Telluride Mountain School
Tel: (970) 728-1969
Telluride Mountain School Photo #2 - Telluride Mountain School is an innovative learning community where strong academics, enriching experiences, and meaningful relationships develop confident, curious students who passionately contribute to the world.
Telluride Mountain School Photo #3 - Experiential programs are the capstone experience for year-long classroom learning and real life immersion. Students gain practical knowledge of classroom curricula while traveling with peers to domestic and international destinations. Each year, trips are unique and foster enriching new learning experiences.
Telluride Mountain School Photo #4 - Through a traditional Montessori curriculum, children enjoy the magic of childhood with freedom to explore their innate curiosities in a safe and carefully prepared indoor and outdoor environment. Children are encouraged to be independent lifelong learners and problem-solvers.
Telluride Mountain School Photo #5 - Telluride Mountain School students thrive in child-centered multi-age classrooms. Students master the skills, habits, and attitudes necessary for succeeding in a challenging academic environment.
Telluride Mountain School Photo #6 - Telluride Mountain School offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, an academically challenging and balanced pre-university curriculum for students in their final two years of high school.
Telluride Mountain School Photo #7 - Outdoor Education programs emphasize teamwork and a connection with our unique local region. Students become competent, experienced and respectful outdoor enthusiasts, while developing leadership skills, resilience, perseverance, self-confidence and lifelong friendships.
Telluride Mountain School Photo #8 - In twice-weekly music classes, a learn by doing" approach encourages personal expression, true attentiveness and engagement through student choice. The program includes individual instruction, songwriting, ensemble playing, singing and understanding of tone production
- Telluride Mountain School is an independent school serving students preschool through high school and is an innovative learning community where strong academics, enriching experiences, and meaningful relationships develop confident, curious students who passionately contribute to the world.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Association of Colorado Independent Schools (ACIS)
International Montessori Council (IMC)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||113 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||17 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$12,000|
|Admissions Director||Tara Barnett|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Freestyle Skiing, Nordic Skiing, SnowboardingAlpine Skiing, Freestyle Skiing,|
Nordic Skiing, Snowboarding,
- Telluride Mountain School, accredited by the Association of Colorado Independent Schools, was founded to provide a challenging academic program that combines college preparation with outdoor education and community service. From a starting enrollment of 6 in 1998, the school today serves over 120 day boys and girls in Preschool to Grade 12. The values-based curriculum is designed to develop well-rounded young citizens of a global society. The program begins with a Montessori preschool, phasing into a more traditional approach for the upper grades. The core curriculum centers on reading/writing and language arts, math, science and social studies, with technology used throughout the disciplines. Spanish, music, visual and dramatic arts, and physical education are also integral to the curriculum. The International Baccalaureate Diploma program is offered for juniors and seniors. A Winter Sports Program capitalizes on the school's setting in prime ski country and includes instruction for all ability and interest levels, from the recreational skier/snowboarder to the aspiring Olympic competitor. Experiential learning trips and community service expand learning beyond the classroom locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Telluride Grades: PK-3 | 319 students
447 W. Columbia Ave
Telluride, CO 81435
(970) 728-6615 3.5 PK-3
- Montrose Grades: PK-8 | 144 students
2705 Sunnyside Rd
Montrose, CO 81401
(970) 249-1094 36.5 PK-8
- Montrose Grades: PK-8 | 103 students
67051 Sunnyside Rd
Montrose, CO 81401
(970) 249-2996 36.5 PK-8
- Montrose Grades: 3-9 | 22 students
14488 6175 Rd
Montrose, CO 81403
(970) 249-5500 37.1 3-9
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.