Hamden Hall Country Day School
- Hamden Hall County Day School, an independent, college preparatory, coeducational PreSchool through Grade 12 day school, fosters the individual growth of every student. We challenge students to develop a strong sense of personal integrity, social responsibility, and a global perspective, while preparing them for demanding academic programs at the collegiate level.
- Hamden Hall Country Day School continues to embrace the spirit of family that has defined the sampus since its opening days in 1912 as the nation's fourth country day school.
- The Hamden Hall Experience starts with academic excellence as enhanced by our dynamic learning environment and fostered by our esteemed faculty. Our core values - excellence, support, participation, accountability, and respect - are interwoven in that overarching experience and are integral to the academic growth and success of every student.
Hamden Hall Country Day School places among the top 20% of private schools in Connecticut for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||597 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 25%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||112 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||30 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language, AP French Literature, AP Latin, AP Latin Literature, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Physics, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Spanish Literature & Culture, AP Statistics, AP U.S. Government & Politics, AP United States History, AP World History, Global Online Academy, Linear Algebra, Multivariable Calculus|
|Average SAT score||1330|
|Average ACT score||30|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $18,700 in PS to $44,250 in Upper School|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Janet Izzo|
|Admissions Associate||Keith Kaliszewski|
|Total Sports Offered||19 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball, Water Polo, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Volleyball, Water Polo,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||42 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
A Capella, Admissions Ambassadors, Amnesty International, Art Club, Biology Olympiad, Board Games Club, Book Club, Chess Club, Chorus Ensemble, Computer Science Club, Conservation Club, Debate Team, Economics, FACES Literary Magazine, Fiber Arts/DIY, GSA, Innovation & Design, Interact Club (Community Service), Investment Club, Jazz Ensemble, Linguistics Olympiad, Math Team, Model U.N., Multicultural Students Interests, Physics Bowl, Production Crew, Puzzle Team, Robotics Club, Science, Student Government, Student Musicians Union, Student Newspaper, Swarm: School Spirit, Table Tennis Club, Thespians/Drama Club, Woodworking Club, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Health and Fitness Club, Outdoors Club, Running Club, Strength and Conditioning, Yoga
- THE SCHOOL
- A college preparatory independent day school.
- Enrollment of 600 boys and girls.
- PreSchool through Grade 12 from 50 communities and six foreign countries.
- Founded in 1912 by Dr. John Cushing.
- Accredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
- THE FACULTY
- 112 faculty members..
- 80 percent of the faculty hold advanced degrees.
- Student/faculty ratio: 6 to 1.
- Average class size: 12.
- THE STUDENTS
- Three-quarters of graduating seniors historically admitted tocolleges ranked as "most competitive" or "highly competitive."
- Historically, 15 percent of our seniors receive recognition from the National Merit Scholarship Program.
- In our 2019-2020 sophomore, junior, and senior classes, 59 students earned AP Scholar Recognition, including 30 Scholars with Distinction and 12 Scholars with Honor. Four seniors were also recognized as National AP Scholars.
- Twenty percent of the Class of 2020 is competing at the collegiate Division I and Division III levels. Click here to view the schools at which our students are playing.
- SPECIAL PROGRAMS AND RESOURCES
- Nearly 30 Advanced Placement and post-AP academic courses oFFered.
- Over 50 varsity and sub-varsity oerings at the Middle and Upper School levels.
- Signature Programs include our Global Online Academy, EarlyChildhood Reading Program, Mystic Seaport Partnership, Science, Innovation & Design Program, Princeton Peer Leadership Program, Makerspace Design Lab, and Music and Theatre Programs.
- After School Academy featuring Extended Day, Extended Courses, and Extended Activities during the after-school hours and non-school day coverage throughout the year and summer for students in Grades PreSchool through Grade 8.
- Extensive enrichment and recreational programs for all grade levels to complement a state-of-the-art athletic and recreation center.
- Grades 4-6 athletic teams.
- Robust performing and visual arts program that garners national attention.
- Broad selection of student clubs and activities, including numerous community service opportunities.
- Transportation covering a 40-mile radius.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cheshire Grades: 9-12 | 344 students
10 Main St
Cheshire, CT 06410
(203) 439-7250 10.9 9-12
- Wallingford Grades: 9-12 | 850 students
333 Christian Street
Wallingford, CT 06492
(203) 697-2338 9.6 9-12
- Waterbury Grades: PK-12 | 185 students
565 Chase Parkway
Waterbury, CT 06708
(203) 236-9560 16.3 PK-12
Great school with amazing academics that will surely prepare any student for the rigor of college academics. So many clubs and sports to choose from as well!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - class of 2021
Hamden Hall Country Day School offers rigorous academics and a plethora of opportunities for students at all levels in which to participate. More than that, Hamden Hall is truly a community that cares about the students and the people they become after graduation.
- Posted by Parent - Joe Miceli
The amount of diversity Hamden Hall cultures is irresistible. When I look around the courtyard, there are no two people that are exactly alike. At Hamden Hall, I feel a sense of comfort with both the students I am learning with, but more importantly the faculty and staff. Hamden Hall truly is ONE big community, which is why I encourage everyone to stop by, see our campus and meet some of our amazing students and faculty that create a wonderful Hamden Hall Experience.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Mitchell Swick '20