- At The Country School, we are committed to creating an environment which is both academically challenging and responsive to the social and emotional needs of growing children.
- Encouraging close relationships among students and teachers and cooperation between home and school, we foster a feeling of family.
- The school community strives to nurture each child, valuing his or her unique gifts in an atmosphere of mutual respect.
- The traditional disciplines of reading, writing, mathematics, science, social studies, and foreign language form the core of our academic program.
- Because we seek to educate the whole child, the school is also committed to a vital arts program, strong offerings in physical education, and challenging opportunities for individual growth.
- Our teaching is spirited and promotes active learning. We provide experiences which are sensitive to different learning styles and stages of development.
- We guide students to discover their own strengths and develop confidence in their abilities to learn.
- Our program is rich and flexible, offering many pathways to success.
- We recognize our responsibility to prepare students to meet not just academic challenges, but personal and ethical ones as well.
- Our faculty provides leadership for character development, guiding students toward self-reliance.
- We encourage our students to look beyond themselves, to work cooperatively with others, and to serve their communities and the larger world.
- We expect much of our students, because we believe they have much to give.
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||242 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||15 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Claire Kinkade|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, TennisBaseball, Basketball,
- School Location Miles Grades Students
MiddlefieldGrades: NS-8 | 157 students
115 Laurel Brook Road
Middlefield, CT 06455
BridgeportGrades: K-8 | 82 students
729 Union Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06607
MadisonGrades: NS-K | 21 students
213 Green Hill Road
Madison, CT 06443
New HavenGrades: K-9 | 484 students
50 Loomis Place
New Haven, CT 06511
BerlinGrades: K-9 | 61 students
166 Lincoln Street
Berlin, CT 06037
The Country School is an inspired school! Both my husband and I attended public schools, but after visiting the public schools in our town and then The Country School, there was no comparison whatsoever. This school teaches children to love learning, not to take standardized tests. The STEAM program focuses on some of the most critical learning areas - science, technology, engineering, arts and math. There is nothing like their outdoor education program in the state - it helped my kids build confidence and make lifelong friends - surprising even themselves with what they could do! The campus is beautiful and more important, safely tucked away in the Madison, CT suburbs. Thank you Country School, for helping me raise two beautiful, intelligent, young adults....
- Posted by Parent - bwood
All four of my children graduated from The Country School. They have gone on to an array of great secondary schools, colleges, and now even graduate school, but I think each of them looks back on the early years at The Country School as a golden time. For all four of my children, school was something they looked forward to - every day. They truly grew to love learning, because Country School teachers make learning fun, even when asking students to stretch and take on new challenges. They also discovered art, athletics, drama, music, foreign language, writing, public speaking, and community service. The Country School is a small school set on 23 rural acres in Connecticut, but it opened up the world to my children. As a mom, I feel incredibly lucky that they got to grow up in a place that truly values each individual, that makes young people think about their place in and responsibility to the larger world, and that inspires children to reach their highest, in school and in life.
- Posted by Parent - eliza
May 26, 2017
When you apply for a position at a private school, you need to use a slightly different approach than you would use if you were applying for a sales job somewhere.
May 25, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 25, 2017
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.