The Southport School
- The Southport School is dedicated to creating an environment for students in kindergarten through 8th grade with language-based learning differences, like dyslexia, and ADHD, that recognizes individual strengths, promotes independent thinking, develops self-esteem and self-advocacy, and supports a successful transition for continued academic achievement.
- Our whole-child approach reawakens students' love of learning, resiliency, and sense of possibilities.
- And when we reach and teach the student, we often find the experience transforms the whole family.
- Our vision is a world where people with language-based learning differences and ADHD are embraced for their strength and potential. .
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Language-based learning differences, ADHD|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$3,300|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||110 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 25%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$58,500|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Samantha Berg|
|Endowment Size||$5.5 million|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, SoftballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Soccer,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
Art Club, World Music
We are here to change the conversation about LD/ADHD education. Our students are bright, creative, and unique learners who deserve an environment in which to thrive, not just survive.
Although all of our students navigate the same academic day, each of our students is enrolled in classes based on learning strengths and areas where more support is needed. We offer a challenging, hands-on curriculum that reawakens a love of learning, while embracing and celebrating each student's unique strengths and learning pathways.
- An intense focus on language-arts - depending on age and ability, our students receive up to 152 minutes per day of language-based instruction in tutorial, literature, and writing classes
- Our entire faculty is trained in Orton-Gillingham (and mentored by a full-time AOGPE Fellow on staff), the best evidence-based approach for remediating students with language-based learning differences, like dyslexia
- Likewise, each teacher and administrator is trained in Lindamood Bell`s Visualizing and Verbalizing method, an internationally acclaimed program for language comprehension Each student is programmed according to ability with respect to age, providing the capacity to challenge each one in areas of strength while remediating areas of difficulty
- Language-based instruction across the curriculum, including a Language Clinician who works within the academic classes, maximizing the effectiveness of our program
- A proprietary research and evidence-based Executive Function coaching model woven throughout the curriculum in conjunction with area neuropsychologist, Dr. Tim Heitzman
- Technology is embedded in a meaningful way throughout the program so that students can access content commensurate with their intelligence and develop strategies to maximize effort, creativity and productivity
- Each of our students is unique, but they are all struggling with similar challenges in school - reading, comprenhension, and/or executive functions - meaning we know how to teach all of our students effectively, with no pull-outs or modified programs, in an environment in which they feel like they belong
- We are passionate about what we do - we hold a firm belief in the potential that resides in all of our students, and a mindset that we need to reach each student and then deliver the best research and evidence-based instruction to help them unlock their potential
- School Location Miles Grades Students