Lawrence Hall School
Tel: (773) 769-3511
Lawrence Hall is a not-for-profit child welfare agency established to assist at-risk youth and their families through a seamless delivery of services designed to develop the self-worth, knowledge, and skills they need to lead independent and productive lives.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers|
Alternative School Network
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades 4-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||56 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Golf, SwimmingBaseball, Basketball,|
- For more than 25 years Lawrence Hall Youth Services' fully-accredited Therapeutic Day School has partnered with public school systems to educate students with emotional challenges, behavioral disorders, and learning disabilities that inhibit success in the public school setting.
- The philosophy of Lawrence Hall's school is to help each student achieve their maximum potential by providing individualized programs to improve the academic, emotional, and social performance. Our students participate in academics while receiving specialized care through our unique therapeutic programs including arts education, culinary arts, service learning and recreation. We help them develop the skills and resources they need to return to the public school setting, enter the workforce, college or a vocational program.
- The school's specialized curriculum provides accredited year-round educational and vocational services from elementary through the high school level. Academic and social skills training occur in a small therapeutic environment with a student-teacher ratio of 5 to 1. The academic program at Lawrence Hall Youth Services is aligned with the Illinois Learning Standards and is modified to meet the needs of special education students. Upon graduation, students leave with a High School Diploma reflecting completion of the required classroom credit hours as well as their Service Learning obligation.
- The School uses the Classroom Community Model as a framework for student behavior. In a classroom community, student outcomes include more than learning reading, writing, and arithmetic. Students learn to accept individual and social responsibility, to be self-disciplined, to make difficult decisions, to practice non-violent conflict resolution, and to help others do the same.
- Lawrence Hall's school has an 85% attendance rate and a 95% graduation rate, compared to 59% for Chicago Public School students. Additionally, 1 in 10 students is able to return to the public school system. A strong academic program taught within a Classroom Community Model, with supportive services and electives that meet the individual needs of each student makes Lawrence Hall's Therapeutic Day school unique and successful with students who would have otherwise fallen through the cracks in the educational system.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Chicago Grades: 9-12 | 20 students
10211 S Crandon Ave
Chicago, IL 60617
(773) 582-8820 19.2 9-12
- Chicago Grades: 5-12
4925 N Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
(773) 784-3200 0.5 5-12
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.