Waimea Country School
Waimea Country School Photo #3 - Older and younger students build relationships -- here they are during a weekly reading buddy class
Waimea Country School Photo #4 - Our school garden -- Na Keiki Aloha Aina (for the children who love the land) -- is at the heart of our program
- Waimea Country School is a small, independent, elementary day school in Waimea on the island of Hawai'i, serving children and their families since 1996.
- We offer a child-centered curriculum embracing a theme-based learning program that incorporates literature, fine arts, mathematics, science, Hawaiian Studies, health and fitness, social studies, technology, and study skills. Our low student-teacher ratio ensures a personalized experience for every child and forges close bonds between students and teachers. Our graduates develop into eager, creative learners who are well-prepared for life's challenges -- academically, socially, and ethically.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
Hawaii Association of Independent Schools (HAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-6|
|Total Students||48 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(green shirts with logo M, T, W and when leaving campus)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 6 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$10,900|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition payment plans available|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$3,300|
|Admissions Director||Amy Salling, Head of School|
|Admissions Associate||Nanci Mahoney|
- Waimea Country School is a small, independent elementary day school located in Kamuela, Hawai`i, serving children ages 4 to 12 since 1996. Our school is dedicated to engaging each child`s own sense of learning and encourages children to take responsibility for their own work to promote a lifelong love of learning.
- We offer a child-centered curriculum embracing a multiage learning program that incorporates literature, fine arts, mathematics, science, Hawaiian Studies, health and fitness, social studies, technology and study skills. Integration of many subjects helps student learning gain vitality, depth and relevance.
- Our low student-teacher ratio ensures a personalized experience for every child and forges close bonds between students and teachers. This builds student confidence and encourages children to take risks with their learning, to challenge themselves, and to grow. Waimea Country School students learn to be in charge of their own learning to be thinkers, challengers, and wonderers.
- Our graduates develop into eager, creative learners who are well-prepared for life`s challenges academically, socially, and ethically.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Kamuela Grades: K-12 | 642 students
65-1692 Kohala Mountain Rd
Kamuela, HI 96743
(808)881-4321 1.9 K-12
- Kailua Kona Grades: K-12 | 135 students
74-4966 Kealakaa Street
Kailua Kona, HI 96740
(808)326-9866 31.5 K-12
- Kailua Kona Grades: PK-12 | 269 students
74-4907 Palani Road
Kailua Kona, HI 96740
(808)329-3093 33.4 PK-12
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.
Ever wish you could pick the brain of A+ students? Well, we did it for you — we spoke with dozens of students and educators to find out their secrets for success.