5.00 (7 reviews)
- The Porter School specializes in teaching students with anxiety, ADHD, and mild to moderate learning differences who have not been successful in larger, more traditional classroom settings.
Porter Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Georgia for:
- Category Attribute
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Atlanta Association of Independent Schools (AAAIS)
Georgia Private School Accreditation Council (GAPSAC)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Anxiety, ADHD, Processing, LD, Social Struggles|
|Total Students||62 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,476|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes small class sizes, OG or Wilson, small group speech therapy, OT, and Music Therapy|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Barbara Richard|
- The Porter School is able to meet the needs of students with various learning styles by using a language-rich and multi-sensorylearning program. Our program addresses the needs of the whole child, enabling our students to reach their full potential.
- Reading and Math are taught in small groups of 3-6, while other subjects are taught to larger groups of 10-12
- Our student planner system encourages organization, responsibility and constant parental communication
- Our reward system focuses on positive reinforcement, teamwork and building self-esteem
- Citizenship education emphasizes core values including kindness,positive communication and respect for people and property
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Alpharetta Grades: PK-12 | 40 students
225 Roswell Street
Alpharetta, GA 30009
(770)772-4555 4.2 PK-12
- Roswell Grades: 4-12 | 257 students
700 Grimes Bridge Road
Roswell, GA 30075
(770)641-8688 5.5 4-12
- Decatur Grades: K-6 | 22 students
705 S. Candler Street
Decatur, GA 30030
(404)378-9706 21.3 K-6
My son has several learning difficulties, along with ADHD and Apraxia, and after just a month at Porter, all the difference in the world has been made with his self esteem and confidence. He is also not on any ADHD medication for the first time and has no problem focusing. His behavior has been amazing, and he has made several friends. This is an amazing school!!!!
- Posted by Parent - Sfried93
Porter Academy was recommended to us by our grandson's psychiatrist when we decided not to have him In the public school system due to a severe learning disability. That was over a year ago and it was the best decision we could have made. He is thriving and happy.
- Posted by Parent - Ruth
Porter Academy is an amazing school! WE had a tough time trying to find the right school for our son. We tried secular private and public school, and Porter was finally the perfect fit. They have taught our son how to address his learning differences and use that moving forward. The staff is fantastic and highly recommend this school!
- Posted by Parent - Funnygrlga
I absolutely love Porter for my son. Public school failed us and Porter met our needs. I’m so very grateful. The teachers are amazing with all the children. Therapy is amazing! I saw results within a few weeks.
- Posted by Parent - Porter Mom
My child has been at Porter for several years and I cannot imagine him being anywhere else. The love and support that he receives from all the staff and teachers is what I wish that I had growing up. My son is happy there and is progressed as he progresses. He has made huge gains since starting there years ago. They have many resources on site to help different challenges that the high functioning student body presents with. The children are taught responsibility and the internal reward systems work well. I have seen many students that started there failing at other institutions that succeed happily and peacefully at Porter. The smaller size is ideal for any student and most especially a student who has a learning difference or challenge. Porter is a bit of a best kept secret! SO happy that we landed at Porter.
- Posted by Parent - Nugglet
After struggling greatly at a public school (with IEP support), both socially and academically, our daughter is finally thriving at Porter Academy. The small class sizes, developmental homerooms and OT/speech support have helped her to find success at school. She is now understood and encouraged every day.
- Posted by Parent - Mary Neil
After terrible experiences in public and private schools, my son was finally understood and appreciated at Porter. He loves school and we have seen more social and academic progress than ever before.
- Posted by Parent - T
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.