GCE Lab School
- Through project-based learning and real-world connections, GCE helps students explore their passions, find their own voice, and apply their learning to the world around them.
- At GCE Lab School, we situate education within current events. Our thematic curriculum is engaging, relevant, and purposeful which helps students understand the "why" behind what they're learning. We believe that this meaningful learning prepares young people to participate as leaders and citizens in diverse communities.
GCE Lab School places among the top 20% of private schools in Illinois for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$250|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$29,150|
|Tuition Notes||To ensure the accessibility of the GCE experience to all and to encourage specifically socioeconomic diversity, we have adopted Flexible Tuition.Flexible Tuition in 2020-2021 will range, $4,550 – $29,150.We encourage all families to apply for Flexible Tuition by submitting an income and asset assessment. Families enrolled in the Flex Plan must re-submit financial information annually. Families who elect not to complete the assessment will be responsible for full tuition.|
|Admissions Director||Sarah Brock|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||15 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Art Club, Cereal, Citizenship, Drama, Events Planning, Louder Than A Bomb, Music Makers, Policy Board: Student Government, PRIDE, Street Team: Social Media, Student Ambassadors, Student Care, Sustainability, Video Games, Yearbook
- Our Mission: Using the city as a classroom, we embolden a community of socially responsible citizens to respond courageously to the world`s biggest challenges.
- At GCE, we don`t teach to the test. We teach to the world`s most pressing problems. Our students see purpose in their courses because their experience equips them to contribute to the achievement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. By the time our students graduate, they are agents of change capable of asking critical questions, working together, and leading effectively to develop creative solutions. The GCE student body uniquely represents the city of Chicago. Named one of the most diverse private high schools in Illinois, GCE attracts students from all over Chicago and grants merit- and need-based scholarships to ensure that our school serves as a microcosm of the city.
Profile last updated: