Cheshire Academy Photo #2 - Our 104 acre (0.42 sq km) campus is in the center of the quiet, beautiful Town of Cheshire, CT. Though just a two hour drive to both Boston and New York, Cheshire is a quiet small town where students are in walking distance of a few area shops and cafes.
Cheshire Academy Photo #3 - Bowden Hall, completed in 1796, is the oldest schoolhouse in continuous use in the state of Connecticut. Cheshire Academy was founded in 1794 and is the 10th oldest boarding school in the US.
Cheshire Academy Photo #4 - Our academic process begins with what students know and want to know, and develops active learners who reflect on their growth and the implications of their learning. Cheshire Academy students grow increasingly capable of independently observing, questioning, explaining, interpreting, and analyzing the world.
Cheshire Academy Photo #5 - We offer a variety of athletic programs each season. The Academy teaches student-athletes the skills and knowledge necessary to learn the sport while also producing championship-winning teams.
Cheshire Academy Photo #6 - Cheshire Academy is home to students from over 30 different countries who chose the Academy because of our reputation as one of the best private schools in the United States. The tradition of enrolling international students at Cheshire Academy dates back to 1850, making this school among the first to enroll students from other countries.
Cheshire Academy Photo #7 - The Cheshire Academy experience is full and active; living and learning takes place not only in the classroom, but also in the art studios, dormitories, dining commons, on the athletic fields, and even on the footpaths that wind around campus. The Academy is a tight-knit and dynamic environment that offers a community rich in diversity.
Cheshire Academy Photo #8 - Many students come to Cheshire Academy knowing they love the arts; others discover their passion while attending. Students planning to pursue Art & Design at the university level can take advantage of our year-long Art Major Program.
Cheshire Academy Photo #9 - CA believes all students can benefit from music education, from beginners to students planning a career in music. Students of music at CA develop tenacity, patience, focus, and confidence, and also have many opportunities to display leadership in several student-led ensembles. Advanced students can take private lessons, audition for all-state festivals, and study AP Music Theory and IB Music.
- Founded in 1794, Cheshire Academy is a boarding and day school for students in grades 9-12 plus PostGraduate (PG).
- The historic 104-acre (0.42 sq km) campus is nestled in the bucolic but central town of Cheshire, CT, just two hours drive from both Boston and New York.
- With approximately 344 students from 19 states and 31 countries, the Academy takes a exible and tailored approach, allowing students to combine a variety of academic and extracurricular oerings optimal to their individual needs, strengths, and interests.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Institute for Independent Education|
National Independent Private Schools Association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||344 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||53 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus I-AB, AP Music Theory, AP Psychology, AP Statistics, Arts Major Program, HL1/HL2, IB Biology SL & HL1/HL2, IB Chemistry SL1/SL2 & HL1/HL2, IB Computer Science SL1/SL2, IB Economics SL1/SL2, IB English Language & Literature HL1/2 & SL1/2, IB English Literature HL1/2 & SL1/2, IB Environmental Systems and Society SL, IB French ab Initio 1/ab Initio 2, IB French SL1/SL2 & HL1/HL2, IB History of the Americas SL1/SL2 & HL1/HL2, IB Lit & Performance SL1/SL2, IB Mandarin ab Initio 1/ab Initio 2, IB Mandarin SL1/SL2, IB Math SL2/HL2, IB Math Studies SL2, IB Mathematics: Analysis and Approach SL1, IB Mathematics: Applications and Interpretation SL1, IB Music SL1/SL2 & HL1/HL2, IB Physics SL1/SL2 & HL1/HL2, IB Spanish SL1/SL2 & HL1/HL2, IB Sports/Exercise/Health Science SL, IB Theater SL1/SL2, IB Theory of Knowledge Y1/Y2, IB Visual Arts SL1/SL2 & HL1/HL2|
|Average SAT score||1200|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Mon, Tue, Thur: Academic Dress; Wed CA Spirit Day; Friday: Formal Dress)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||7 Day Boarding: $63,600 5 Day Boarding: $55,375 Day: $42,320|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$23,971|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Sara Lynn Leavenworth|
|Admissions Associate||Devin Worthington|
|Endowment Size||$16.3 million|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Basketball, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Football,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||30 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Admission Ambassadors (Tour Guides), Art Club, Candy Club, Chess Club, Community Service, Digital Photography Club, Eco-Leaders, Garden Club, Ich Dien Society, International Student Society, Literary Magazine, Marketing & Communication Interns, Model UN, National Honor Society, New England Math League, Peer Counselors, School Newspaper, Science Olympiad, The Gay/Straight Alliance, Yearbook, Young Entrepreneurs Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Major Program, Dance, Drama, Jazz Ensemble/Rock Band, Piano Master Class, String Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness, Snowsports Club, Yoga
- Founded in 1794, Cheshire Academy is a college preparatory boarding and day school for students in grades 9-PG. The historic 104-acre campus is nestled in the bucolic but central town of Cheshire, CT, just two hours from both Boston and New York.
- With approximately 344 students from 19 states and 31 countries, the Academy takes a flexible and tailored approach, allowing students to combine a variety of academic and extracurricular offerings optimal to their individual needs, strengths, and interests.For example, many students choose to stretch their intellectual boundaries by taking one of 45 advanced International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme courses. This internationally respected program offers a global perspective, challenging students to be independent, critical thinkers concerned and involved with the world around them.
- With just over 20 interscholastic athletic teams, as well as non-competitive offerings and many performing and visual arts options, there`s a passion to be uncovered for all students.
- The Academy also offers a unique Art Major program for those who plan to continue on to an arts or design program at the university level.
- Cheshire Academy recognizes that all students learn differently. Through our optional Roxbury Academic Support Program, our trained learning specialists create proactive, independent, competent learners by fostering tools and strategies to meet the rigors of a college preparatory environment and beyond. This proven approach yields thriving students who take responsibility for their academic success.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Wallingford Grades: 9-12 | 846 students
333 Christian Street
Wallingford, CT 06492
(203)697-2239 5.5 9-12
- Waterbury Grades: PK-12 | 185 students
565 Chase Parkway
Waterbury, CT 06708
(203)236-9560 9.2 PK-12
- Waterbury Grades: 9-12 | 698 students
587 Oronoke Rd
Waterbury, CT 06708
(203)757-9248 8.8 9-12
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.