Our Lady Of Good Counsel School
5.00 (12 reviews)
- Our Lady of Good Counsel is a parochial school for children in kindergarten through grade eight.
- The school has a long standing reputation for excellence in academics and a caring, family environment which facilitates learning and the child's spiritual, social, emotional and physical growth.
- OLGC School provides a Catholic education that is intended to make one's faith a living, conscious, and active one through the light of instruction.
- The integration of religious truth and values with life is the focal point of the curriculum.
- As part of its educational program, OLGC School strives for academic excellence, encourages appreciation of the fine arts, fosters self respect and respect for all life, and attempts to develop responsibility for the total community.
- We at Our Lady of Good Counsel School have the mission to provide an excellent Catholic education primarily for the children of our Lady of Good Counsel Parish, and on a space available basis, to non-parish students willing to commit to our philosophy of education.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2005|
|Total Students||440 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||20:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||25 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition based upon number of enrolled students per family.|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Tennis,|
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Altar Servers, Art Club, Band, Boy Scouts, Chess Club, Choir, Computer Club, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, LEGO League, Literary & Art Magazine, Science Club, Spirit Store, Student Council, Wildcat Tales Newspaper, Yearbook Staff Altar Servers, Art Club, Band, Boy Scouts, Chess Club, Choir, Computer Club, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, LEGO League, Science Club, Spirit Store, Yearbook Staff, Literary & Art Magazine,|
Wildcat Tales Newspaper,
The campus is located on 25 acres in a neighborhood setting in Northern Virginia.
The school includes:
The school includes:
- 19 classrooms (2 classrooms per grade and 2-3 kindergartens), a computer lab, science lab, library, music room, band room, art room, resource room, gymnasium, cafeteria, playground, and playing fields.
- OLGC students have access to the following technology: a computer lab with Windows 8 desktops, the schoolwide network, the Internet, desktops,laptops, netbooks, Chromebooks and iPads, wireless access, and interactive whiteboards in all classrooms and specialty areas. All Middle School students use iPads which are pre-loaded with e-textbooks, software and apps required for our program.
- The curriculum is supported by and students have access to an online library catalog, Power School, the Accelerated Reader program, Discovery School streaming video, and various other online programs.
- Students attend a liturgical service such as Mass or a prayer service each week.
- Our school has 35 faculty members, many with advanced degrees. Instructional aides assist in the primary grades. Limited small group instruction for students with learning disabilities is available. Standardized testing is administered three times per year to students in grades 3-7. Students in grades 5 and 8 take the ACRE (Religion test). All students in grade 8 take the High School Placement Test which is the admissions test for Catholic high schools in the area.
- Students are transported by car, walk, and bicycle to school. Students bring their lunch to school and milk is sold on a yearly basis. A vendor-provided lunch is available for an extra charge on Thursdays throughout the school year.
- The Extra-Curricular Activities Program (ECAP) is available from 3-6pm after school. Other enrichment opportunities include Art Club, Band, Chorus, Chess Club, Computer Club, Science Club, Dance, Lego League, Wildcat Chat School Newspaper Staff, Yearbook Staff, Literary & Art Magazine, Student Council, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, House League Basketball, CYO Basketball, CYO Tennis, and CYO Track & Field.
- Community service activities vary each year but also include food drives, Christmas Giving Tree and Adopt-a-Family, performances for seasoned citizens and various fundraising activities.
- Special events include Gr 4 Colonial Day, Gr 3 State Fair Day, Gr 6 Medieval Day, band and choir concerts, Gr 1 Mother's Day Tea, Gr 5 Biography Day, Muffins for Moms, Donuts for Dads, International Day, and Health & Wellness Day.
Our family has been part of the OLGC school community for 13 years. Most recently our second son completed OLGC and is headed to high school. My son's three years in OLGC Middle School were instrumental in his self esteem, organizational skills, academic development and social interactions. The upstairs is a nurturing environment where students are seen as individuals who are expected to perform to their highest potential. The small class size allows the teachers to get to know the individual student. This relationship grows deeper as the student has the same subject teacher for three years. Together the student and the teachers develop unique relationships to bring about their best work. Our son has some learning challenges for which the teachers developed strategies that worked for his needs. Our son's success is a direct result of the caring middle school teachers at OLGC.
- Posted by Parent - tcell
My daughter has attended OLGC for a year now, and we are pleased with the school. I can clearly see my daughter progressing academically, and in her faith formation. I am impressed with the language arts focus; my daughter's reading and writing are clearly progressing well. And the school has a reputation for strong middle school math. The teachers are dedicated, and care about the children. I especially like the science lab. The parents are also involved, which adds another strong dimension to the school community.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - ljbar
As a veteran teacher, I find the students at OLGC among the most intellectually curious and well-prepared of those I have ever taught. In general the students are academically stronger and more motivated than kids I''ve taught in other private schools in the area. The academic program is demanding yet thoughtful, and the school's mission of holistic education comes through in the many class activities, service projects, and quite simply the depth to which teachers, administrators, and staff really know the kids and want to help them succeed. The staff, children, and families here make the school a very special place to be.
