New Canaan Country School
- The mission of New Canaan Country School is to guide students to reach their intellectual, creative, moral, and physical potential. We value the imagination and curiosity of children and respect childhood as an integral part of life.
- Our teachers set high academic standards and challenge students to question, to think, to collaborate, and to act with integrity.
- The school works in partnership with families to teach personal, social, and environmental responsibility and to create a community that honors diversity and our common humanity.
- New Canaan Country School inspires students to be lifelong learners with the courage and confidence to make a positive contribution to the world.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-9|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||635 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||124 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||2 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Middle and Upper School boys are required to wear collared shirts. Shorts may be worn during fall and spring trimesters.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Pamela J. Safford|
|Admissions Associate||Cathy Schinella|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Paddle Tennis, Soccer, Softball, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Field Hockey,
Football, Ice Hockey,
Lacrosse, Paddle Tennis,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Cake Boss, Community Service, Computer Building Club, Debate Club, Ecological Task Force Club, Glee Club, Guitar Club, Happy Feet Dance Club, Harry Potter Club, Movie Making, Photography 101, Ping Pong Club, Robocode Club, T-shirt Design Club, Taste Around the World, chess Club Cake Boss, Debate Club, Glee Club, Guitar Club, Movie Making, Ping Pong Club, Robocode Club, chess Club, Community Service,
Computer Building Club,
Ecological Task Force Club,
Happy Feet Dance Club,
Harry Potter Club,
T-shirt Design Club,
Taste Around the World,
- New Canaan Country School is an independent day school for students in pre-Kindergarten through Grade 9. Founded in 1916, the school offers a strong academic program, balanced with arts and athletics, in an environment that fosters learning by doing, and develops higher-level critical thinking skills along the continuum of developmental stages.
- 1. Extraordinary Teachers Seasoned professionals and apprentices, men and women, diverse in all respects, the Country School faculty is our most important asset. Over 65% have advanced degrees. Weekly training on and off campus ensures that our teachers are lifelong learners and inspire children to be the same.
- 2. Excellence in Every Classroom Our students will attend the most demanding secondary public and private schools in the country. Across the continuum, from Beginners through grade nine, we challenge children to learn core academic skills and concepts, to express themselves in all art forms, and to push themselves on the playing fields.
- 3. Respect for Childhood Childhood is a vital but fleeting period in life. We design all of our curriculum and activities so that they are just right for each age group. Children learn differently as they mature: we want them to fully appreciate what it means to be three, six, ten, or fourteen.
- 4. Learning from Experience Children learn best by doing: discussing, debating, asking questions, working in teams, taking risks, experiencing the natural world, and interacting in the community. For 93 years, we have helped children become confident by expecting them to actively participate in the learning process.
- 5. Preparation for the World to Come The 21st century world in which our children will live and lead is increasingly diverse in terms of class, religion, race, gender, and orientation. Our curriculum and the make-up of our community ensure that children learn how to navigate a multicultural world with curiosity and respect.
- 6. Technology Tools for Today Every day students here use technology to learn critical thinking skills, creativity, and collaboration. Videoconferencing with students in the Middle East, using web-based tools for collaboration, researching a science topic, or creating art; technology is a tool that helps children to learn about themselves and the world.
- 7. A Community of Good Character Beginning in the earliest grades, we emphasize rights and responsibilities in our school community. We value high standards of academic and personal behavior, and accountability for one's actions. Parents are vital partners in the school's success, older and younger students work together, and academic buildings are designed to foster community.
- 8. Compassion in Action Among the many lessons our students learn are how to be kind and compassionate. We create a safe climate with mutual respect between teachers and students, teaching the will and skills to solve conflicts and a commitment to social justice. Daily campus jobs and regular service projects put theory into action.
- 9. A 75-acre Classroom Our expansive campus is an ideal classroom for our 649 students, with multiple school buildings, gyms, playing fields, a woodshop, and 30 acres of woods and trails. Every day we teach independence and care for nature in a safe, beautiful setting.
- 10. A "Green School" Leader Country School is a leader among private and public schools in its commitment to sustainability. In the curriculum, service projects, campus operations, energy use, building construction, and food programs, we model environmental responsibility for families and the community.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
StamfordGrades: PK-12 | 664 students
1450 Newfield Ave
Stamford, CT 06905
DarienGrades: PK-6 | 188 students
90 Pear Tree Point Rd
Darien, CT 06820
New CanaanGrades: 5-12 | 550 students
377 North Wilton Road
New Canaan, CT 06840
WiltonGrades: PK-8 | 238 students
34 Whipple Rd
Wilton, CT 06897
Greens FarmsGrades: PK-12 | 657 students
35 Beachside Avenue
Greens Farms, CT 06838
My kids love it! I went there when I was young I loved it as well. Teachers are fun and great smart it helps you learn things fast but they teach you step by step the food at the cafeteria is freehand delicious there is a Halloween parade in October where all the kids dress up in there costumes and march in a parade around the whole campus . Theres Ice skating in the winter because there is a ice skating rink right across the street and after hot chocolate and donuts best school ever more fun stuff lots of sports fun LOVE IT YO YO MAN
- Posted by Parent - asimm
NCCS is a great school for all ages. My sibling have all gone their and so have I. My kids currently go there also.
- Posted by Parent - klmsp