Manzanita School & Institute
Situated in Topanga`s Santa Monica Mountains, Manzanita is an independent, college-preparatory, WASC-accredited school serving children in grades Forest Kinder through 12.
More than a school, Manzanita was founded in 2013 as a community of educators, students and parents dedicated to bringing positive change to the world through teaching the wisdom from the beginning of human history through to the innovations of our modern times.
Manzanita is a school for today inspired by timless ideas.
- School Type: School with Special Program Emphasis
- Grades: Kindergarten-12
- Students: 86 students
- Yearly Tuition: $32,000
- Average class size: 14 students
- Application Deadline: Dec. 21 / Jan. 21
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Average SAT score
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Dec. 21 / Jan. 21
Yearly Tuition Cost
Tuition rates start at $24K for Kindergarten. $26K 1-3rd grade. $32K 4-9th grade. $34K 10-12th grade. Tuition includes the meal program and the cost of the annual all-school camping trip.
% on Financial Aid
Total Sports Offered
- Manzanita's model is guided by mentorship and grounded by deep connection with nature to unlock the intrinsic gifts within our adolescents. At Manzanita, the symbiotic approach to learning is practiced. By offering a cross-disciplinary curriculum and blending academic subjects with spending considerable time in our "outdoor classroom" and the arts, our students gain lasting and resonant knowledge and capacities to become empowered, free-thinking adults.
- Every young person has something unique to offer the world that must be awakened in their adolescence; Manzanita is committed to guide each child meaningfully to discover and develop their personal gift.
- Manzanita's program is informed by the following SIX
- INTRINSIC GIFT: In a true mentoring relationship, based on connection and questioning, the unique genius within a young person is consistently awakiening and growing.
- MENTORING RELATIONSIHPS: Each connective moment between a mentor and a young person represenets a vital link between ancestors and future generations.
- SYMBIOTIC EDUCATION: Symbiotic Learning is a dynamic, instructional model that interweaves the connections of our science and humanities curriculum.
- COLLECTIVE RESPONSIBILITY: When the gift in a young person awakens, she considers the whole and applies herself passionately in service to other and the world.
- INTERPERSONAL COMPETENCE: The full expression of one's gift requiqres interpersonal competence in interacting with others.
- RIGOROUS EFFORT: When one's gift is leveraged with regor, it will grow in purpose and capacity to effect positive growth.
- The Guiding Principles are actively supported by our commitment to engage students to purposefully connect with Nature as well as to emphasize the importance of teaching Social Emotional Learning. Both are vital to creating a healthy and safe learning environment.
- Healthy farm-to-table and locally-sourced snack and lunch program.
- EXPEDITIONARY PROGRAM - Multi-day camping and back-packing trips to locations of natural and cultural interest relevant to classroom curriculum
- Our graduates have a 100% college aceeptance rate, most receiving robust scholarships.
Profile last updated: 08/17/2021
Endorse Manzanita School & Institute. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards