The Steward School
- Founded in 1972, The Steward School serves boys and girls in Junior Kindergarten through Grade 12
- Our mission is prepare students for college and for life in a community defined by robust academics, inspiration, engagement, and care
- 670 students; Average class size: 13; Max class size of 15-17; Student to faculty ratio of 8:1; 29% diversity with 6 countries represented
- 37-acre campus with six academic buildings, an arts-specific building, two gyms, eight tennis courts, and four athletic fields
- Interscholastic Athletics: Grades 6-12, 43 Teams in 12 Sports Steward offers Variable Tuition, which customizes tuition based on each family's individual financial situation, for students in JK-12, as well as merit-based grants for Upper School students. We believe a diversity of talents, abilities, and cultures among our student body provides a rich and well-rounded educational experience, and our merit grants and Variable Tuition program support this goal.
- Steward offers a college-preparatory curriculum, small classes, individual attention, extracurricular opportunities, and an in-school tutoring program to support students' acheivement of their educational goals
- Students in all divisions are involved in athletics, fine arts, community service, outdoor trips, and interest clubs
- Extended care, English as a Second Language, summer sessions, interdisciplinary projects, and innovative minimesters with internships and travel abroad opportunities are offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||670 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||94 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||15 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art: Drawing, AP United States Government, AP United States History, AP World History|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Junior Kindergarten (half-day): $11,170 Junior Kindergarten (full-day): $16,380 Grades K-5: $23,180 Grades 6-8: $24,830 Grades 9-12: $26,200 More than $2 million provided each year in Variable Tuition benefits to families.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,890|
|Admissions Director||Rebecca Hoffmann|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Golf,
Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse,
Tennis, Track and Field,
- At The Steward School, we recognize that choosing a school is not only about finding the right fit for your child today; it`s also about preparation for the student`s future. We must prepare students with the skills and experiences they will need to succeed in college and in life, in a world that`s rapidly changing. Therefore, educational programs should be designed accordingly.
- The right school for your student recognizes that there`s not only one possible path to success. Instead it should teach collaboration, critical thinking, problem solving, resourcefulness, resilience, and big-picture thinking, which will carry students` on their future paths and nurture their leadership potential.
- That`s our philosophy at Steward. Our intentionally sized school is large enough to provide the resources for students to explore their interests and curiosities across academics, athletics, and the arts concurrently, and small enough to give them the personalized attention they need to pursue those interests.
- Across the country, statistics show that student engagement plummets from 80% in elementary school to just 40% by the beginning of high school (Gallup Student Poll). However, The Steward School is defying that trend. Engagement is a core part of our mission, which is to prepare our students for college and for life in a community defined by robust academics, inspiration, engagement, and care.
- At Steward, academics from JK through 12 are rigorous and children gain knowledge. But students are not simply memorizing facts, because in the 21st century facts are as easy to come by as a Google search. What`s important is how students are able to apply their knowledge, to innovate with it.
- Therefore, our students experience hands-on learning paired with traditional, rigorous academic study, as well as blended classrooms that utilize the latest technology. This education does not only take place in academic classrooms, but also on the athletic fields, in art and music studios and in theatres, and in the Bryan Innovation Lab, a building and gardens specifically designed as a 21st-century, problem-solving, experiential-learning environment.
- Our students benefit from a community that celebrates the achievements of every student and recognizes that those achievements, though unique to each person, better the community as a whole. This environment helps shape today`s students into the adults our world will need in the future.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Richmond Grades: 8-12 | 508 students
3850 Pittaway Dr
Richmond, VA 23235
(804)272-5864 4.5 8-12
- Richmond Grades: PK-8 | 207 students
3400 Stony Point Rd
Richmond, VA 23235
(804)272-1341 5.7 PK-8
We have been at Steward since Kindergarten and my daughter will be a "lifer" graduate in 2019. I have watched her grow into a confident young woman, who attributes her success to the education and nurturing she has received at The Steward School. She enjoys competitive girls soccer, several clubs and has been given the opportunity to start her own club, participates in regional events like Model UN, is supported in internship opportunities that require her to occasionally miss class time, and has established life-long friendships. The Steward family is one that supports one another and celebrates a sense of community that is unique to any other school environment. Our family is so honored to be part of the Steward family!
