Choate Rosemary Hall
Choate Rosemary Hall Photo #2 - The Kohler Environmental Center, opened in 2012, is the first teaching, research, and residential environmental center in U.S. secondary education with a focus on the environment. The year-long signature Environmental Immersion Program is open to 14 upperclassmen.
Choate Rosemary Hall Photo #3 - What's your artistic passion? Music? Theater? Visual arts? Choate's got a program for you. Participate in the spring musical, student fringe festival, or the numerous singing and musical groups on campus. In addition, the Arts Concentration Program offers a program for students who are able to demonstrate a commitment to their own artistic development.
Choate Rosemary Hall Photo #4 - Held in November, Deerfield Day ends the fall sports season. Choate's athletic rivalry with Deerfield Academy is the root of this legendary weekend. There's a Friday night pep rally and bonfire and various sport team competitions throughout Saturday.
Choate Rosemary Hall Photo #5 - Created by Rosemary Hall students many years ago, Garden Party is one of the school's cherished traditions. A special dress pre-graduation event, senior girls invite a junior girl and a faculty member to pass along Rosemary traditions to the junior girls. Other traditions? The Last Hurrah, the Spring Musical, Physics Phlotilla, Lessons and Carols, Senior Dance Lessons and Deerfield Day to name a few.
Choate Rosemary Hall Photo #6 - Choate's team name/mascot is The Wild Boars. Choate is a member of the Founders League, Western New England Preparatory School Athletics Association and District IV of the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council. No other high school in the nation can claim three graduates simultaneously on an Olympic team in any sport. Angela Ruggiero '98, Julie Chu '01 and Hilary Knight '07 were all members of the 2010 U.S. Women's Ice Hockey team.
- A rigorous academic curriculum with an emphasis on character formation is at the core of our school's mission.
- Choate Rosemary Hall is a boarding and day secondary school of 864 talented students and 172 dedicated faculty from diverse backgrounds who genuinely enjoy living together and learning from each other.
- Above all, it is our sense of place that distinguishes us.
Choate Rosemary Hall places among the top 20% of private schools in Connecticut for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Institute for Independent Education|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||846 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||120 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||25 courses|
|Average SAT score||1420|
|Average ACT score||29|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 10|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$48,890|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$38,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Ray Diffley, III|
|Total Sports Offered||20 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Diving, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
Water Polo, Wrestling,
- Sample of notable school alumni:
- Adlai Stevenson '18 - former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations
- John F. Kennedy '35 - 35th President of the United States
- Edward Albee '46 - Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright
- Robert D. McCallum Jr. '64 - former U.S. Ambassador to Australia
- Glenn Close '65 - Emmy, Tony and Golden Globe Award-winning film and stage actress
- Victoria J. Nuland '79 - current U.S. State Department spokesperson, former U.S. Representative to NATO
- Paul Giamatti '85 - Emmy Award-winning broadway and film actor
- Angela Ruggiero '98 - four-time Women's Olympic Ice Hockey Champion
- Chris Denorfia '98 - center fielder for the San Diego Padres
- Josephine Pucci ’09, Hilary Knight '07 and Julie Chu ’01 - members of the 2012 U.S. Women's National Ice Hockey Team
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cheshire Grades: 9-12 | 362 students
10 Main St
Cheshire, CT 06410
(203)272-5396 5.5 9-12
- Lakeville Grades: 9-12 | 600 students
11 Interlaken Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
(860)435-3102 46.8 9-12
- Deerfield Grades: 9-12 | 648 students
7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
(413)774-1400 75.8 9-12
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
A parent and I chat about finding the best school for her daughter. While the parent may be fictitious, her questions are quite typical of the kind of questions and concerns parents have when thinking about sending their children to private school.
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.