Canterbury School Photo #2 - Canterbury offers its athletes the facilities they need to excel, from one of the best aquatics centers in New England to our ice rink, nine playing fields, squash courts, and rowing site on the Housatonic River.
Canterbury School Photo #3 - Opening in fall 2020, the Steers Center is a new, 22,000-square-foot facility that expands Canterbury`s innovation and digital literacy curricula, creates a central gathering place for the entire school community, and inspires students` personal growth as moral and servant leaders in a complex world. It is an extraordinary space where all aspects of the Canterbury School mission converge.
Canterbury School Photo #4 - The theater program at Canterbury is open to all students, whether a novice or a veteran to the stage or to stagecraft. All students are encouraged to participate, either as actors, or as members of the technical crew, building the sets, costumes, and props for the fall and spring productions.
Canterbury School Photo #5 - Both boarders and day students think of Canterbury not just as a school, but a home away from home. From your first visit to campus, you sense how warm and welcoming Canterbury is. As you get to know students and teachers better, you find they are genuine, open, and down-to-earth.
Canterbury School Photo #6 - We recognize that spiritual growth is a vital part of a complete education-touching every aspect of learning and life at the School and key to the overall experience of personal growth that defines us. We prepare our students not only for success in higher learning and in life, but also to step forward as moral leaders in complex, secular world.
- Canterbury is a college preparatory, co-educational boarding and day school for students in grades 9-12.
- Founded in 1915 and guided by our Catholic heritage, we believe that leadership is collaborative, guided by moral and ethical values, and best demonstrated through service to others and a desire to improve our world.
- Our stunning hilltop campus in Litchfield County offers a secure and scenic setting 1.5 hours from NYC and a three-minute walk to quaint downtown New Milford.
- At Canterbury, you will receive a transformative education and work within a challenging academic program that allows you to develop the skills most essential to succeeding in college and life beyond.
- Here, you will learn in small, interactive, and innovative classes with dedicated faculty and advisors who truly know you and want you to succeed. Become your best self on this hilltop.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||328 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||70 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||21 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP 2D Design, AP 3D Design, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Drawing, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP French, AP Latin, AP Physics 1, AP Physics C, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP US Govt & Politics, AP US History, AP World History, Syracuse Univ Project Advance: Varied Courses|
|Average SAT score||1210|
|Average Percentile SSAT||55%|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$62,300|
|Tuition Notes||Day Student Tuition: $46600|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$28,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Matt Mulhern|
|Endowment Size||$31 million|
|Total Sports Offered||19 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Weightlifting, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Diving, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Tennis, Track and Field,
- Founded in 1915 and guided by our Catholic heritage, Canterbury is an independent college preparatory, coeducational boarding and day school for students in grades 912. The School prides itself on creating a community based on its Five Values-Honesty, Respect, Compassion, Spirituality, and Self-Reliance-in which students and faculty forge lasting bonds and every student experiences a broad and challenging program in a small school setting. The School's educational environment fosters academic rigor, athletic development, artistic enrichment and spiritual growth and strives to ensure a superior experience that prepares students for leading colleges and universities and for life.
- With its rigorous and humane approach to students, both in and out of the classroom, Canterbury's program inculcates vital intellectual and ethical habits of mind. The School sees all students as individuals, encourages them as necessary, challenges them as appropriate, and inspires them to be moral leaders in a complex, secular world.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Kent Grades: 9-12 | 572 students
1 Macedonia Road
Kent, CT 06757
(860) 927-6111 12.6 9-12
- Lakeville Grades: 9-12 | 612 students
11 Interlaken Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
(860) 435-3102 24.9 9-12
- Gill Grades: 9-12 | 650 students
One Lamplighter Way
Gill, MA 01354
(413) 498-3227 88.8 9-12
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.