Canterbury School Photo #2 - Canterbury offers its athletes the facilities they need to excel, from one of the best aquatics centers in New England to our ice rink, nine playing fields, squash courts, and rowing site on the Housatonic River.
Canterbury School Photo #3 - The stunning 22,000 square-foot building set on our 150-acre campus is emblematic to the School`s core mission of developing critical thinkers and ethical leaders in an increasingly complex world. The Steers Center is a truly unique blend of carefully planned spaces that not only supports our students` intellectual and social development but also inspires their growth as individuals.
Canterbury School Photo #4 - The theater program at Canterbury is open to all students, whether a novice or a veteran to the stage or to stagecraft. All students are encouraged to participate, either as actors, or as members of the technical crew, building the sets, costumes, and props for the fall and spring productions.
Canterbury School Photo #5 - Both boarders and day students think of Canterbury not just as a school, but a home away from home. From your first visit to campus, you sense how warm and welcoming Canterbury is. As you get to know students and teachers better, you find they are genuine, open, and down-to-earth.
Excellence-a pillar of Canterbury`s educational experience-is lived out every day on our hilltop campus. Across all areas of study, you will find yourself inspired to achieve. You will work within a challenging academic program that allows you to develop the skills most essential to succeeding in college and life beyond.
The campus you will call home comprises 150 acres of traditional and modern buildings that house spaces for learning, living, and spiritual reflection. Now open, the new Steers Center-a building that was our students` idea-is designed with every aspect of your student experience in mind.
Founded in the Catholic tradition and welcoming students of all faiths, Canterbury embraces five core values that not only differentiate our school, but distinguish your education and growth as an individual - Honesty, Respect, Compassion, Spirituality, and Self-Reliance. We will encourage you to seek justice and peace, cultivate your critical and reflective thinking, work with and for others, and be your best self.
- Top Ranked CT School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 325 students
- Yearly Tuition: $67,750
- Acceptance rate: 35%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 31 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Student Body Type
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
AP 2D Design, AP 3D Design, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Drawing, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP French, AP Latin, AP Physics 1, AP Physics C, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP US Govt & Politics, AP US History, AP World History, Syracuse Univ Project Advance: Varied Courses
Average SAT score
Average Percentile SSAT
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Jan. 31 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Day Student Tuition: $50000
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Total Sports Offered
- Excellence-a pillar of Canterbury`s educational experience-is lived out every day on our hilltop campus. Across all areas of study, you will find yourself inspired to achieve.You will work within a challenging academic program that allows you to develop the skills most essential to succeeding in college and life beyond.
- The campus you will call home comprises 150 acres of traditional and modern buildings that house spaces for learning, living, and spiritual reflection. Now open, the newSteers Center-a building that was our students` idea-is designed with every aspect of your student experience in mind.
- Founded in the Catholic tradition and welcoming students of all faiths, Canterbury embracesfive core valuesthat not only differentiate our school, butdistinguish your education and growth as an individual - Honesty, Respect, Compassion, Spirituality, and Self-Reliance. We will encourage you to seek justice and peace, cultivate your critical and reflective thinking, work with and for others, and be your best self.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jack Arute '68 - ESPN sports announcer
- William Randolph Hearst III '67 - venture capitalist and trustee of Hearst Trust
- Sargent Shriver '34 - diplomat, Peace Corps organizer, Vice-presidential candidate
- John Hemingway '79 - author (grandson of Ernest)
- Cofer Black '68 - former Assistant Secretary of State for counter-terrorism
- James B. Lee '71 - vice-chairman J.P. Morgan Chase
- Peter Kiernan '71 - partner Goldman Sachs, author
- Tom Gerety '64 - educator, NYU professor, former president Trinity College and Amherst College
- Mike Dunham '91 - NHL goaltender
- Dominick Dunne '44 - writer, producer, TV personality
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Canterbury School cost?
Canterbury School's tuition is approximately $67,750 for private students.
What is the acceptance rate of Canterbury School?
The acceptance rate of Canterbury School is 35%, which is lower than the national average of 69%. Canterbury School's acceptance rate is ranked among the top private schools in Connecticut with low acceptance rates.
Who are famous alumni from Canterbury School?
Canterbury School famous alumni include: Jack Arute '68, William Randolph Hearst III '67, Sargent Shriver '34, John Hemingway '79, Cofer Black '68, James B. Lee '71, Peter Kiernan '71, Tom Gerety '64, Mike Dunham '91 and Dominick Dunne '44.
What sports does Canterbury School offer?
Canterbury School offers 19 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Weightlifting and Wrestling. Canterbury School is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Connecticut for most sports offered.
What is Canterbury School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Canterbury School?
The application deadline for Canterbury School is Jan. 31 / rolling (applications are due on Jan. 31 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Endorse Canterbury School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Exploring Educational Savings Accounts: A Guide for Parents
This comprehensive article explores the different educational savings accounts available to parents for private K-12 education and tertiary education. It provides detailed explanations of each account, including the 529 College Savings Plan, Coverdell Education Savings Accounts, and Custodial Accounts. The article cites applicable legal authorities and emphasizes the importance of informed decision-making by consulting with legal and financial professionals.
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
October 30, 2023Volunteering at Your Children's Private School
Discover the many meaningful ways parents can get involved at their children's private school and make a positive impact on the educational journey. From PTA involvement to sharing specialized skills, find out how your contributions can strengthen the school community.