St. Luke's School
Tel: (203) 801-4833
- St. Luke's School's mission is to offer an exceptional education that inspires a deep love of learning, a strong moral compass, the commitment to serve and the confidence to lead.
- We accomplish this through an effective balance of traditional education enhanced by a forward-thinking environment.
- New ideas and concepts in education are embraced, risks are taken and educators and students have the freedom to explore what it means to learn and grow.
- On our Hilltop, the community is diverse and friendly and the culture inclusive.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Institute for Independent Education|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 5-12|
|Total Students||581 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||74 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||17 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science, English Composition - Language & Composition, English Literature - Literature & Composition, European History, French, Latin, Music Theory, Physics C, Spanish, Statistics, Studio Art-2D, Studio Art-D, US Government & Politics, US History|
|Average SAT score||1310|
|Average ACT score||29|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 30 / Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$42,280|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition 2019-2020 MS - $42,280 US - $44,240|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$35,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Ginny Bachman|
|Admissions Associate||Michael Rupp|
|Endowment Size||$31 million|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, VolleyballAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||52 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Admissions Ambassadors, Affinity Groups, App Development Club, b Kind Club, Brighten Club, Cerebral Palsy Club, Chess Club, China Care, Debate Club (Middle School), Debate Team (Upper School), Environmental Club, Fallen Patriots Youth Club, Filling in the Blanks Club, Fox G1 Club, Gender & Sexuality Awareness (GSA), Girls Leadership Initiative, Honor Council, Kids Helping Kids Club, Literary Magazine-The Pendulum, Living on a Dollar a Day Club, Loved Movement Club, Lunch & Lead Committee, Math Team, Model UN (Middle and Upper School), Music Club, Night to Shine Club, Paws Unite Club, Poetry Club, School Newspaper-The Sentinel, Service Board, Stay Woke Club, Student Council (Middle and Upper School), Student Diversity Leadership Council, Support Our Soldiers, Sustainability Club, T1D Club, Think Pink-Cancer Awareness Club, Veterans Appreciation Club, W.I.S.E. (Women in Stem Education) Club, World Vision Club, Wrapped in Love Club, Yearbook, Young Men of Color, Young Republicans Club, Young Women of Color
Arts and Music Programs:
A Capella Choirs (Male & Female), Blues Band, Choir and Band, Drama (Middle and Upper School), Jazz Band, Radio Station-WSLX, Theatre Tech
- Every school has its own personality. St. Luke's families say there is a tangible warmth on our campus. The main entrance captures the spirit of our wonderful community with two essential plaques-Henry James' quotation, set in stone in our Be Kind Plaza and our motto, inscribed over St. Luke's doorway: Enter to Learn. Go forth to Serve.
- At St. Luke's, exceptional academics and strong community connections are inextricable. Our alumni cite relationships with teachers as the top value of their St. Luke's education, while parents speak of the skills and responsiveness that distinguish our faculty.
- We are the only Fairchester school to offer a Center for Leadership. St. Luke's mission is an exceptional education that inspires a deep love of learning, a strong moral compass, the commitment to serve and the confidence to lead. St. Luke's Center for Leadership advances our mission by helping students develop exceptional leadership ability.
- Many families are attracted to St. Luke's blend of traditional education and forward-thinking environment. New ideas and concepts in education are embraced and risks taken. Educators and students have the freedom to explore what it means to learn and grow.
- St. Luke's designLab offers "mastery" (moving forward as you master concepts) engineering courses, a fully-equipped fabrication lab, and school-wide, design-thinking challenges-including a two-day Hackathon. We also have blended and online learning options and many project-based learning experiences including a January Term where students step out of traditional class routines to work full-time, in groups, on "real world" problems.
- Students appreciate the chance to try new things and maybe even discover a new passion. We have an extensive visual and performing arts program, and many opportunities for self-expression and exploration. A favorite in the Middle School is Xploration where teams tackle a challenge such as a "world without human interaction, creativity, human rights, healthy food, or technology." Students work together, they seek resources on and off campus, and they present findings to teachers and peers.
- St. Luke's has additional signature programs including eighth grade Declamations-a rite of passage where each student immerses in a semester-long research project and presentation, and our Upper School Scholars Program-where seniors may apply to pursue a year-long research initiative and present their findings at our annual Scholars Symposium.
- St. Luke's is a secular, college-preparatory day school. We serve grades 5-12. Located in New Canaan Connecticut, St. Luke`s attracts families from 30 towns throughout Connecticut and New York. A combination of challenging academics and truly exceptional community support distinguishes St. Luke's and encourages our students to go above and beyond their own expectations. St. Luke's offers and inclusive environment where differences in race, culture, and personal beliefs are embraced as assets that enhance education. St. Luke's prides itself on being a forward-thinking school and home to the Center for Leadership-offering signature global education, service learning and leadership-focused programs.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Greens Farms Grades: PK-12 | 713 students
35 Beachside Avenue
Greens Farms, CT 06838
(203) 256-7501 10.7 PK-12
- Stamford Grades: PK-12 | 695 students
1450 Newfield Ave
Stamford, CT 06905
(203) 322-3496 6.1 PK-12
- Greenwich Grades: PK-12 | 1006 students
100 Maher Avenue
Greenwich, CT 06830
(203) 625-5800 12.5 PK-12
- Stamford Grades: 9-12 | 335 students
926 Newfield Ave
Stamford, CT 06905
(203) 487-8242 7.2 9-12
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?