- Matheny Medical and Educational Center is a teaching hospital and a premier facility for people of all ages with developmental disabilities.
- Matheny specializes in the care of children and adults with cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida and Lesch-Nyhan Disease.
- For children and young adults seeking residential or day programs, there is a team of caring professionals who understand the frustration and emotional and social trauma experienced by each new student.
- New students find other young people like themselves and buildings that are totally accessible.
- Every class is open to them, including art and music.
- Their self-esteem soars. They begin to experience opportunities, rather than limitations.
- For many, this is a major turning point in their lives.
- Young adults at Matheny are encouraged to continue their education and strive for community living.
- Five homes exist in nearby towns for the adults. Community living that accommodates all of the physical needs provides an opportunity for the person with disabilities to plan his or her life.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers
Other special emphasis association(s)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||60 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1