The Steward School
- Founded in 1972, The Steward School serves boys and girls in Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12
- Our mission is prepare students for college and for life in a community defined by robust academics, inspiration, engagement, and care 600 students
- Target class size of 17 Student to faculty ratio of 8:1
- 25% diversity with 10 countries represented 37 acre campus with six academic buildings, two gyms, eight tennis courts, and four athletic fields
- One of only six schools in the United States with an innovation lab
- Interscholastic Athletics: Grades 6-12, 37 Teams in 12 Sports
- $1.5 million given in financial aid each year
- Steward offers a college-preparatory curriculum, small classes, individual attention, extracurricular opportunities, and an in-school tutoring program to support students' acheivement of their educational goals
- Students in all divisions are involved in athletics, fine arts, community service, outdoor trips, and interest clubs
- Extended care, English as a Second Language, summer sessions, interdisciplinary projects, and innovative minimesters with internships and travel abroad opportunities are offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||86 teachers|
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Tuition Notes||Junior Kindergarten (half-day): $10,140 Junior Kindergarten (full-day): $14,880 Grades K-5: $21,060 Grades 6-8: $22,540 Grades 9-12: $23,740 $1.5 million given in financial aid each year|
|Admissions Director||Robin Oliff|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Cheering, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Golf,
Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse,
Tennis, Track and Field,
- At The Steward School, we recognize that choosing a school is not only about finding the right fit for your child today; it`s also about preparation for the student`s future. We must prepare students with the skills and experiences they will need to succeed in college and in life, in a world that`s rapidly changing. Therefore, educational programs should be designed accordingly.
- The right school for your student recognizes that there`s not only one possible path to success. Instead it should teach collaboration, critical thinking, problem solving, resourcefulness, resilience, and big-picture thinking, which will carry students` on their future paths and nurture their leadership potential.
- That`s our philosophy at Steward. Our intentionally sized school is large enough to provide the resources for students to explore their interests and curiosities across academics, athletics, and the arts concurrently, and small enough to give them the personalized attention they need to pursue those interests.
- Across the country, statistics show that student engagement plummets from 80% in elementary school to just 40% by the beginning of high school (Gallup Student Poll). However, The Steward School is defying that trend. Engagement is a core part of our mission, which is to prepare our students for college and for life in a community defined by robust academics, inspiration, engagement, and care.
- At Steward, academics from JK 12 are rigorous and children gain knowledge. But students are not simply memorizing facts, because in the 21st century facts are as easy to come by as a Google search. What`s important is how students are able to apply their knowledge, to innovate with it.
- Therefore, our students experience hands-on learning paired with traditional, rigorous academic study, as well as blended classrooms that utilize the latest technology. This education does not only take place in academic classrooms, but also on the athletic fields, in art and music studios and in theatres, and in the Bryan Innovation Lab, a building and gardens specifically designed as a 21st-century, problem-solving, experiential-learning environment.
- Our students benefit from a community that celebrates the achievements of every student and recognizes that those achievements, though unique to each person, better the community as a whole. This environment helps shape today`s students into the adults our world will need in the future.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
RichmondGrades: 8-12 | 500 students
3850 Pittaway Dr
Richmond, VA 23235
RichmondGrades: PK-8 | 199 students
3400 Stony Point Rd
Richmond, VA 23235
HenricoGrades: K-12 | 1610 students
103 N Mooreland Road
Henrico, VA 23229
RichmondGrades: NS-12 | 1005 students
711 Saint Christophers Road
Richmond, VA 23226
RichmondGrades: PK-12 | 329 students
3400 Brook Road
Richmond, VA 23227
We are the parents of two boys attending the Steward School- an 8th grader and a 12th grader, and we have been part of the Steward community for 3 years. Moving my son from a large public high school following his freshman year was the best move that we could have made. The public middle and high school that my sons previously attended have large classes. The teachers do not have the time to get to know your child, respond to student questions, or stay in contact with you. Everything revolves around "teaching to the test" and survival of the fittest. Steward provides the opposite experience - teachers know your child and their friends, they pin-point issues quickly and address them and they are invested in the students as individuals. Like other reviewers, we never thought we would send our kids to private school. We both went to public schools and our families are filled with public school teachers. We have learned that every child thrives in the right environment. The only regret my husband and I have is that we did not send our children to Steward earlier.
- Posted by Parent - Parent of Boys
The BEST school ever!!!!! We could not be happier to be a member of the Steward School community. The teacher and staff are caring, innovative, team oriented and just plain fabulous. We are what is called "First Choicers". While our son was accepted at every school we applied to, Steward was our first choice--hands down. We were drawn to Steward's mission and the small classes. Now, we are in love with the academics, theater & arts programs, the Bryan Innovation Lab, character development, athletics and well, everything! While were are still in the Lower School, I have had several opportunities to get to know the College Counselor, Heather Jeter, and she is a true gem. She walks the students and families through the process seamlessly and students find the right fit college for themselves. I could go on forever. You won't find a better place for your child(ren) to learn, thrive and find their true passion.
