program, and a realistic student store.
- A major portion of each day is dedicated to raising the reading, writing, and arithmetic skills of the students. Development of these basic skills eases students` transition into public school classrooms. There are a number of enrichment classes during the school week focusing on natural sciences, history, current events, physical fitness, and the arts. Assistive technology including software programs (speech recognition, electronic math worksheets) and hardware devices (smart boards, Ipads & laptops) are fully integrated and customized for each student's specific needs. The academic program also includes regular practicing of speech and language exercises designed by our Speech and Language Pathologist that are individualized to the students` specific needs and disabilities.
- We serve students with a wide variety of communication needs such as: Speech (articulation, fluency, phonology) Language (delayed language development, auditory processing) Social Pragmatic Skills (including Social Thinking and Social Emotional Learning) Several curriculums are used throughout the school and group homes to aid in communication development. Social perspective taking and social thinking strategies are used agency wide. (i.e. flexible brain, thinking of others etc. adopted from Michelle Garcia Winner`s work). The Kimochis program is one of the curriculums that has been adopted and is a safe and non-threatening way for students to address emotions and improve communication skills. Students learn to manage life`s challenges and choose to be respectful, responsible, resilient, compassionate and kind. Our other licensed therapists provide individual, group, family counseling, and weekly life skills classes. Additional professionals include two Occupational Therapists and a Psychiatrist overseeing medication. We create a therapeutic milieu focusing on relationships, development, and care.
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Sebastopol Grades: 9-12 | 44 students
P.O. Box 2079
Sebastopol, CA 95473
(707)634-9944 0.5 9-12
- Santa Rosa Grades: PK-12 | 374 students
655 Willowside Road
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
(707)575-7194 2.6 PK-12
- Sebastopol Grades: K-12 | 18 students
9360 Occidental Rd
Sebastopol, CA 95472
(707)824-1414 2.9 K-12
- Graton Grades: K-12 | 33 students
Po Box 369
Graton, CA 95444
(707)823-2880 3.2 K-12
Choosing a college is one of the rituals every family with a junior in private school needs to cope with. These five metrics will give you an overview of the process.
A long summer break offers plenty of time for a wide range of activities for every age group. Here are some of the options available.
Educating a gifted child can be daunting as there is no clear roadmap for your child's education. Some thoughts and suggestions here.