The Catherine Cook School
- The Catherine Cook School is a Chicago independent preparatory school serving preschool through eighth grade.
- We are an inclusive learning community dedicated to inspiring personal excellence and educating children for life.
- Since 1975, our committed administrators and teachers have worked closely with each student to identify and foster strengths, ignite imagination, encourage discovery and teach children how to learn and think.
- Our academic programs focus on age-appropriate experiential learning and independent thinking.
- Using a collaborative approach, students, parents, teachers and administrators enrich the individual attention each child receives.
- We also pursue an agenda of social responsibility by emphasizing the importance of service learning and issues of equity and justice.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||573 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||47 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||1/2 Day PS, JK: $19,500, Full Day PS, JK: $23,500, SK-4: $23,500, 5-8: $24,700; Need based Financial Aid available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Jill Due|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Flag Football, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Flag Football,|
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||65 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Amazing Adventures, Animals & Friends A, Animals & Friends B, Art Around the World, Be an Artist, Beginning Fencing, Beginning Spanish, Carpentry for Kids, Chess with Iron Rooks, CircEsteem, Comic Book, Crafty Kids, Creative Builders, Creative Collage Art, Dance Explosion, Dinosaurs, Doll House, Enchanted Magical Forest, Friendship Club, Frozen Adventure, Game Show, Girl Power Hour, Hand Sewn Accessories, Hip Hop, Iron Chef 1, Iron Chef 2, Make Your Mark!, Minecraft, Monochromatic Art, Outer Space Adventures, Pre-Engineering using LEGO ®, Quirky Quilts, Robots, Scratch 1, Scratch 2, Slimy Science, Super Hero Training, Super Soccer Stars, Tumble & Rock, Yoga 1, Yoga 2, Young Architects|
Club or Organization:
and Sequential Art, Bonjour Club, Chess Club, Comics, Computer Club, Creative Writing Club, Drama Club, Future Problem Solvers, Graphic Novels, Junior Speakers Club, Math Homework Help, Math Olympiad, MS Tech Apprentice, Robotics Club, Salsa Club, Sewing Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Concert Band (Advanced), Concert Band (Beginning), Concert Band (Intermediate), Private music lessons (piano, guitar, drums, and violin)
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Karate 1, Karate 2, Karate 3
- The Catherine Cook School strives to prepare students to participate in the discoveries and challenges of the future with the foundations of wisdom and personal discipline. Our school is dedicated to cultivating the unique nature and potential of each student and is committed to building a school community enhanced by racial, cultural, and socio-economic diversity. We provide a nurturing and caring environment enhanced by a low teacher-student ratio. We are interested in a personal learning approach that incorporates individual attention, hands-on experiential learning, and a challenging and well-rounded curriculum. In the process of inspiring and educating children for life, we believe that students must learn how to think, to solve problems, to capitalize on strengths, to make good decisions, and to become effective communicators. In preparing students to live comfortably in an ever-changing and diverse society, we wish to move students beyond tolerating people different from themselves to engaging all people as valuable members of a global society. We make every effort to ensure the academic program we offer is of the highest quality. We go to great lengths to hire the best teachers, adopt the best curricula, to be open to change, and to hold our school to the highest academic standards. A true willingness to listen and an engagement in professional reflection are indispensable components of our commitment to continual improvement, relevance, and accountability.
- People that viewed The Catherine Cook School also viewed these schools: The Latin School Of Chicago, Chicago Grammar School, British International School of Chicago, Lincoln Park, Frances Xavier Warde School and Univ Of Chicago Lab School.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- ChicagoGrades: PK-12 | 1130 students
59 W North Blvd
Chicago, IL 60610
- ChicagoGrades: PK-8 | 80 students
900 N Franklin St Ste 104
Chicago, IL 60610
- ChicagoGrades: NS-5 | 521 students
814 W. Eastman Street
Chicago, IL 60642
- ChicagoGrades: PK-8 | 944 students
751 N State St
Chicago, IL 60654
- ChicagoGrades: NS-12 | 1771 students
1362 E 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
January 16, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 16, 2018
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.