5.00 (2 reviews)
- The Porter School specializes in teaching students with anxiety, ADHD, and mild to moderate learning differences who have not been successful in larger, more traditional classroom settings.
Porter Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Georgia for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||State or regional independent school association|
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Anxiety, ADHD, Processing, LD, Social Struggles|
|Total Students||65 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,476|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes small class sizes, OG or Wilson, small group speech therapy, OT, and Music Therapy|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Barbara Richard|
- The Porter School is able to meet the needs of students with various learning styles by using a language-rich and multi-sensorylearning program. Our program addresses the needs of the whole child, enabling our students to reach their full potential.
- Reading and Math are taught in small groups of 3-6, while other subjects are taught to larger groups of 10-12
- Our student planner system encourages organization, responsibility and constant parental communication
- Our reward system focuses on positive reinforcement, teamwork and building self-esteem
- Citizenship education emphasizes core values including kindness,positive communication and respect for people and property
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Alpharetta Grades: PK-12 | 40 students
225 Roswell Street
Alpharetta, GA 30009
(770)772-4555 4.2 PK-12
- Roswell Grades: 4-12 | 257 students
700 Grimes Bridge Road
Roswell, GA 30075
(770)641-8688 5.5 4-12
- Atlanta Grades: K-12 | 287 students
1192 Foster Street, NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404)377-7436 21.5 K-12
After struggling greatly at a public school (with IEP support), both socially and academically, our daughter is finally thriving at Porter Academy. The small class sizes, developmental homerooms and OT/speech support have helped her to find success at school. She is now understood and encouraged every day.
- Posted by Parent - Mary Neil
After terrible experiences in public and private schools, my son was finally understood and appreciated at Porter. He loves school and we have seen more social and academic progress than ever before.
- Posted by Parent - T
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.