5.00 (1 review)
May Day is Lei Day in Hawai'i. Island School celebrates with an all-school event, followed by a lu'au lunch. These first graders will perform a hula with their class. The entire student body is involved in this special day.
Performing arts classes are part of the curriculum beginning in kindergarten. In this photo, middle school drama students perform, 'Agatha Rex,' a modern version of 'Antigone.'
Island School graduates are accepted at colleges and universities across the country and internationally.
Parents and friends support Island School while having a fantastic evening at the annual Gala Auction, The Disco Ball. Proceeds go directly into financial aid for qualifying families. Over 40% of our students receive financial aid.
Classes prepare student for higher education while helping them discover their talents and interests.
- Island School combines academic excellence with character building and experiences in the arts, athletics and academics.
- The curriculum is based on ideas of Howard Gardner, reflecting the development of "multiple intelligences." The campus has 38 acres and is safe and secluded. Island School seeks students who want to learn, have an independent spirit, get along with others, and enjoy new experiences.
- Diversity is valued, and a generous financial aid program ensures a broadly representative student population. Island School prepares students for college.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
Hawaii Association of Independent Schools (HAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||425 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 62%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||44 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|Number of AP Courses||8 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calulas A/B, AP Calulas B/C, AP Language & Composition, AP Literature, AP US History,|
|Average SAT score||1203|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Logo wear t-shirts and knee length shorts and or pants)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 15 / May. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,000|
|Tuition Notes||Other tuition is as follows: Pre- K = $10,200 and K-12 is $15,000|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Sean Magoun|
|Admissions Associate||Rochelle O'Day|
|Endowment Size||1 million|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Riflery, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Weightlifting, WrestlingBasketball, Cross Country,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chorus, FIrst Lego League Robotics, First Robotics, GIrls Volleyball, Middle School Basketball, Mock Trail, SCUBA Diving Club Chorus, First Robotics, Mock Trail, FIrst Lego League Robotics,
Middle School Basketball,
SCUBA Diving Club,
- A Center for Hawaiian Culture and the Arts focuses on building an understanding of and appreciation for Hawaiian culture
- Foreign languages include Chinese
- All classrooms have computer projectors with direct tie-in to the Internet
- The staff is talented and varied, having earned degrees from 38 different colleges and universities across the mainland and in Hawaii and all are well traveled
- The science curriculum includes robotics and an aquaponics pond and garden
- All seniors do independent projects on subjects of their choosing
- graduates of the class of 2009 received college acceptances from 83 different institutions of higher learning
When does your year start and end? Do you have any openings for school teachers?
- Posted by Parent - Clark
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?
July 11, 2017
Suggestions for the small school's IT infrastructure and services.