GCE Lab School
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (312) 643-0991
Through project-based learning and real-world connections, GCE helps students explore their passions, find their own voice, and apply their learning to the world around them.
At GCE Lab School, we situate education within current events. Our thematic curriculum is engaging, relevant, and purposeful which helps students understand the "why" behind what they're learning. We believe that this meaningful learning prepares young people to participate as leaders and citizens in diverse communities.
GCE Lab School places among the top 20% of private schools in Illinois for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||6 teachers|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 18 / Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$29,150|
|Tuition Notes||To ensure the accessibility of the GCE experience to all and to encourage specifically socioeconomic diversity, we have adopted Flexible Tuition.Flexible Tuition in 2020-2021 will range, $4,550 – $29,150.We encourage all families to apply for Flexible Tuition by submitting an income and asset assessment. Families enrolled in the Flexible Tuition Plan must re-submit financial information annually. Families who elect not to complete the assessment will be responsible for full tuition.|
|Admissions Director||Sarah Brock|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Anime Club, Cereal, Citizenship, Drama, Events Planning, Louder Than A Bomb, Movies Club, Music Makers, PRIDE, Skateboarding Club, Street Team: Social Media, Student Ambassadors, Student Care, Student Council, Sustainability, Video Games, Yearbook
- Our Mission: Using the city as a classroom, we embolden a community of socially responsible citizens to respond courageously to the world`s biggest challenges.
- At GCE, we don`t teach to the test. We teach to the world`s most pressing problems. Our students see purpose in their courses because their experience equips them to contribute to the achievement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. By the time our students graduate, they are agents of change capable of asking critical questions, working together, and leading effectively to develop creative solutions. The GCE student body uniquely represents the city of Chicago. Named one of the most diverse private high schools in Illinois, GCE attracts students from all over Chicago and grants merit- and need-based scholarships to ensure that our school serves as a microcosm of the city.
Profile last updated:
One great thing about GCE is the small class size. It's so easy to reach out and connect with my classmates and teachers. GCE teaches real issues, we learn about poverty and other global crises, so it's much easier to learn. I love GCE and would recommend it to other students.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - First-year student
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.
Solid parent-teacher relationships have always been an important part of K-12 education. During this interminable pandemic, parent-teacher relationships have become even more important.