Spring Hill School
5.00 (8 reviews)
- Spring Hill School provides and individualized learning environment in which each child`s unique gifts are recognized and nurtured, enabling them to reach their highest potential.
- Located in Santa Cruz, California, Spring Hill is an independent private school serving preschool through sixth grade students and sending graduates to top national and local public and private schools. Spring Hill School is the only independent design thinking elementary school of its kind on the Central Coast of California. Santa Cruz County residents voted Spring Hill School as the Best Private School in Santa Cruz County in the 2016 Santa Cruz Sentinel Reader`s Choice Awards.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2004|
|Total Students||126 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$14,200|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,700|
|Admissions Director||Cindy Jaconette|
|Admissions Associate||Lenise Orejuela|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Hip Hop Dance, Kids Art, Lego Robotics, Music, Photography, Rock Band, Student Council, Tech Club, Tumbling|
Club or Organization:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Two full time teachers in Kindergarten class ratio 8:1
- Class size limit of 16 students
- Strong emphasis on hands on learning & individualized programs in reading and math - children work at their own pace
- Exceptional language arts, math, algebra, science & life lab programs
- Spanish classes begin in Kindergarten
- Fine arts: music, drama and studio art
- Before and after school care
- After school optional enrichment programs: Lego Robotics, Fine Art, Tumbling/Gymnastics, Music lessons- Guitar and Piano, and sports programs: volleyball, basketball, tennis, various field sports
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Santa Cruz Grades: K-8 | 243 students
126 Eucalyptus Ave
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(831)423-0341 0.9 K-8
- Santa Cruz Grades: NS-8 | 159 students
2190 Empire Grade
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(831)425-0519 5.3 NS-8
- Aptos Grades: K-6 | 58 students
2288 Trout Gulch Rd
Aptos, CA 95003
(831)688-1074 8.5 K-6
- Santa Cruz Grades: K-6 | 50 students
366 Gault St
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
(831)429-8444 1.9 K-6
My kids are happy to come to school every day. They love the school offerings. The confidence they have is a valuable skill to have learned at such a young age. Our family is grateful to the staff for treating our students as individuals and meeting them where they need to be met.
- Posted by Parent - Rachael
As a grandparent and retired Teacher I am so impressed how Spring Hill educates the whole child with not only a strong academic program, but many experiences in presentation skills, art, music, dance, drama, tech, problem solving and design thinking to name a few. I have volunteered in many classes and have observed how skilled teachers and small classes offer students the chance to soar knowing they are part of a caring community of students, staff and families. My grandson has transformed from a very shy 1st grader to a confident, we'll prepared 6th grader. Bravo!
- Posted by Parent - Karin
Spring Hill has brought out the best in both of my children. My chief request of the school is that they "know" my kids and understand their unique needs as each of my children have very different academic and emotional needs. Unlike so many schools that claim to "individualize" their curriculum, Spring Hill actually delivers on this promise. This applies to the academic curriculum where children can receive extra support where needed and be accelerated where possible. But it also applies to the "whole child" aspects that we expect from a private school education. Amazing experience. If your child needs more than you can get from public school, you should definitely check out Spring Hill. Undoubtedly the best in Santa Cruz... I've looked at them all.
- Posted by Parent - Michael
I am so thankful for Spring Hill. It is an amazing school. My daughter is the first one ready in the morning because she loves it so much. The academics are the best in the county (with individualized learning), but they also have social-emotional curriculum and really focus on the whole child. The community is blended and warm and friendly, and the before/aftercare - as well as the after school enrichment programs - make logistics easy on families with 2 working parents, like us. Spring Hill is really a precious school; every family should be so lucky to come here, and I love that the financial aid can help that happen for many.
- Posted by Parent - Sara
Spring Hill is really an amazing school. Starting with their ability to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of each child and working closely to help them advance at their own pace. This is the best education approach today and it has proven true to our child since Kindergarten. The advantages of a curriculum designed to help our son reach his true potential along with great teachers and staff has made the School experience a fun and rewarding one for our family. Our son adores Spring Hill and loves going back. I encourage everyone to consider Spring Hill for their kids.
- Posted by Parent - SatisfiedParent
Spring Hill offers such a dynamic curriculum including art, life lab, music, spanish, electives, history, science, drama, design lab, dance and so much more for ALL students. My kids exuberantly look forward to school every single day. After switching our kids from public to private school to seek a more individualized, challenging education, Spring Hill has far surpassed our expectations in reading, writing, and math as well as the subjects listed above. Our children have formed life-long friendships and have gained amazing compassion and confidence in themselves because of the amazing community of teachers and students at Spring Hill!
- Posted by Parent - Michelle
We love the reduced instructional hours and many fun field trips. The school culture is a charming blend of privileged and provincial. The school screens out sub-advanced students in order to control the quality of our child's peer group. This school has it all!
- Posted by Parent - Hamis
Spring Hill has exceeded our expectations of what a school could be! Excellent motivated and creative teachers who meet the students individual needs to help each child reach their full potential. Our child is being challenged and learning above the grade level, but most importantly our child loves to come to school and never wants to miss a day!
- Posted by Parent - eliss
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Raising money for your small school never seems to end. There is always some pressing need. And a few long-term ones as well. We offer some tips, suggestions and strategies to help you tackle this important aspect of your school's financial situation.