Hawaii Preparatory Academy
- Top Ranked HI School
- Grades: Kindergarten-12
- Enrollment: 642 students
- Yearly Tuition: $55,000
- Acceptance rate: 70%
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 4 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Hawaii Preparatory Academy ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Hawaii for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Club or Organization:
Chess Club, College Counseling Club, Cycling Club, Electronic Music club, Film Club, Hawaiian Club, International Club, Japanese Club, Ka Makani Club, North Hawai'i Youth Coalition, Nutrition Club, Origami Club, Peer Assistance Program, Philosophy Club, Photography Club, Project Water Club, Red Cross Youth Group, Red Key Guide Club (Student Ambassadors), Robotics Club, SAT Club, Spanish Club, Student Council, Students Against Destructive Decisions, Students for China Club, Tea & Philosophy Club, Vocal Music, Yearbook
- Founded in 1949, Hawaii Preparatory Academy (HPA) offers a rigorous, K-12 college-preparatory education, offering a dynamic global learning community. Rooted in the inclusive concept of ohana, HPA is a unique place to learn global citizenship and prepare for the college experience. HPA combines a traditional, vigorous foundation in the liberal arts with student-driven, project-based learning. Our curriculum and school culture are deeply influenced by a strong sense of place here on Hawaii Island, in the heart of world-famous Parker Ranch. HPA serves 600 students in grades K-12 on two campuses, the Village Campus and the Upper Campus. The Village Campus is home to our Lower and Middle Schools and comprises eight acres in the heart of downtown Waimea and where our kindergarten through grade 8 students attend classes. The Upper Campus comprises 220 acres in the foothills of the Kohala Mountains and is located a few minutes outside of Waimea. It is home to the Upper School (grades 9 to 12, and postgraduate). The Upper School academic program combines traditional education with our capstone project-based learning. HPA`s international award-winning Energy Lab hosts students engaged in independent research and serves as the school`s sustainability program hub. Here students concentrate on advanced computer science, robotics, and drones. Biotechnology projects using DNA PCR thermocycler and UV transilluminator, digital journalism and storytelling, electrical and mechanical engineering. Over the years, students have partnered with organizations like NASA, the W. M. Keck Observatory, NOAA, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, and others. Upper School students can also select from an extensive schedule of Honors and 17 AP classes. In addition to the Energy Lab, HPA offers a large heated pool, Issacs Art Gallery, tennis court with four courts, various water sports, an established after-school athletic program, horseback riding, a world-renowned Sea Turtle Tagging program, and many extracurricular activities where you can get your SCUBA diving certification or star in the fall musical. Day students from Hawaii are joined by boarding students from 15 states and 25 countries to create a diverse, international `ohana. Boarding students live in three residence halls located on the Upper Campus, where they gain independence and are immersed in school life that extends well beyond the classroom. Graduates often end up attending the finest universities around the world. HPA is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and the Hawai`i Association of Independent Schools.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Hawaii Preparatory Academy cost?
Hawaii Preparatory Academy's tuition is approximately $55,000 for private students and $4,000 for summer students.
What is the acceptance rate of Hawaii Preparatory Academy?
The acceptance rate of Hawaii Preparatory Academy is 70%, which is lower than the national average of 84%. Hawaii Preparatory Academy's acceptance rate is ranked among the top private schools in Hawaii with low acceptance rates.
Does Hawaii Preparatory Academy offer a summer program?
Yes, Hawaii Preparatory Academy offers a summer program. Visit their summer school page for more information.
What sports does Hawaii Preparatory Academy offer?
Hawaii Preparatory Academy offers 26 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Fit, Dance, Diving, Equestrian, Football, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Polo, Rugby, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Weightlifting and Wrestling. Hawaii Preparatory Academy is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Hawaii for most sports offered.
What is Hawaii Preparatory Academy's ranking?
Hawaii Preparatory Academy ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Hawaii for: Lowest average acceptance rates, Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees, Largest student body, Most sports offered and Most extracurriculars offered.
When is the application deadline for Hawaii Preparatory Academy?
The application deadline for Hawaii Preparatory Academy is Feb. 4 / rolling (applications are due on Feb. 4 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Endorse Hawaii Preparatory Academy. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards