Ocean State Montessori School
5.00 (1 review)
- The Ocean State Montessori School offers Montessori programs for children in preschool (including our Wee Threes) through sixth grade, as well as after-school programs and vacation and summer camps.
- Founded in 1973, it is the oldest Montessori school in Rhode Island.
- Our Mission Statement: The Ocean State Montessori School fosters independence, self-esteem, and a life-long love of learning by providing an academically excellent and nurturing Montessori environment for children in preschool through sixth grade.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||98 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- The Ocean State Montessori School is the oldest Montessori school in Rhode Island. It was founded in 1973 by a group of parents interested in the Montessori Method. They secured a grant to purchase Montessori materials and hired a teacher and two assistants to teach 30 students in a church in Barrington. Over the years the school has expanded, adding additional Montessori classrooms and programs.
- The Ocean State Montessori School currently provides Montessori programs for children ages 3 through 12 (preschool through sixth grade) as well as after-school programs and vacation and summer camps. The Ocean State Montessori School is licensed by the Rhode Island Department of Education and the Rhode Island Department of Children, Youth and Families. We are an affiliate member of the American Montessori Society (AMS). Our teachers all hold bachelor’s or master’s degrees and have received, or are in the process of earning, their AMS teaching credential.
- Ocean State Montessori School is committed to serving the needs of all children and families supporting and celebrating diversity in the community we serve. Our classrooms provide this "prepared environment" in which children are free to explore and learn at their own pace. Each classroom has a full component of Montessori materials. The teacher acts as a guide to the classroom, recognizing periods of readiness, introducing new materials and demonstrating how to use them.
- Our Programs:
- Wee Threes Program (for children who turn 3 between September 1 and December 31) Our Wee Threes program addresses the unique needs of the younger three year old child and provides a wonderful introduction to a Montessori education.
- Primary Program (ages 3 - 6, preschool - kindergarten) The 3-year Primary program creates an atmosphere conducive to the young child's natural inclination to learn and explore.
- Lower Elementary (grades 1 - 3) Our integrated curriculum supports the Elementary student's understanding of abstract ideas and the development of their social and moral selves.
- Upper Elementary (grades 4 - 6) The Upper Elementary classroom gives students the opportunity to take on larger issues and greater responsibilities for academic advancement.
- At every level, our curriculum also includes art, music, language, and physical education.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Barrington Grades: PK-8 | 192 students
10 Waldron Avenue
Barrington, RI 02806
(401)246-0990 4.9 PK-8
Over the least 7 years, we've watched as our son grow creatively, socially and academically in the nurturing OSMS community. The faculty and staff are caring, intelligent individuals that support, challenge and grow the kids in every way. I'm looking forward to what the next three-year cycle will bring in Upper Elementary.In short, we love it!
- Posted by Parent - cheryl e
Choosing a college is one of the rituals every family with a junior in private school needs to cope with. These five metrics will give you an overview of the process.
A long summer break offers plenty of time for a wide range of activities for every age group. Here are some of the options available.
Educating a gifted child can be daunting as there is no clear roadmap for your child's education. Some thoughts and suggestions here.