- Posted by Parent - Grateful Parent
This is our 9th year at Steward and we could not be happier. Over those 9 years, we have watched Steward grow in so many areas. As teachers have retired, new, even more amazing ones have taken their place. As administrators follow different paths, we have been grateful for their experience and have been awed by the new ones joining the Steward family. We have had the opportunity to become close with so many on the Steward campus and everyone, from the Development office, to Admissions, to Marketing, to Community Advancement, to coaches, to advisors, to support staff as well as teachers strive daily to make each day our kids spend at school a challenging, nurturing, learning, fun, inclusive, and stimulating environment. Truly I say, Steward employs and enrolls only the best of the best. The student body is diverse in ethnicity, religion, academic strengths, athletic skill, fine arts talent and leadership styles. Almost any club, activity, class or challenge your child wants to take on is available at Steward. Steward really does live out its mission and daily strives to embody it's tag line, "fuel the mind, stir the imagination and unleash the possibilities".
- Posted by Parent - Grateful Steward mom
Steward is a phenomenal school and above all a great community! Teachers, administrators, head of school, and faculty are very approachable and work together to make sure that every child's needs are attended to. Everyone knows your child's name. In addition, the diversity of the school plays a great factor in the character development of the students. Also, the well-rounded curriculum fuels each child's unique potential allowing them to nurture and excel their fields of interest. Therefore, making learning a fun enjoyable process they are more likely to retain from. No school system is perfect but Steward is as perfect as they come!
- Posted by Parent - Steward Mom
I wish we knew about Steward earlier! My children are in their sophomores at Steward School and they are excited about going to school every day. They have been able to take on honors and AP classes as well as extracurriculars-both academic and sports-with full zest and enthusiasm. This is clearly because they enjoy school and have the support of their teachers and administration. The Steward community is diverse and inclusive. The school offers a strong academic curriculum along with many sports teams and performance arts. We are Spartans for life!
- Posted by Parent - Parent of two Upper School children
The Steward School is truly our second home. We have been a part of the Steward Community for 10 plus years and have a current 9th grader and 4th grader at the school. Steward has been such a gift to us and to our children. The school has a unique perspective on each child and truly meets the child at his/her level and strengths. It has been such a joy to see our children grow and engage at their own pace. We have witnessed first hand how a school can grow by leaps and bounds in terms of facilities, resources, and outstanding faculty while maintaining a small school feel and a nurturing environment.
- Posted by Parent - Kristie
This is our 10th year at Steward. We have two children who have attended since kindergarten. We continue to be impressed with the academics, facilities, athletics, and amazing resources and experiences offered by the Steward School. We have seen it grow significantly over the last 10 years and still maintain its "small school" approach to meet each and every students needs. A true gem!
- Posted by Parent - Steward Parent
We are the parents of two boys attending the Steward School- an 8th grader and a 12th grader, and we have been part of the Steward community for 3 years. Moving my son from a large public high school following his freshman year was the best move that we could have made. The public middle and high school that my sons previously attended have large classes. The teachers do not have the time to get to know your child, respond to student questions, or stay in contact with you. Everything revolves around "teaching to the test" and survival of the fittest. Steward provides the opposite experience - teachers know your child and their friends, they pin-point issues quickly and address them and they are invested in the students as individuals. Like other reviewers, we never thought we would send our kids to private school. We both went to public schools and our families are filled with public school teachers. We have learned that every child thrives in the right environment. The only regret my husband and I have is that we did not send our children to Steward earlier.
- Posted by Parent - Parent of Boys
The BEST school ever!!!!! We could not be happier to be a member of the Steward School community. The teacher and staff are caring, innovative, team oriented and just plain fabulous. We are what is called "First Choicers". While our son was accepted at every school we applied to, Steward was our first choice--hands down. We were drawn to Steward's mission and the small classes. Now, we are in love with the academics, theater & arts programs, the Bryan Innovation Lab, character development, athletics and well, everything! While were are still in the Lower School, I have had several opportunities to get to know the College Counselor, Heather Jeter, and she is a true gem. She walks the students and families through the process seamlessly and students find the right fit college for themselves. I could go on forever. You won't find a better place for your child(ren) to learn, thrive and find their true passion.
