4.50 (2 reviews)
- Millwood School is a thriving college preparatory, independent, co-ed day school for students in junior kindergarten through 12th Grade.
- Our focus is educational excellence in a warm and nurturing environment.
- We are known for small classes and individual attention, a challenging and diverse curriculum, exceptional faculty, and a value structure that promotes honesty, integrity, and respect for others.
- Millwood School produces accomplished, well rounded, and resourceful graduates, who measure up to their potential, lead principled lives, and strive to make the world a better place.
- The mission of our school is dedicated to the growth of each student in a supportive environment that challenges the intellect, develops the body, and fosters moral values.
- Millwood believes that each child is unique and that no two children learn in exactly the same way.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||135 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||33 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||8 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP English AP Calculus I AP US Government AP US History APPhysics APEnvironmental Science|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Uniforms everyday, Millwood School Polo and khaki pants, shorts, skirts, skorts with a Millwood polo in navy, white or gold.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,500|
|Tuition Notes||Financial aid is available to those who qualify and is need based.|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Janice C. Jennings|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Swimming, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Soccer,
Swimming, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chorus, Rock Band, Spirit Club
- Average class size is 12
- 9 different languages are spoken by our faculty and staff
- All middle school students are eligible to play sports - no selection process
- Past graduates of Millwood School have attended Yale, Notre Dame, Carnegie Mellon, William and Mary, and Duke as well as a long list of other universities in both the US & abroad.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Richmond Grades: K-8 | 72 students
2110 Mcrae Road
Richmond, VA 23235
(804)320-3465 10.8 K-8
Moved my kids here from a great public elementary school. Millwood exceeded our expectations. No SOLs or teaching to the test. The school seems focused on critical thinking, character development and showing children how to be a friend to all. This school is a gem-- a gift we have given our family.
- Posted by Parent - Happy Mom
My gifted student was struggling in a "great" public school in the gifted education program. The problem was the class was too overcrowded, the teachers overworked, and they could only teach to the middle. Switching her to Millwood is the greatest thing we have ever done. They recognize and appreciate her gifts and support her struggles. She has excelled in ways that were never possible in public school. They really teach to each child as an individual and help each achieve their best. The teachers are patient but challenging and really work as a team with the student and parents. The Head of School has amazing vision and challenges her staff to do better each year. Millwood is everything you would hope for your child's education in school and in life.
- Posted by Parent - swolv
We have spent tens of billions on educational technology since the 1990s. Has all this spending improved educational outcomes?
Use this five-point checklist to keep your search for private schools organized.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.