The Taft School
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (860) 945-7777
The Taft School Photo #2 - Taft's visiting artist program brings working artists to campus for gallery exhibits, all school presentations, and class visits several times a year.
The Taft School Photo #5 - Students gather four times a week in Bingham Auditorium for talks and assemblies. It's also where major theatrical productions and dance shows are performed, as well as the occasional spirit rally.
The Taft School Photo #6 - With the motto, not to be served but to serve, the school is committed to helping out in schools and nonprofits in the local community.
The Taft School Photo #7 - Boarding allows students to take advantage of everything Taft has to offer. Students generally have a roommate, although there are a limited number of single rooms for upperclassmen.
The Taft School Photo #8 - Taft continually evaluates and modifies its academic program to reflect the most advanced teaching and learning methodologies, while providing students with unique opportunities for pursuing their passions. Taft offers more than 200 courses, both required and elective, every semester, including more than 30 different Advanced Placement courses.
The Taft School Photo #9 - Taft science and technology students tackle independent tutorials in quantum mechanics, neuroscience, the controlled release of anti-cancer drugs, video game design and human echolocation. They present research projects at major universities, and work side-by-side with world-renowned scientists at leading research institutions.
- The Taft School's mission is to educate the whole student with an emphasis on high scholarship and intellectual endeavor along with a belief that character, above all else, determines success in life. While the world and the school have changed dramatically, our fundamental values endure: work hard, without regard for public acclaim; develop all your talents: academic, artistic, and athletic; and most importantly, give of yourself to others.
The Taft School places among the top 20% of private schools in Connecticut for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$8,100|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Day student tuition for summer program is $4,475|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||587 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 25%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||129 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|Number of AP Courses||30 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1356|
|Average ACT score||29|
|Average Percentile SSAT||83%|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(no blue jeans or T-shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$62,500|
|Tuition Notes||Day student tuition is $46,500|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$44,014|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Peter A. Frew|
|Endowment Size||$261.1 million|
|Total Sports Offered||25 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Martial Arts, Riflery, Rock Climbing, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Weightlifting, WrestlingAlpine Skiing, Ballet,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Lacrosse, Martial Arts,
Riflery, Rock Climbing,
Tennis, Track and Field,
- The Taft School's mission is to educate the whole person with an emphasis on high scholarship and intellectual endeavor along with a belief that character, above all else, determines success in life. While the world and the school have changed dramatically since our founding in 1890, our fundamental values endure: work hard, without regard for public acclaim; develop all your talents: academic, artistic, and athletic; and most importantly, give of yourself to others.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Kent Grades: 9-12 | 572 students
1 Macedonia Road
Kent, CT 06757
(860) 927-6111 19.8 9-12
- Wallingford Grades: 9-12 | 850 students
333 Christian Street
Wallingford, CT 06492
(203) 697-2338 19.2 9-12
- Lakeville Grades: 9-12 | 612 students
11 Interlaken Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
(860) 435-3102 28.6 9-12
- New Milford Grades: 9-12 | 328 students
New Milford, CT 06776
(860) 210-3800 14.9 9-12
- Deerfield Grades: 9-12 | 648 students
7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
(413) 774-1400 70.2 9-12
A really superb education. Taft students push themselves academically and artistically. Still, it's a very warm community where kids get to know their teachers well and they are genuinely nice to each other and support each other. And the new dining hall is incredible!
- Posted by Parent - jsrho
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?