Mount Carmel Academy
- Mount Carmel Academy is a private, all-girls Catholic high school for grades 8-12 in the Archdiocese of New Orleans.
- It is conducted by the Sisters of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, who have educated young ladies in New Orleans since 1833.
- The atmosphere of the school and the individual attention given to each student encourage and foster emotional maturity and spiritual development.
Mount Carmel Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Louisiana for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 1993, 1998|
|Total Students||1250 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||142 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||10 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Biology AP, Calculus AP, English Language and Composition AP, English Literature and Composition AP, European Literature AP, Latin AP, Psychology AP, Spanish Language and Culture AP, US Government & Politics AP, US History AP|
|Average ACT score||27|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 16|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$9,400|
|Admissions Director||Jeanne Rachuba|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Gymnastics, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Bowling,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||52 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Academic Games, Ambassador Team, Book Club, Campus Ministry, Carmelettes, Cheerleading, Chess Club, Christian Life Community, Cubettes, Echoes, Eco Cubs, Enigma, Entrepreneurship Club, Fishing Club, French National Honor Society, Key Club, Latin National Honor Society, Life Skills Club, Literary Online, Mount Carmel Cubs Against Destructive Decisions (McCADD), Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society), Multicultural Club, National Honor Society, P.A.W.S., Quiz Bowl, Rhythm, Robotics Club, Sardonyx, Science Fiction Fantasy Club, Science Olympiad, Service Club - 8th Grade, Social Media Club, Spanish National Honor Society, Speech and Debate Team, Spirit Club, Student Government, TEAMS (Tests of Engineering Aptitude, Mathematics, and Science), Teens for Life
Arts and Music Programs:
Bellas, Celebration, Chorale, Encore, Instrumental Music Program -, National Art Honor Society, National Junior Art Honor Society, Theatre Club - STK, Tri-M Music Honor Society, WMCA
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Bowling Team, Fitness Club, Intramural Sports Program, Sailing Team
- A primary goal of Mount Carmel Academy is to foster the spiritual development of each student. The tradition of Carmel is one of the oldest traditions of the Catholic Church.
- Mount Carmel Academy inspires and fosters intellectual development through a challenging, traditional, 21st-century college preparatory curriculum infused with technology. Critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, and communication are part of every course.
- Mount Carmel Academy has a complete guidance program with eight full-time counselors, a college scholarship coordinator, and a guidance secretary available to assist students in each grade level with issues related to academics, the college application process, the maturation process, and spirituality.
- Integration of technology across the curriculum seamlessly enhances instruction and provides feedback for improved learning. The latest Web 2.0 tools promote promotes critical-thinking, collaborative problem-solving, and decision-making skills as students and teachers create, share, critique, and collaborate with one another from remote locations.
- The Phyllis M. Taylor Maker Lab, equipped with 16 MakerBot Replicator 3D printers and an engraver/laser cutter, is a creative, hands-on space where students from all academic mediums are encouraged to collaborate, innovate, and create. From art to math to science, ideas come to life and learning is enhanced by the 21st century tools available in our Maker Lab. The goal of this STREAM lab is to foster creativity, critical thinking skills, project-based learning, and problem solving so that regardless of the tools or technology, our learners will have the conceptual skills to be successful in their work.
- 96% of our graduates received merit-based scholarships and/or grants (including TOPS)
- The more than 50 clubs and activities offered enhance the Catholic formation, spirituality, and education of the classroom experience by providing opportunities on academic, religious, civic, and interscholastic levels.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Metairie Grades: 8-12 | 600 students
8800 Veterans Memorial Blvd
Metairie, LA 70003
(504)467-3105 5.9 8-12
- New Orleans Grades: NS-12 | 653 students
2343 Prytania Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
(504)561-1224 6.2 NS-12
- New Orleans Grades: 8-12 | 856 students
7701 Walmsley Ave
New Orleans, LA 70125
(504)865-9401 4.3 8-12
- New Orleans Grades: NS-12 | 756 students
4521 Saint Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70115
(504)891-1943 6.3 NS-12
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
This article aggregates all the articles I have written about running a small private school. Use it as a handbook and a reminder of things you should look at from time to time.
Ever wish you could pick the brain of A+ students? Well, we did it for you — we spoke with dozens of students and educators to find out their secrets for success.