The Country School
The Country School honors our students` creativity, sense of wonder, and intellectual curiosity.
Our integrated curriculum aligns rigorous academics with a commitment to character and leadership development.
We nurture every student`s unique role in the community, empowering each to serve the common good.
Graduates of The Country School face the future with confidence and an education that lasts a lifetime.
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Students: 212 students
- Yearly Tuition: $30,940
- Acceptance rate: 78%
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 28%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Early Childhood PreSchool and PreK (MWF, 8:15 a.m.-12:30 p.m.): $8,190 PreSchool and PreK (MWF, 8:15 a.m.-3 p.m.): $10,330 PreSchool and PreK (5 days, 8:15 a.m.-12:30 p.m.): $13,650 PreSchool and PreK (5 days, 8:15 a.m.-3 p.m.): $17,200Primary Kindergarten: $24,200 Grades 1-3: $25,905Intermediate Grade 4: $27,100 Grade 5: $28,675Middle School Grades 6-8: $30,940
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Total Sports Offered
- At The Country School, we are committed to creating an environment which is both academically challenging and responsive to the social and emotional needs of growing children.
- Encouraging close relationships among students and teachers and cooperation between home and school, we foster a feeling of family.
- The school community strives to nurture each child, valuing his or her unique gifts in an atmosphere of mutual respect.
- The traditional disciplines of reading, writing, mathematics, science, social studies, and foreign language form the core of our academic program.
- Because we seek to educate the whole child, the school is also committed to a vital arts program, strong offerings in physical education, and challenging opportunities for individual growth.
- Our teaching is spirited and promotes active learning.
- We provide experiences which are sensitive to different learning styles and stages of development.
- We guide students to discover their own strengths and develop confidence in their abilities to learn.
- Our program is rich and flexible, offering many pathways to success.
- We recognize our responsibility to prepare students to meet not just academic challenges, but personal and ethical ones as well.
- Our faculty provides leadership for character development, guiding students toward self-reliance.
- We encourage our students to look beyond themselves, to work cooperatively with others, and to serve their communities and the larger world.
- We expect much of our students, because we believe they have much to give.
Simply outstanding. This gem of a school has managed to attract and retain educators who are among the most impressive I`ve come across, at any level. The campus is the kind of place where fun consorts with rigor: academic standards are as high as they can be, and there is at the same time an emphasis on developing what the head of school sometimes calls "relatively free-range children." Our second-grader`s class, learning about colonial America, has been studying in the classroom and also building shelters out of tree limbs scavenged in the woods behind the playing fields. The school puts special emphasis on self-reliance, leadership, kindness, poetry, and public speaking. It has a strong STEM program, but calls it STEAM instead, recognizing that there is art in engineering. It`s a nice mix.
Our family could not be happier with The Country School. After spending elementary school in our local public school, we were looking for a middle school that struck a balance between nurturing and challenging for these tender and crucial years for our twin girls. At The Country School we have found a place that has an incredible teaching staff, a rigorous academic life, but one that is balanced with outdoor time, team building and incredible opportunities that build a strong foundation for secondary school and beyond. A+ for this little school that could - we are lucky to be a part of it!
A Country School education provides a beautiful balance between rigorous academics and upholding the sense of wonder and creativity in the child. The Country School (TCS) embraces the whole child, allowing him to her to grow and blossom in a safe, healthy, and nurturing environment. The leadership, public speaking, and outdoor education programs foster an authentic sense of self-confidence within the classrooms and beyond. A Country School education is truly an education that lasts a lifetime!
My children and I love TCS! The education and community can't be beat. I toured many schools and nothing compares to the small class size and individual attention that your child gets at TCS. We are staying all the way through middle school.
All four of my children graduated from The Country School. They have gone on to an array of great secondary schools, colleges, and now even graduate school, but I think each of them looks back on the early years at The Country School as a golden time. For all four of my children, school was something they looked forward to - every day. They truly grew to love learning, because Country School teachers make learning fun, even when asking students to stretch and take on new challenges. They also discovered art, athletics, drama, music, foreign language, writing, public speaking, and community service. The Country School is a small school set on 23 rural acres in Connecticut, but it opened up the world to my children. As a mom, I feel incredibly lucky that they got to grow up in a place that truly values each individual, that makes young people think about their place in and responsibility to the larger world, and that inspires children to reach their highest, in school and in life.
The Country School is an inspired school! Both my husband and I attended public schools, but after visiting the public schools in our town and then The Country School, there was no comparison whatsoever. This school teaches children to love learning, not to take standardized tests. The STEAM program focuses on some of the most critical learning areas - science, technology, engineering, arts and math. There is nothing like their outdoor education program in the state - it helped my kids build confidence and make lifelong friends - surprising even themselves with what they could do! The campus is beautiful and more important, safely tucked away in the Madison, CT suburbs. Thank you Country School, for helping me raise two beautiful, intelligent, young adults....
Endorse The Country School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
5 Ways To Protect Your Child From Bullying
Bullying lurks everywhere. Learn the warning signs and how to protect your child.
Questions! Questions! Questions!
If you are beginning to think about sending your child to private school, you probably have a lot of questions. Here are some answers to your more common questions.
Marketing Your School: Welcoming New Students
Why is welcoming students so important? Because it makes new students and their families feel that they are part of the school community from Day 1. More about this valuable marketing tool here.