Greens Farms Academy
Tel: (203) 256-7501
- Greens Farms Academy is a PreK-12, independent day school dedicated to guiding students through a rigorous course of study encompassing academics, arts and athletics.
- In a supportive community built on trust, we give our students the opportunity to become critical, independent and creative thinkers and encourage them to explore particular passions that will sustain them throughout their lives.
- We believe that a diverse school environment enriches learning, creates respect for differences and prepares students to become socially responsible leaders.
- By practicing good citizenship, demonstrating moral character and actively engaging in community service, our students embody the school motto, Quisque Pro Omnibus, Each for all.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||713 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 25%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||84 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language, AP French Literature, AP Latin, AP Modern European History, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History, Calculus 2, Field Natural History, Number Theory, Organic Chemistry 1, Organic Chemistry 2, Organic Chemistry 3|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Lower School $33,840 Middle School $35,520 Upper School $37,480|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$22,700|
|Admissions Associate||Peggy Harwood|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
- Greens Farms Academy is an independent, coeducational, PreK-12 day school that guides 715 hard-working, inquisitive students through a rigorous academic experience. What sets GFA apart is the wide variety of elective opportunities in the fine arts, performing arts, competitive athletics, and community service, which deeply enhance the school’s strong traditional course of study. A diverse student population comes to GFA from more than 30 communities in lower Fairfield County via car/carpool, GFA van, or Metro-North train. The school is housed in a former Vanderbilt family estate overlooking Long Island Sound in the Greens Farms section of Westport. This idyllic campus borders three ecosystems--a salt marsh, Audubon woodlands, and the Long Island Sound--giving students abundant opportunities for learning in the environmental sciences. Though GFA is steeped in tradition, with its high stone walls, brick courtyard and English garden, our students experience a variety of teaching styles and innovative studies. In the Lower School, small groups of eager students learn in a hands-on environment, while the new Environmental Science lab and Performing Arts wing serve students in all three divisions. Last year, our Middle School students entered an expanded world of learning in their new Middle School wing, assuming leadership roles in state-of the-art classrooms, utilizing distance learning technology and participating in community-service learning projects. Similarly, students in the Upper School also helped inaugurate new seminar-style classrooms, where they develop confidence, leadership, and critical thinking skills through academic debate. They may choose elective courses in their areas of interest but can also follow a traditional AP route. Every year, students in the Middle and Upper School take part in extended, overnight field trips, such as the sophomore schooner trip, where they may actually find themselves standing the solitary night watch. The visionary renovation and expansion of our academic facilities has provided state-of-the art teaching spaces for all three divisions. Upcoming improvements include reconfigured and expanded athletic fields and tennis courts, a new squash and fitness center and a fixed-seat auditorium. GFA students distinguish themselves in the arts, winning state and national recognition for their work in photography, video, and the fine arts. Their teachers in these areas are all working artists in their own right. GFA athletes are solid contenders in the Fairchester League of Independent Schools who regularly receive recognition as Athletes of the Week. Our highly skilled scholar-athletes are sought after by the best colleges and universities. Our graduates consistently attribute their success to the close student-teacher relationships, academic confidence, and good habits of mind they developed at Greens Farms Academy. They take with them into the world a sense of the school's motto: Quisque Pro Omnibus, Each for All. Families are invited to tour GFA, and meet with faculty, coaches and students at our fall Open House on Sunday, October 25th 2015, beginning at 1:00 pm. No reservations are required and families are welcome. For more information, or to request Application materials, please visit our website www.gfacademy.org. Need-based financial aid is available to qualified applicants.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Stamford Grades: PK-12 | 695 students
1450 Newfield Ave
Stamford, CT 06905
(203) 322-3496 11.3 PK-12
- New Canaan Grades: 5-12 | 581 students
377 North Wilton Road
New Canaan, CT 06840
(203) 801-4833 10.7 5-12
- Danbury Grades: NS-12 | 350 students
91 Miry Brook Rd
Danbury, CT 06810
(203) 830-3916 19.6 NS-12
As the COVID-19 virus spreads throughout the United States, we look at steps schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?