Southern Preparatory Academy
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #2 - Strength of Brotherhood: Southern Prep provides young men with a unique opportunity to benefit from an environment that fosters the development of these bonds: where cadets share a common goal of not only becoming leaders but also becoming part of a team.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #3 - Strength of Achievement: First we are a school, then we are a military academy. For our students, the advantage is that we are both. This is because when students apply the structure, organization, and self-discipline of military principles to their academics, they become efficient with their study time, excelling in the quantity and quality of the work they can accomplish.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #4 - Strength of Opportunity: When students have the vision to dream, we take it upon ourselves to provide them with the opportunity. This is what drives the implementation of signature experiences such as our Aviation Program-which provides our boys with the opportunity to (literally) soar to new heights.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #5 - Strength of Preparation: To be ready for college and life beyond means much more today than academic preparation; it means preparation for life. Our graduates move on with the skills to lead; with strong abilities in self-discipline, organization, and teamwork; and with the drive to achieve.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #6 - Strength of Leadership: Because military standards surrounding organization, self-care, and respect are clear and consistent, it creates an environment where the possibility for achievement is equal among all cadets. For many boys, this provides a new opportunity to prove themselves...and they do.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #7 - Strength of Southern Prep: We believe that every young man wants to be a part of something great. He wants to become as wise, as strong, as brave, and as respected as he can be. We also believe that each young man can become his very best self when he discovers that responsibility and hard work can make anything possible.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #8 - Cadets across campus have an opportunity to better themselves in a variety of ways, such as through the weekly worship service in the Dixon All Faith Chapel on campus. This non-denominational service inspires young men to become more than they ever thought is possible.
Southern Preparatory Academy Photo #9 - Academics are at the highest level of importance at Southern Prep. The curriculum is designed to provide seven years of academic study to students in grades 6-12 who are preparing for vocational training or admission into a college or university. It is challenging, yet rewarding.
- Our purpose is to prepare each cadet for the responsibilities of life and offer the best in academic instruction coupled with the discipline of a military program.
- Southern Preparatory Academy will be recognized as one of the best military boarding schools for young men in the world.
|School Type||Military School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Military Colleges and Schools|
Alabama Association of Independent Schools (AAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||69 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Uniforms provided by school)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$24,625|
|Tuition Notes||Discounts are available for military families, first responders and more.|
|Admissions Director||Jenifer Isbell|
|Admissions Associate||Morgan Comolli|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Drill Team, Football, SoccerBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Drill Team,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Aviation Program, Beta Club, Color Guard, Drill Team, Drone Demonstration Team, Ranger Team, Robotics Team, Scholars' Bowl, Sword Drill
- We believe that every young man wants to be a part of something great. He wants to become as wise, as strong, as brave, and as respected as he can be. We also believe that each young man can become his very best self when he discovers that responsibility and hard work can make anything possible. Capable young men with this potential to achieve are the young men of Southern Prep.
- Since its founding in 1898, the focus of our school has been to provide students with opportunity. The opportunity to experience something more; to do something bigger; to be someone better. This same transformational experience remains at the core of the school`s mission today and is rooted in Southern Prep`s close-knit community of adults and students living and learning together in an environment that balances challenge and support.
- We are an independent boarding school committed to preparing young men of integrity and strength for leadership in college and beyond. Our graduates are proud to be Southern Prep men. Proud of their achievements. Proud of their success. Proud to be a part of something great.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Mount Shasta Grades: K-12
118 Siskiyou Ave
Mount Shasta, CA 96067
(530)926-6263 2087.3 K-12
- Birmingham Grades: PK-6 | 225 students
2800 Montessori Way
Birmingham, AL 35209
(205)879-3278 80.7 PK-6
- Fairhope Grades: PK-12 | 438 students
316 Presbyterian Dr
Fairhope, AL 36532
(251)929-0011 206.1 PK-12
- Green Pond Grades: 8-11 | 14 students
77 Enterprise Loop Rd
Green Pond, AL 35074
(205)938-9274 89.8 8-11
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.