The Hotchkiss School
- The Hotchkiss School is an independent boarding school located in Lakeville, Connecticut.
- Founded in 1891, the school provides an education of unsurpassed quality to approximately 600 students in grades 9 through 12, and to a small number of postgraduates.
- The Hotchkiss School strives to develop in students a lifelong love of learning, responsible citizenship, and personal integrity.
- We are a community based on trust, mutual respect, and compassion, and we hold all members of the community accountable for upholding these values.
- The school is committed to mastery of learning skills, development of intellectual curiosity, excellence, and creativity in all disciplines, and enthusiastic participation in athletics and other school activities.
- We encourage our students to develop clarity of thought, confidence and facility in expressing ideas, and artistic and aesthetic sensitivity.
- We expect all members of the community, in and out of the classroom, to subject their views and actions to critical examination and to accept responsibility for them.
- We hope that our graduates will leave Hotchkiss with a commitment to service to others and to environmental stewardship, and with a greater understanding of themselves and of their responsibilities in a global society.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||600 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||156 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||22 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$59,990|
|Tuition Notes||59,990 - boarding 50,990 - day|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$50,080|
|Admissions Director||Erby L. Mitchell, Jr.|
|Endowment Size||$488.4 million|
|Total Sports Offered||23 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Lacrosse, Mountain Biking,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
Volleyball, Water Polo,
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Wallingford Grades: 9-12 | 846 students
333 Christian Street
Wallingford, CT 06492
(203)697-2239 46.8 9-12
- Kent Grades: 9-12 | 572 students
1 Macedonia Road
Kent, CT 06757
(860)927-6111 12.3 9-12
- Deerfield Grades: 9-12 | 648 students
7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
(413)774-1400 59.5 9-12
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.