Our Lady Of Good Counsel School
5.00 (12 reviews)
- Our Lady of Good Counsel is a parochial school for children in Preschool through Grade 8.
- The school has a long standing reputation for excellence in academics and a caring, family environment which facilitates learning and the child's spiritual, social, emotional and physical growth.
- OLGC School provides a Catholic education that is intended to make one's faith a living, conscious, and active one through the light of instruction.
- The integration of religious truth and values with life is the focal point of the curriculum.
- As part of its educational program, OLGC School strives for academic excellence, encourages appreciation of the fine arts, fosters self respect and respect for all life, and attempts to develop responsibility for the total community.
- We at Our Lady of Good Counsel School have the mission to provide an excellent Catholic education primarily for the children of our Lady of Good Counsel Parish, and on a space available basis, to non-parish students willing to commit to our philosophy of education.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2005|
|Total Students||470 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||19 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||25:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||23 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition based upon number of enrolled students per family.|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Tennis,|
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Altar Servers, Boy Scouts, Computer Science Club, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, Science Club, Shakespeare Club, Student Council, Yearbook Staff
Arts and Music Programs:
The campus is located on 25 acres in a neighborhood setting in Northern Virginia.
The school includes:
The school includes:
- 19 classrooms (2 classrooms per grade and 2-3 kindergartens), a computer lab, science lab, Academic Support Center, library, music room, band room, art room, resource room, gymnasium, cafeteria, playground, and playing fields.
- OLGC students have access to the following technology: a computer lab with Windows 8 desktops, the schoolwide network, the Internet, desktops,laptops, netbooks, Chromebooks and iPads, wireless access, and interactive whiteboards in all classrooms and specialty areas. All Middle School students use iPads which are pre-loaded with e-textbooks, software and apps required for our program.
- The curriculum is supported by and students have access to an online library catalog, Power School, Discovery School streaming video, and various other online programs.
- Students attend Mass each week.
- Our school has 42 faculty members, many with advanced degrees. Instructional aides assist in the primary grades. Limited small group instruction for students with learning disabilities is available. Standardized testing is administered three times per year to students in grades 3-7. Students in grades 5 and 8 take the ACRE (Religion test). All students in grade 8 take the High School Placement Test which is the admissions test for Catholic high schools in the area.
- Students are transported by car, walk, and bicycle to school. Students bring their lunch to school and milk is sold on a yearly basis. A vendor-provided lunch is available for an extra charge on Thursdays throughout the school year.
- The Extra-Curricular Activities Program (ECAP) is available from 3-6pm after school. Other enrichment opportunities include Art Club, Band, Chorus, Computer Science Club, Science Club, Wildcat Chat School Newspaper Staff, Yearbook Staff, Student Council, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, House League Basketball, CYO Basketball, CYO Tennis, and CYO Track & Field. Additionally, some vendor-sponsored classes are offered after school (Chess, Dance, Yoga, Coding and Robotics).
- Community service activities vary each year but also include food drives, Christmas Giving Tree and Adopt-a-Family, performances for seasoned citizens and various fundraising activities.
- Special events include Gr 4 Colonial Day, Gr 3 State Fair Day, Band and choir concerts, Gr 5 Biography Day, Celebrate Families Fall Mass & Reception, and Health & Wellness Day. Other events are added as needed.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Mc Lean Grades: PK-8 | 234 students
6422 Linway Ter
Mc Lean, VA 22101
(703)356-7554 4.4 PK-8
OLGC is a special community, and being a part of it has been a wonderful gift. In the last 2 years the school has grown exponentially in its offerings, advancement and resources. From offering advanced mathematics in grades as low as 3rd grade, foreign language in all grade levels, the option for Geometry in 8th grade, dynamic computer classes, science and STEM lab, a very caring and effective school counselor, teachers with years of experience and advanced degrees - I could go on and on. Our Lady of Good Counsel is a wonderful place for your child to learn, develop, grow and excel! Mrs. Jewett, the principle of the last 2 years, has a unique perspective in her role: she is a long standing and respected teacher with many years of experience and a parent of a student. The teachers at OLGC come from various backgrounds and many of them hold advanced degrees. OLGC recently named an Assistant Principal for the 2019-2020 school year who is already a beloved member of the school community. Robin Williams will be a great addition and will reinforce and grow all of Mrs. Jewett's initiatives. OLGC continues to try to accommodate children of all different learning abilities. The school has many resources on staff, and that list continues to grow to accommodate a growing population. This year the school has implemented flexible seating, helping students to learn through multiple modalities (tactile, auditory, visual, etc.) and technology. The school's climate is very positive with an emphasis on positivity and rewarding positive behavior. Students are taught to live their faith. They have a high moral caliber and are taught respect for those around them. As parents, we are more than impressed with each graduating class that we have interacted with. Students are encouraged daily to "Live, Love and Serve - Live Jesus" and that is evident.
- Posted by Parent - JDKinyon
Our family has been part of the OLGC school community for 13 years. Most recently our second son completed OLGC and is headed to high school. My son's three years in OLGC Middle School were instrumental in his self esteem, organizational skills, academic development and social interactions. The upstairs is a nurturing environment where students are seen as individuals who are expected to perform to their highest potential. The small class size allows the teachers to get to know the individual student. This relationship grows deeper as the student has the same subject teacher for three years. Together the student and the teachers develop unique relationships to bring about their best work. Our son has some learning challenges for which the teachers developed strategies that worked for his needs. Our son's success is a direct result of the caring middle school teachers at OLGC.
