The Country School
5.00 (2 reviews)
- At The Country School, we are committed to creating an environment which is both academically challenging and responsive to the social and emotional needs of growing children.
- Encouraging close relationships among students and teachers and cooperation between home and school, we foster a feeling of family.
- The school community strives to nurture each child, valuing his or her unique gifts in an atmosphere of mutual respect.
- The traditional disciplines of reading, writing, mathematics, science, social studies, and foreign language form the core of our academic program.
- Because we seek to educate the whole child, the school is also committed to a vital arts program, strong offerings in physical education, and challenging opportunities for individual growth.
- Our teaching is spirited and promotes active learning. We provide experiences which are sensitive to different learning styles and stages of development.
- We guide students to discover their own strengths and develop confidence in their abilities to learn.
- Our program is rich and flexible, offering many pathways to success.
- We recognize our responsibility to prepare students to meet not just academic challenges, but personal and ethical ones as well.
- Our faculty provides leadership for character development, guiding students toward self-reliance.
- We encourage our students to look beyond themselves, to work cooperatively with others, and to serve their communities and the larger world.
- We expect much of our students, because we believe they have much to give.
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||242 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Claire Kinkade|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, TennisBaseball, Basketball,|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- MiddlefieldGrades: NS-8 | 157 students
115 Laurel Brook Road
Middlefield, CT 06455
- MadisonGrades: 7-12 | 110 students
175 Copse Rd
Madison, CT 06443
- CheshireGrades: 9-12 | 360 students
10 Main St
Cheshire, CT 06410
- New HavenGrades: 7-12 | 710 students
986 Forest Road
New Haven, CT 06515
- BridgeportGrades: K-8 | 82 students
729 Union Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06607
The Country School is an inspired school! Both my husband and I attended public schools, but after visiting the public schools in our town and then The Country School, there was no comparison whatsoever. This school teaches children to love learning, not to take standardized tests. The STEAM program focuses on some of the most critical learning areas - science, technology, engineering, arts and math. There is nothing like their outdoor education program in the state - it helped my kids build confidence and make lifelong friends - surprising even themselves with what they could do! The campus is beautiful and more important, safely tucked away in the Madison, CT suburbs. Thank you Country School, for helping me raise two beautiful, intelligent, young adults....
- Posted by Parent - bwood
All four of my children graduated from The Country School. They have gone on to an array of great secondary schools, colleges, and now even graduate school, but I think each of them looks back on the early years at The Country School as a golden time. For all four of my children, school was something they looked forward to - every day. They truly grew to love learning, because Country School teachers make learning fun, even when asking students to stretch and take on new challenges. They also discovered art, athletics, drama, music, foreign language, writing, public speaking, and community service. The Country School is a small school set on 23 rural acres in Connecticut, but it opened up the world to my children. As a mom, I feel incredibly lucky that they got to grow up in a place that truly values each individual, that makes young people think about their place in and responsibility to the larger world, and that inspires children to reach their highest, in school and in life.
- Posted by Parent - eliza
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.