Ocean State Montessori School
- The Ocean State Montessori School offers Montessori programs for children in preschool (including our Wee Threes) through sixth grade, as well as after-school programs and vacation and summer camps.
- Founded in 1973, it is the oldest Montessori school in Rhode Island.
- Our Mission Statement: The Ocean State Montessori School fosters independence, self-esteem, and a life-long love of learning by providing an academically excellent and nurturing Montessori environment for children in preschool through sixth grade.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-6|
|Total Students||94 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||5 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||19:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- The Ocean State Montessori School is the oldest Montessori school in Rhode Island. It was founded in 1973 by a group of parents interested in the Montessori Method. They secured a grant to purchase Montessori materials and hired a teacher and two assistants to teach 30 students in a church in Barrington. Over the years the school has expanded, adding additional Montessori classrooms and programs.
- The Ocean State Montessori School currently provides Montessori programs for children ages 3 through 12 (preschool through sixth grade) as well as after-school programs and vacation and summer camps. The Ocean State Montessori School is licensed by the Rhode Island Department of Education and the Rhode Island Department of Children, Youth and Families. We are an affiliate member of the American Montessori Society (AMS). Our teachers all hold bachelor’s or master’s degrees and have received, or are in the process of earning, their AMS teaching credential.
- Ocean State Montessori School is committed to serving the needs of all children and families supporting and celebrating diversity in the community we serve. Our classrooms provide this "prepared environment" in which children are free to explore and learn at their own pace. Each classroom has a full component of Montessori materials. The teacher acts as a guide to the classroom, recognizing periods of readiness, introducing new materials and demonstrating how to use them.
- Our Programs:
- Wee Threes Program (for children who turn 3 between September 1 and December 31) Our Wee Threes program addresses the unique needs of the younger three year old child and provides a wonderful introduction to a Montessori education.
- Primary Program (ages 3 - 6, preschool - kindergarten) The 3-year Primary program creates an atmosphere conducive to the young child's natural inclination to learn and explore.
- Lower Elementary (grades 1 - 3) Our integrated curriculum supports the Elementary student's understanding of abstract ideas and the development of their social and moral selves.
- Upper Elementary (grades 4 - 6) The Upper Elementary classroom gives students the opportunity to take on larger issues and greater responsibilities for academic advancement.
- At every level, our curriculum also includes art, music, language, and physical education.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- PawtucketGrades: PK-KG | 50 students
680 Newport Ave
Pawtucket, RI 02861
- PawtucketGrades: PK-K | 51 students
514 Smithfield Ave
Pawtucket, RI 02860
- CumberlandGrades: NS-8 | 349 students
35 Wrentham Rd
Cumberland, RI 02864
- BarringtonGrades: PK-8 | 209 students
10 Waldron Avenue
Barrington, RI 02806
- JohnstonGrades: PK-8 | 304 students
931 Atwood Ave
Johnston, RI 02919
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.