- Posted by Parent - tcell
As a veteran teacher, I find the students at OLGC among the most intellectually curious and well-prepared of those I have ever taught. In general the students are academically stronger and more motivated than kids I''ve taught in other private schools in the area. The academic program is demanding yet thoughtful, and the school's mission of holistic education comes through in the many class activities, service projects, and quite simply the depth to which teachers, administrators, and staff really know the kids and want to help them succeed. The staff, children, and families here make the school a very special place to be.
- Posted by Teacher - dspri
My daughter has attended OLGC for a year now, and we are pleased with the school. I can clearly see my daughter progressing academically, and in her faith formation. I am impressed with the language arts focus; my daughter's reading and writing are clearly progressing well. And the school has a reputation for strong middle school math. The teachers are dedicated, and care about the children. I especially like the science lab. The parents are also involved, which adds another strong dimension to the school community.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - ljbar
I am a parent of two children who have graduated from and two children who currently attend OLGC. I have found the community at OLGC to be warm and welcoming both at the student and parent level. The teachers at OLGC are dedicated and caring and create a nurturing environment, which not only supports the academic development of each child, but also each child's spiritual development. Religion instruction is not only limited to daily lessons taught in the classroom, but it is also fostered in the celebration of the Mass and special prayer services. Sports are also strong at OLGC. OLGC has an exceptional House League basketball program for 4th and 5th graders and our teams consistently do well in the CYO basketball league and CYO track meets. In addition, our Art teacher inspires students creativity as any visitor can see when visiting the school or attending our Art Fair. The computer club and Lego League robotics club are two other extracurricular programs that enrich the curriculum at OLGC. Overall, my two older children were well prepared for high school and my younger two children are being challenged as well. The bottom line is that my kids were/ are happy at OLGC.
- Posted by Parent - knauf
OLGC is a faith based school with exceptional academics. It fosters community service, service to the school and church and a general atmosphere of family. The school has a wonderful and caring staff and faculty who make many sacrifices to give our children an excellent Catholic education. The classes range in size depending on the grade and are often supplemented by an aide. Our four children are very happy there and we could not imagine sending them anywhere else.
- Posted by Parent - etpaq
Our Lady of Good Counsel is a school which effectively combines formation in Catholic morals and faith with rigorous academics. Middle School teachers regularly receive unsolicited comments regarding how well graduates are prepared for high school, including honors and AP courses, from former students, parents and high school staff members.
- Posted by Teacher - pmcdo
The faith-based education our children are receiving at OLGC is exceptional! OLGC exceeds the educational needs of both of our children-one who is working ahead in math and the other who needs more assistance in reading. The art program is extraordinary! We are always amazed by the work our children bring home. I have decorated my office in their art work and receive complements on their work daily! OLGC also has a full-time School Counselor and a full-time nurse who, aside from working and helping students and families individually, also provide topical classroom lessons. The community at OLGC has always been kind and welcoming. As a family that moved to the area a few years ago, we are so thrilled to have found OLGC School and community!!
- Posted by Parent - mflyn
Being that we have 5 children, we have been able to experience each grade at OLGC. On all levels we are extremely satisfied.The caliber of the teaching staff and the education our chidren are receiving is superior. We are excited about the many middle school enhancements. We are also very pleased with the Chrsitian example and teachings practiced throughout a typical day. Along with attending weekly mass, our kids are taught Religion on a daily basis. Also, the community at OLGC is like no other. It is a very special and welcoming group of amazing families. We are so happy to be a part of it all! Amy & Tim McConville
- Posted by Parent - timan
OLGC has been a wonderful school for our daughters. We have been pleased with the high quality education that our children have received and the nurturing environment in which they have received it. The teachers have been very caring and supportive. Our girls have been academically challenged and have thrived in the loving environment that prevails throughout the school. OLGC has played a significant role in teaching our daughters important values and how to strive to "live like Jesus and have Jesus shine through your heart." The Catholic values that have been instilled in our children will help them overcome the challenges they may face in the future. Our children have been very happy and comfortable at OLGC. We could not be more pleased with our experience at OLGC. We feel very blessed to be a part of the OLGC family.
- Posted by Parent - garts
I grew up in suburban area in the Northeast in a town where families truly looked out for one another and where people were invested in their community. It was a special place to live. I am so grateful to have found a similarly special place in OLGC so that my children can have that same experience. OLGC provides my children with a high quality education all the while providing my family with a wonderful community that often feels like family. The school administration, the teachers and the families at the school truly care and I know that my children benefit greatly on a daily basis. My husband and I could not be happier with our decision to send our children to OLGC.
- Posted by Parent - shiel
My son has attended OLGC for the past three years and I could not be happier with his education and faith formation! Even in a class of 30 students, he receives individual attention and help. His teacher is in regular communication with me on his progress and areas of concern. My son is so happy here and comes home with a big smile everyday!
- Posted by Parent - aleem
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.