St Mary's High School
5.00 (4 reviews)
- St. Mary's High School is a college preparatory, secondary school established in 1885, with a mission to educate students in the Catholic tradition to be responsible, moral, critical thinkers and leaders well-prepared for college and life.
- Our school offers varied programs and courses designed to meet the individual needs and interests of our student population. Core courses in English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Foreign Language and Theology are supplemented by a variety of electives.
- St. Mary's offes students courses at three levels - College Preperatory, Honors and Advanced Placement - to ensure a succesful transition to higher education while providing optimum opportunities for academic and co-curricular success.
- St. Mary's students are involved in a variety of clubs, service organizations, and the Arts. Club participation encourages students to meet fellow students and the opportunity to develop and hone their leadership skills.
- We also offer more than 18 sports opportunities and boast a 25-acre state-of-the-art sports complex, The Grace Center.
- For more detailed information about St. Mary's High School in Colorado Springs, CO, please visit our website at www.smhscs.org.
St Mary's High School places among the top 20% of private schools in Colorado for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Please contact school.|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||251 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||27 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||10 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Programming, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature, AP Spanish, AP United States History, Honors Anatomy/Physiology, Honors Physics, Honors Pre-Calculus|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No denim, collared shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / Mar. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$9,500|
|Tuition Notes||2017-18 Tuition; Annual Registration Fee $500|
|Admissions Director||Joe Trechter|
|Admissions Associate||Jane Cummings|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||13 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Ambassadors, Drama, Environmental Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), Forensics, Link Crew, National Hispanic Honors Society, National Honors Society, Spanish Club, Writer’s Group, Youth Philanthropy Club (YPC)|
Club or Organization:
Students For Life
Arts and Music Programs:
National Art Honor Society
- 100% of St. Mary's students who applied to college were accepted in 2017; 94% to a 4-year college and 4% to a two-year college;
- Class of 2017 (66 graduates) earned over $12.6M in college scholarships;
- Average AP score for 2017 was 3.66 on a 4.00 scale;
- 92% of student body participates in extra-curricular activities;
- Thousands of hours of student community outreach each year;
- Closed campus with a safe, secure environment
- 25-acre, state-of-the-art athletic complex
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Colorado Springs Grades: 1-12 | 238 students
2511 N Logan Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
(719)634-7024 1.7 1-12
- Colorado Springs Grades: PK-12 | 337 students
4050 Nonchalant Circle S
Colorado Springs, CO 80917
(719)574-0920 2.9 PK-12
- Colorado Springs Grades: 9-12 | 40 students
5590 N Nevada Ave
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
(719)473-5745 4.7 9-12
An excellent school! A great experience, as parents we looked at many options and decided to send our child to St. Mary's. A decision that has been a blessing. We live and own a business in Pueblo. The atmosphere at the school helps develop leaders and independent thinker's. The faculty and staff are superior and caring. Our oldest will graduate this year and has been accepted with Scholarship to a major Catholic University. Our youngest will follow in her sister's footsteps and start her freshman year at St. Mary's next year. We look forward with great anticipation to the next four years.
- Posted by Parent - Green631
Awesome school and outstanding combination of academic, athletic, and spiritual education. Small class sizes and personal instruction with caring teachers. There is a wonderful STEM program and a large percentage of students participate in multiple activities. I've had several children go through the school and they have been well-prepared for life. The school is strong in the Catholic faith and values. The school is weak in the performing arts but tries to support these areas with drama productions and school choir.
- Posted by Parent - tomre
Fantastic school! Small class sizes and individualized attention for every student. Our kids came from public school and have flourished in the close knit environment . Not only is SMHS excellent for academics but for becoming well rounded and self confident.
- Posted by Parent - marni
An excellent school and dollar for dollar the best private school value in the region, based on comparative college entrance scores (ACT, SAT), AP classes and scores, sports, merit scholarships, and college acceptance. In addition to being a terrific academic community, the school hold students accountable for their personal choices and develops a moral compass. I have two children attending and they have grown into independent thinkers because of their excellent faculty, and the expectations that have been put upon them to grow academically, physically, and morally.
- Posted by Parent - wkhog
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
If you are thinking about private school for your child in the aftermath of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, you should exercise even more due diligence than you usually would. More here.