Canterbury School Photo #2 - Canterbury offers its athletes the facilities they need to excel, from one of the best aquatics centers in New England to our ice rink, nine playing fields, squash courts, and rowing site on the Housatonic River.
Canterbury School Photo #3 - The stunning 22,000 square-foot building set on our 150-acre campus is emblematic to the School`s core mission of developing critical thinkers and ethical leaders in an increasingly complex world. The Steers Center is a truly unique blend of carefully planned spaces that not only supports our students` intellectual and social development but also inspires their growth as individuals.
Canterbury School Photo #4 - The theater program at Canterbury is open to all students, whether a novice or a veteran to the stage or to stagecraft. All students are encouraged to participate, either as actors, or as members of the technical crew, building the sets, costumes, and props for the fall and spring productions.
Canterbury School Photo #5 - Both boarders and day students think of Canterbury not just as a school, but a home away from home. From your first visit to campus, you sense how warm and welcoming Canterbury is. As you get to know students and teachers better, you find they are genuine, open, and down-to-earth.
Canterbury is a college preparatory, co-educational boarding and day school for students in grades 9-12.
Founded in 1915 and guided by our Catholic heritage, we believe that leadership is collaborative, guided by moral and ethical values, and best demonstrated through service to others and a desire to improve our world.
Our stunning hilltop campus in Litchfield County offers a secure and scenic setting 1.5 hours from NYC and a three-minute walk to quaint downtown New Milford.
At Canterbury, you will receive a transformative education and work within a challenging academic program that allows you to develop the skills most essential to succeeding in college and life beyond. Here, you will learn in small, interactive, and innovative classes with dedicated faculty and advisors who truly know you and want you to succeed. Become your best self on this hilltop.
- Top Ranked CT School
- Grades: 9-12
- Students: 328 students
- Yearly Tuition: $65,450
- Acceptance rate: 35%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 31 / rolling
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Student Body Type
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
AP 2D Design, AP 3D Design, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Drawing, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP French, AP Latin, AP Physics 1, AP Physics C, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP US Govt & Politics, AP US History, AP World History, Syracuse Univ Project Advance: Varied Courses
Average SAT score
Average Percentile SSAT
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Jan. 31 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Day Student Tuition: $48550
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Total Sports Offered
- Founded in 1915 and guided by our Catholic heritage, Canterbury is an independent college preparatory, coeducational boarding and day school for students in grades 912. The School prides itself on creating a community based on its Five Values-Honesty, Respect, Compassion, Spirituality, and Self-Reliance-in which students and faculty forge lasting bonds and every student experiences a broad and challenging program in a small school setting. The School's educational environment fosters academic rigor, athletic development, artistic enrichment and spiritual growth and strives to ensure a superior experience that prepares students for leading colleges and universities and for life.
- With its rigorous and humane approach to students, both in and out of the classroom, Canterbury's program inculcates vital intellectual and ethical habits of mind. The School sees all students as individuals, encourages them as necessary, challenges them as appropriate, and inspires them to be moral leaders in a complex, secular world.
Profile last updated: 08/18/2021
Endorse Canterbury School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Teen Travel In Uncertain Times
Most adults find traveling more complicated and challenging that it was pre-pandemic. We offer some suggestions for safe teen travel in these uncertain times.
Using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest to Promote Your School
Social media is an effective marketing tool for your school. Here are some suggestions for using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest.
Should Teachers Be Unionized?
One of the basic differences between private and public schools is the fact that most public school teachers belong to a union. Should teachers be unionized?