The Hotchkiss School
- The Hotchkiss School is an independent boarding school located in Lakeville, Connecticut.
- Founded in 1891, the school provides an education of unsurpassed quality to approximately 600 students in grades 9 through 12, and to a small number of postgraduates.
- The Hotchkiss School strives to develop in students a lifelong love of learning, responsible citizenship, and personal integrity.
- We are a community based on trust, mutual respect, and compassion, and we hold all members of the community accountable for upholding these values.
- The school is committed to mastery of learning skills, development of intellectual curiosity, excellence, and creativity in all disciplines, and enthusiastic participation in athletics and other school activities.
- We encourage our students to develop clarity of thought, confidence and facility in expressing ideas, and artistic and aesthetic sensitivity.
- We expect all members of the community, in and out of the classroom, to subject their views and actions to critical examination and to accept responsibility for them.
- We hope that our graduates will leave Hotchkiss with a commitment to service to others and to environmental stewardship, and with a greater understanding of themselves and of their responsibilities in a global society.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||600 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||156 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||22 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$59,990|
|Tuition Notes||59,990 - boarding 50,990 - day|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$50,080|
|Admissions Director||Erby L. Mitchell, Jr.|
|Endowment Size||$488.4 million|
|Total Sports Offered||23 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Lacrosse, Mountain Biking,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
Volleyball, Water Polo,
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Wallingford Grades: 9-12 | 846 students
333 Christian Street
Wallingford, CT 06492
(203)697-2239 46.8 9-12
- Kent Grades: 9-12 | 572 students
1 Macedonia Road
Kent, CT 06757
(860)927-6111 12.3 9-12
- Deerfield Grades: 9-12 | 648 students
7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
(413)774-1400 59.5 9-12
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.