- Posted by Parent - Clay
This is our first year at Steward`s Upper School. My husband and I were looking for a school that was a great fit for our children in terms of academics and extra-curricular activities and we found this all at the Steward school. Steward offers an inclusive, warm and holistic learning environment for the students. Steward is smaller compared to the other schools in its category, but we looked at it as a great benefit for our kids. Smaller class sizes with amazing teachers and a great curriculum is what we were looking for. The Bryan Innovation lab offers STEM education in Robotics and the Performing Arts program has produced plays that are very professional. The Visual Arts and Music programs are also excellent. The school invites inspirational speakers on a regular basis. The school campus is beautiful and the facilities are top notch. For the parents, there are many social events and volunteer activities where parents can socialize with other parents as well as volunteer for the school. You will find the admissions process very thorough. The admissions team is extremely helpful and they want the best for your child as well. My kids were so impressed with their visit day that it made the decision making process so much easier.
- Posted by Parent - Proud Steward Parent
Our son started at The Steward School last year (6th grade) and it has completely changed his life. He had a wonderful experience at Tuckahoe Elementary but our experience at The Steward School has changed his academic outlook and trajectory. Every teacher and administrator is fully committed to make sure that each student is comfortable, thriving and engaged. He has been challenged academically and pushed to learn new things in new and different ways. He is as comfortable and confident as ever both personally and academically. We honestly believe that our son will be more prepared for life, more interested, thoughtful and aware of all that life has to offer because of The Steward School. Our only regret is that we didn't get him exposed the The Steward experience earlier in life.
- Posted by Parent - danlu
My husband and I never thought we would send our kids to private school. We were both raised in public schools, now living in Henrico County . . . but the large classroom environment, the rigid (and sometimes illogical) curriculum, and the inability of even the best teachers to fully meet our daughter's needs in our public schools led us to Steward. Our daughter (and then, later, our son) has thrived at Steward due to its small class sizes, its focus on meeting each child exactly where they are, and its appreciation of them for exactly who they are. Most importantly, we value Steward's focus on high standards of character, in addition to excellence in academics. Our children could become "educated" at any number of schools; but at Steward, our personal values of integrity, compassion and care for others are reinforced every day. We are so grateful to have found this community.
- Posted by Parent - dumee
We have had the honor to be a part of the Steward School community for 6 years now. We have three children at the school. All three of our children excel at Steward for different reasons. Each of them are met with academic challenges that stimulate them in their strong subjects and nurture growth in their weaker areas. All three participate in athletics at school and are learning valuable life lessons as a part of a team and on the athletic fields/courts. The faculty and staff are excellent and the school's leadership is amazingly strong. We are very involved at school and have had the opportunity to be a part of all areas of campus and school life. We feel so fortunate to offer this experience to our children and make connections within this wonderful community. We highly recommend The Steward School.
- Posted by Parent - amycl
I have two boys at the Steward School. One is about to enter high school and the other will graduate this year. The "loving push", as I call it, that the faculty, administrators, and coaches have given them has taken my children beyond my expectations and their own. The teachers and facilities are second-to-none, and there are challenges and opportunities to meet the students where they are and take them where they never thought they could go. The culture of integrity, kindness and respect is ever-present along the way.
- Posted by Parent - wendy
My children have had a fantastic year at The Steward School. The smaller class size allows for personal interaction with the teachers and peers, and plenty of sports opportunities and playing time. We love it!
- Posted by Parent - dk.ca
Truly, The Steward School is a mission-driven community of students, parents, faculty and staff completely committed to helping all students explore their passions and prepare for life! My daughter's success here is a beautiful example that started in Kindergarten and continues into 9th grade next year. Not only has she been nurtured along the way, but challenged academically in the classroom, on the soccer and lacrosse playing fields and in the Bryan Innovation Lab where innovation rules! This year, she won a national science award, but it was the faculty of Steward that supported her in this effort. She will be a "lifer!" (attended K-12)
- Posted by Parent - prsou
I am so glad that I have enrolled my daughter at The Steward School! The facilities are beyond comparison, the staff and faculty are amazing, and the programs they offer are wonderful! My daughter loves coming to school each day and is learning content in so many different and innovative ways. Our family is so happy to be part of the Steward community!
- Posted by Parent - krist