Hamden Hall Country Day School
- Hamden Hall County Day School, an independent, college preparatory, coeducational PreSchool through Grade 12 day school, fosters the individual growth of every student. We challenge students to develop a strong sense of personal integrity, social responsibility, and a global perspective, while preparing them for demanding academic programs at the collegiate level.
- Hamden Hall Country Day School continues to embrace the spirit of family that has defined the sampus since its opening days in 1912 as the nation's fourth country day school.
- The Hamden Hall Experience starts with academic excellence as enhanced by our dynamic learning environment and fostered by our esteemed faculty. Our core values - excellence, support, participation, accountability, and respect - are interwoven in that overarching experience and are integral to the academic growth and success of every student.
Hamden Hall Country Day School places among the top 20% of private schools in Connecticut for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||574 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 25%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||88 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||30 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language, AP French Literature, AP Latin, AP Latin Literature, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Physics, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Spanish Literature & Culture, AP Statistics, AP U.S. Government & Politics, AP United States History, AP World History, Global Online Academy, Linear Algebra, Multivariable Calculus|
|Average SAT score||1330|
|Average ACT score||30|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,490|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $18,200 in PS to $42,990 in Upper School|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Janet Izzo|
|Admissions Associate||Keith Kaliszewski|
|Total Sports Offered||19 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||37 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
A Capella, Admissions Ambassadors, Amnesty International, Art Club, Biology Olympiad, Board Games Club, Book Club, Chess Club, Chorus Ensemble, Computer Science Club, Conservation Club, Debate Team, Economics, FACES Literary Magazine, Fiber Arts/DIY, GSA, Innovation & Design, Interact Club (Community Service), Investment Club, Jazz Ensemble, Linguistics Olympiad, Math Team, Model U.N., Multicultural Students Interests, Physics Bowl, Production Crew, Puzzle Team, Robotics Club, Science, Student Government, Student Musicians Union, Student Newspaper, Swarm: School Spirit, Table Tennis Club, Thespians/Drama Club, Woodworking Club, Yearbook
- THE SCHOOL
- A college preparatory independent day school.
- Enrollment of more than 575 boys and girls.
- PreSchool through Grade 12 from 50 communities and six foreign countries.
- Founded in 1912 by Dr. John Cushing.
- Accredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
- THE FACULTY
- Ninty-eight full- and part-time teachers.
- Three quarters of the faculty hold advanced degrees.
- Student/faculty ratio: 6 to 1.
- Average class size: 12.
- THE STUDENTS
- Three-quarters of graduating seniors historically admitted tocolleges ranked as "most competitive" or "highly competitive."
- Historically, 15 percent of our seniors receive recognition from the National Merit Scholarship Program.
- In our 2018-2019 sophomore, junior, and senior classes, 49 students earned AP Scholar Recognition,including 30 Scholars and Scholars with Honorand 19 Scholars with Distinction.Three seniors were also recognized asNational AP Scholars and two earned AP International Diplomas.
- Ten percent of our graduating class historically competes at the collegiate Division I and Division III levels.
- SPECIAL PROGRAMS AND RESOURCES
- Nearly 30 Advanced Placement and post-AP academic courses oered.
- Over 50 varsity and sub-varsity oerings at the Middle and Upper School levels.
- Signature Programs include our Global Online Academy, EarlyChildhood Reading Program, Mystic Seaport Partnership, Science, Innovation & Design Program, Princeton Peer Leadership Program, Makerspace Design Lab, and Music and Theatre Programs.
- Grades 4-6 athletic teams.
- Robust performing and visual arts program that garners national attention.
- Broad selection of student clubs and activities, including numerous community service opportunities.
- Transportation covering a 40-mile radius.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cheshire Grades: 9-12 | 344 students
10 Main St
Cheshire, CT 06410
(203)439-7250 10.9 9-12
- Wallingford Grades: 9-12 | 850 students
333 Christian Street
Wallingford, CT 06492
(203)697-2338 9.6 9-12
- Waterbury Grades: PK-12 | 185 students
565 Chase Parkway
Waterbury, CT 06708
(203)236-9560 16.3 PK-12
Hamden Hall Country Day School offers rigorous academics and a plethora of opportunities for students at all levels in which to participate. More than that, Hamden Hall is truly a community that cares about the students and the people they become after graduation.
- Posted by Parent - Joe Miceli
The amount of diversity Hamden Hall cultures is irresistible. When I look around the courtyard, there are no two people that are exactly alike. At Hamden Hall, I feel a sense of comfort with both the students I am learning with, but more importantly the faculty and staff. Hamden Hall truly is ONE big community, which is why I encourage everyone to stop by, see our campus and meet some of our amazing students and faculty that create a wonderful Hamden Hall Experience.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Mitchell Swick '20