- Posted by Parent - Clay
This is our first year at Steward`s Upper School. My husband and I were looking for a school that was a great fit for our children in terms of academics and extra-curricular activities and we found this all at the Steward school. Steward offers an inclusive, warm and holistic learning environment for the students. Steward is smaller compared to the other schools in its category, but we looked at it as a great benefit for our kids. Smaller class sizes with amazing teachers and a great curriculum is what we were looking for. The Bryan Innovation lab offers STEM education in Robotics and the Performing Arts program has produced plays that are very professional. The Visual Arts and Music programs are also excellent. The school invites inspirational speakers on a regular basis. The school campus is beautiful and the facilities are top notch. For the parents, there are many social events and volunteer activities where parents can socialize with other parents as well as volunteer for the school. You will find the admissions process very thorough. The admissions team is extremely helpful and they want the best for your child as well. My kids were so impressed with their visit day that it made the decision making process so much easier.
- Posted by Parent - Proud Steward Parent
This is our seventh year at The Steward School and we have three children currently enrolled in the Lower and Middle Schools. Each year we are amazed by the academic rigor, the opportunities for innovative learning, and exposure to the performing and visual arts. As in many families, our children have various interests and different learning styles. The Steward School is able to inspire and challenge each of our children in a way that showcases their unique talents. The amazing faculty and staff at Steward have the opportunity to KNOW each child and give them personalized attention in order to foster their individuality. Our sons and our daughter participate and thrive in Steward athletics, but that does not limit their ability to explore science through the Bryan Innovation Lab, participate in theatre and visual arts and contribute to community outreach initiatives all available to them through Steward's curriculum. We cannot wait to see what Upper School has to offer our oldest son next year!The Steward School really has it all and we feel blessed to be part of such a caring school community.
- Posted by Parent - Proud Steward Parent
Our son started at The Steward School last year (6th grade) and it has completely changed his life. He had a wonderful experience at Tuckahoe Elementary but our experience at The Steward School has changed his academic outlook and trajectory. Every teacher and administrator is fully committed to make sure that each student is comfortable, thriving and engaged. He has been challenged academically and pushed to learn new things in new and different ways. He is as comfortable and confident as ever both personally and academically. We honestly believe that our son will be more prepared for life, more interested, thoughtful and aware of all that life has to offer because of The Steward School. Our only regret is that we didn't get him exposed the The Steward experience earlier in life.
- Posted by Parent - danlu
My husband and I never thought we would send our kids to private school. We were both raised in public schools, now living in Henrico County . . . but the large classroom environment, the rigid (and sometimes illogical) curriculum, and the inability of even the best teachers to fully meet our daughter's needs in our public schools led us to Steward. Our daughter (and then, later, our son) has thrived at Steward due to its small class sizes, its focus on meeting each child exactly where they are, and its appreciation of them for exactly who they are. Most importantly, we value Steward's focus on high standards of character, in addition to excellence in academics. Our children could become "educated" at any number of schools; but at Steward, our personal values of integrity, compassion and care for others are reinforced every day. We are so grateful to have found this community.
- Posted by Parent - dumee
We have had the honor to be a part of the Steward School community for 6 years now. We have three children at the school. All three of our children excel at Steward for different reasons. Each of them are met with academic challenges that stimulate them in their strong subjects and nurture growth in their weaker areas. All three participate in athletics at school and are learning valuable life lessons as a part of a team and on the athletic fields/courts. The faculty and staff are excellent and the school's leadership is amazingly strong. We are very involved at school and have had the opportunity to be a part of all areas of campus and school life. We feel so fortunate to offer this experience to our children and make connections within this wonderful community. We highly recommend The Steward School.
- Posted by Parent - amycl
I have two boys at the Steward School. One is about to enter high school and the other will graduate this year. The "loving push", as I call it, that the faculty, administrators, and coaches have given them has taken my children beyond my expectations and their own. The teachers and facilities are second-to-none, and there are challenges and opportunities to meet the students where they are and take them where they never thought they could go. The culture of integrity, kindness and respect is ever-present along the way.
- Posted by Parent - wendy
My children have had a fantastic year at The Steward School. The smaller class size allows for personal interaction with the teachers and peers, and plenty of sports opportunities and playing time. We love it!
- Posted by Parent - dk.ca
Truly, The Steward School is a mission-driven community of students, parents, faculty and staff completely committed to helping all students explore their passions and prepare for life! My daughter's success here is a beautiful example that started in Kindergarten and continues into 9th grade next year. Not only has she been nurtured along the way, but challenged academically in the classroom, on the soccer and lacrosse playing fields and in the Bryan Innovation Lab where innovation rules! This year, she won a national science award, but it was the faculty of Steward that supported her in this effort. She will be a "lifer!" (attended K-12)
- Posted by Parent - prsou
I am so glad that I have enrolled my daughter at The Steward School! The facilities are beyond comparison, the staff and faculty are amazing, and the programs they offer are wonderful! My daughter loves coming to school each day and is learning content in so many different and innovative ways. Our family is so happy to be part of the Steward community!
- Posted by Parent - krist