- Posted by Teacher - dspri
I am a parent of two children who have graduated from and two children who currently attend OLGC. I have found the community at OLGC to be warm and welcoming both at the student and parent level. The teachers at OLGC are dedicated and caring and create a nurturing environment, which not only supports the academic development of each child, but also each child's spiritual development. Religion instruction is not only limited to daily lessons taught in the classroom, but it is also fostered in the celebration of the Mass and special prayer services. Sports are also strong at OLGC. OLGC has an exceptional House League basketball program for 4th and 5th graders and our teams consistently do well in the CYO basketball league and CYO track meets. In addition, our Art teacher inspires students creativity as any visitor can see when visiting the school or attending our Art Fair. The computer club and Lego League robotics club are two other extracurricular programs that enrich the curriculum at OLGC. Overall, my two older children were well prepared for high school and my younger two children are being challenged as well. The bottom line is that my kids were/ are happy at OLGC.
- Posted by Parent - knauf
OLGC is a faith based school with exceptional academics. It fosters community service, service to the school and church and a general atmosphere of family. The school has a wonderful and caring staff and faculty who make many sacrifices to give our children an excellent Catholic education. The classes range in size depending on the grade and are often supplemented by an aide. Our four children are very happy there and we could not imagine sending them anywhere else.
- Posted by Parent - etpaq
Our Lady of Good Counsel is a school which effectively combines formation in Catholic morals and faith with rigorous academics. Middle School teachers regularly receive unsolicited comments regarding how well graduates are prepared for high school, including honors and AP courses, from former students, parents and high school staff members.
- Posted by Teacher - pmcdo
Being that we have 5 children, we have been able to experience each grade at OLGC. On all levels we are extremely satisfied.The caliber of the teaching staff and the education our chidren are receiving is superior. We are excited about the many middle school enhancements. We are also very pleased with the Chrsitian example and teachings practiced throughout a typical day. Along with attending weekly mass, our kids are taught Religion on a daily basis. Also, the community at OLGC is like no other. It is a very special and welcoming group of amazing families. We are so happy to be a part of it all! Amy & Tim McConville
- Posted by Parent - timan
We are thrilled with OLGC!! Our children are receiving an excellent Catholic based education. There are many educational opportunities for both remedial assistance and advanced academics. The full time school counselor, Mr. Raab works with all the classes on social skills and academic organization. And the full time nurse, Mrs. Barker is so compassionate! My children love her classroom lessons!! Since moving to Virginia, we have been so fortunate to to find not only an excellent educational environment for our children, but also a community that has welcomed us from the very beginning!
- Posted by Parent - Mflyn
The faith-based education our children are receiving at OLGC is exceptional! OLGC exceeds the educational needs of both of our children-one who is working ahead in math and the other who needs more assistance in reading. The art program is extraordinary! We are always amazed by the work our children bring home. I have decorated my office in their art work and receive complements on their work daily! OLGC also has a full-time School Counselor and a full-time nurse who, aside from working and helping students and families individually, also provide topical classroom lessons. The community at OLGC has always been kind and welcoming. As a family that moved to the area a few years ago, we are so thrilled to have found OLGC School and community!!
- Posted by Parent - mflyn
OLGC has been a wonderful school for our daughters. We have been pleased with the high quality education that our children have received and the nurturing environment in which they have received it. The teachers have been very caring and supportive. Our girls have been academically challenged and have thrived in the loving environment that prevails throughout the school. OLGC has played a significant role in teaching our daughters important values and how to strive to "live like Jesus and have Jesus shine through your heart." The Catholic values that have been instilled in our children will help them overcome the challenges they may face in the future. Our children have been very happy and comfortable at OLGC. We could not be more pleased with our experience at OLGC. We feel very blessed to be a part of the OLGC family.
- Posted by Parent - garts
I grew up in suburban area in the Northeast in a town where families truly looked out for one another and where people were invested in their community. It was a special place to live. I am so grateful to have found a similarly special place in OLGC so that my children can have that same experience. OLGC provides my children with a high quality education all the while providing my family with a wonderful community that often feels like family. The school administration, the teachers and the families at the school truly care and I know that my children benefit greatly on a daily basis. My husband and I could not be happier with our decision to send our children to OLGC.
- Posted by Parent - shiel
My son has attended OLGC for the past three years and I could not be happier with his education and faith formation! Even in a class of 30 students, he receives individual attention and help. His teacher is in regular communication with me on his progress and areas of concern. My son is so happy here and comes home with a big smile everyday!
- Posted by Parent - aleem
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.
September 29, 2017
Here are a dozen or so girls' schools' public thoughts about themselves and their missions.