New Canaan Country School
- Top Ranked CT School
- Grades: Nursery/Preschool-9
- Enrollment: 570 students
- Acceptance rate: 68%
- Average class size: 16 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
Middle and Upper School boys are required to wear collared shirts. Shorts may be worn during fall and spring trimesters.
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- New Canaan Country School is an independent day school for students in pre-Kindergarten through Grade 9. Founded in 1916, the school offers a strong academic program, balanced with arts and athletics, in an environment that fosters learning by doing, and develops higher-level critical thinking skills along the continuum of developmental stages.
- 1. Extraordinary Teachers Seasoned professionals and apprentices, men and women, diverse in all respects, the Country School faculty is our most important asset. Over 65% have advanced degrees. Weekly training on and off campus ensures that our teachers are lifelong learners and inspire children to be the same.
- 2. Excellence in Every Classroom Our students will attend the most demanding secondary public and private schools in the country. Across the continuum, from Beginners through grade nine, we challenge children to learn core academic skills and concepts, to express themselves in all art forms, and to push themselves on the playing fields.
- 3. Respect for Childhood Childhood is a vital but fleeting period in life. We design all of our curriculum and activities so that they are just right for each age group. Children learn differently as they mature: we want them to fully appreciate what it means to be three, six, ten, or fourteen.
- 4. Learning from Experience Children learn best by doing: discussing, debating, asking questions, working in teams, taking risks, experiencing the natural world, and interacting in the community. For 93 years, we have helped children become confident by expecting them to actively participate in the learning process.
- 5. Preparation for the World to Come The 21st century world in which our children will live and lead is increasingly diverse in terms of class, religion, race, gender, and orientation. Our curriculum and the make-up of our community ensure that children learn how to navigate a multicultural world with curiosity and respect.
- 6. Technology Tools for Today Every day students here use technology to learn critical thinking skills, creativity, and collaboration. Videoconferencing with students in the Middle East, using web-based tools for collaboration, researching a science topic, or creating art; technology is a tool that helps children to learn about themselves and the world.
- 7. A Community of Good Character Beginning in the earliest grades, we emphasize rights and responsibilities in our school community. We value high standards of academic and personal behavior, and accountability for one's actions. Parents are vital partners in the school's success, older and younger students work together, and academic buildings are designed to foster community.
- 8. Compassion in Action Among the many lessons our students learn are how to be kind and compassionate. We create a safe climate with mutual respect between teachers and students, teaching the will and skills to solve conflicts and a commitment to social justice. Daily campus jobs and regular service projects put theory into action.
- 9. A 75-acre Classroom Our expansive campus is an ideal classroom for our 649 students, with multiple school buildings, gyms, playing fields, a woodshop, and 30 acres of woods and trails. Every day we teach independence and care for nature in a safe, beautiful setting.
- 10. A "Green School" Leader Country School is a leader among private and public schools in its commitment to sustainability. In the curriculum, service projects, campus operations, energy use, building construction, and food programs, we model environmental responsibility for families and the community.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the acceptance rate of New Canaan Country School?
The acceptance rate of New Canaan Country School is 68%, which is equal to the national average of 68%.
What sports does New Canaan Country School offer?
New Canaan Country School offers 13 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Flag Football, Football, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Paddle Tennis, Soccer, Softball, Squash and Volleyball.
What is New Canaan Country School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for New Canaan Country School?
The application deadline for New Canaan Country School is Jan. 15 / rolling (applications are due on Jan. 15 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Endorse New Canaan Country School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards