Ocean State Montessori School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (401) 434-6913
The Ocean State Montessori School offers Montessori programs for children in preschool (including our Wee Threes) through sixth grade.
Founded in 1973, it is the oldest Montessori school in Rhode Island. Our Mission Statement: The Ocean State Montessori School fosters independence, self-esteem, and a life-long love of learning by providing an academically excellent and nurturing Montessori environment for children in preschool through sixth grade.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
Other Montessori association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Total Students||122 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$13,250|
|Tuition Notes||2021-2022 Tuition: Wee Threes: $9750, Primary 1 & 2: $8750, Primary 3 (kindergarten): $13,250, Elementary: $14,000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,000|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Service Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Singing & Acting Class
- The Ocean State Montessori School is the oldest Montessori school in Rhode Island. It was founded in 1973 by a group of parents interested in the Montessori Method. They secured a grant to purchase Montessori materials and hired a teacher and two assistants to teach 30 students in a church in Barrington. Over the years the school has expanded, adding additional Montessori classrooms and programs.
- The Ocean State Montessori School currently provides Montessori programs for children ages 3 through 12 (preschool through sixth grade). The Ocean State Montessori School is licensed by the Rhode Island Department of Education and the Rhode Island Department of Children, Youth and Families. We are an affiliate member of the American Montessori Society (AMS). Our teachers all hold bachelor`s or master`s degrees and have received, or are in the process of earning, their AMS teaching credential.
- Ocean State Montessori School is committed to serving the needs of all children and families supporting and celebrating diversity in the community we serve. Our classrooms provide this "prepared environment" in which children are free to explore and learn at their own pace. Each classroom has a full component of Montessori materials. The teacher acts as a guide to the classroom, recognizing periods of readiness, introducing new materials and demonstrating how to use them.
- Our Programs:
- Wee Threes Program (for children who turn 3 between September 1 and December 31) Our Wee Threes program addresses the unique needs of the younger three year old child and provides a wonderful introduction to a Montessori education.
- Primary Program (ages 3 - 6, preschool - kindergarten) The 3-year Primary program creates an atmosphere conducive to the young child's natural inclination to learn and explore.
- Lower Elementary (grades 1 - 3) Our integrated curriculum supports the Elementary student's understanding of abstract ideas and the development of their social and moral selves.
- Upper Elementary (grades 4 - 6) The Upper Elementary classroom gives students the opportunity to take on larger issues and greater responsibilities for academic advancement.
- At every level, our curriculum also includes art, music, language, and physical education.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Barrington Grades: PK-8 | 179 students
10 Waldron Ave.
Barrington, RI 02806
(401) 246-0990 5 PK-8
Our 2 children have been part of the OSMS learning community for the past 13yrs. Each and every year we are happy and excited for our children to continue their love of learning with the OSMS faculty and staff. We have a choice of where to send our kids, we choose the Ocean State Montessori School.
- Posted by Parent - Scott
Over the least 7 years, we've watched as our son grow creatively, socially and academically in the nurturing OSMS community. The faculty and staff are caring, intelligent individuals that support, challenge and grow the kids in every way. I'm looking forward to what the next three-year cycle will bring in Upper Elementary.In short, we love it!
- Posted by Parent - cheryl e
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.