North Branch School
North Branch School Photo #2 - Preschool students explore math and reading readiness and a variety of topics through stories, hands-on activities, art and games.
Our primary goal is to lead children to a love of learning.
North Branch School fosters respect, non-violence, environmental responsibility, and the involvement of students, teachers and families in our community.
We value the uniqueness of each child. Our curriculum promotes the desire to learn and to develop abilities to the fullest.
We are dedicated to providing a diverse environment that stimulates curiosity, creativity, and cooperation.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Enrollment: 119 students
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 30%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Preschool - $3,015 for 2 mornings a week, $5,265 for 4 mornings a week; Kindergarten and Elementary - $9,009 for 4 full days (no Wednesdays), Upper Elementary - $11,673 for 5 full days; Middle School - $11,673 for 5 full days
% on Financial Aid
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Food Pantry (Middle School), Model UN (Middle School), Yearbook (Middle School)
- North Branch is rooted in a love of learning. We are an independent, not-for-profit school for children ages 3 14 (pre-school through 8th grade) in Afton, Virginia (Nelson County). We offer academic challenge in a nurturing environment, stretching our students without stressing them and/or their families. We emphasize hands-on learning and cooperation, while giving our students a solid foundation in academics, the arts, and life skills.
- Our 11-acre campus in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains includes three classroom buildings, a large outdoor playground, a Nature Trail maintained by teachers and students, and fields and woods for students to enjoy.
- NBS currently enrolls 110 students and has a faculty and staff of 19. Students and teachers come from Augusta, Albemarle, and Nelson Counties. The faculty has very low turnover, as approximately half of the teachers and staff have worked at NBS for ten years or more, and about another quarter have worked here 5 years or more. The most recent new teachers are also NBS alumni.
- NBS is committed to keeping its tuition reasonable for all families. We offer tuition assistance in the form of tuition credit work, in which families help clean and maintain the school, organize fundraisers, and contribute in other ways that help keep our costs as low as possible.
- Everyone is honored at North Branch School!
- email@example.com 221 Mickens Road Afton Virginia 22920 phone (540) 456-8450
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
What schools are North Branch School often compared to?
North Branch Schoolis often viewed alongside schools like Afton Christian School by visitors of our site.
When is the application deadline for North Branch School?
The application deadline for North Branch School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
View the North Branch School yearly calendar below.
Endorse North Branch School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
Enrichment Resources For Children Ages 10-14
I asked ChatGPT to list apps, YouTube Channels, and podcasts suitable for enriching the studies of students ages 10-14. (We'll look at resources for younger and older students in another article.)
February 13, 2023Designing Assignments In The ChatGPT Era
AI (Artificial Intelligence), specifically ChatGPT, poses some serious challenges for teachers. We explore the importance of teaching students how to attribute the work and ideas of others.