The Hotchkiss School
Tel: (860) 435-3102
- The Hotchkiss School is an independent boarding school located in Lakeville, Connecticut.
- Founded in 1891, the school provides an education of unsurpassed quality to approximately 600 students in grades 9 through 12, and to a small number of postgraduates.
- The Hotchkiss School strives to develop in students a lifelong love of learning, responsible citizenship, and personal integrity.
- We are a community based on trust, mutual respect, and compassion, and we hold all members of the community accountable for upholding these values.
- The school is committed to mastery of learning skills, development of intellectual curiosity, excellence, and creativity in all disciplines, and enthusiastic participation in athletics and other school activities.
- We encourage our students to develop clarity of thought, confidence and facility in expressing ideas, and artistic and aesthetic sensitivity.
- We expect all members of the community, in and out of the classroom, to subject their views and actions to critical examination and to accept responsibility for them.
- We hope that our graduates will leave Hotchkiss with a commitment to service to others and to environmental stewardship, and with a greater understanding of themselves and of their responsibilities in a global society.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||612 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 25%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Number of AP Courses||22 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Formal dress code required at times)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$63,180|
|Tuition Notes||63,180 - boarding 53,720 - day|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$50,319|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Erby L. Mitchell, Jr.|
|Endowment Size||$488.4 million|
|Total Sports Offered||23 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Lacrosse, Mountain Biking,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
Volleyball, Water Polo,
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Wallingford Grades: 9-12 | 850 students
333 Christian Street
Wallingford, CT 06492
(203) 697-2338 46.8 9-12
- Kent Grades: 9-12 | 572 students
1 Macedonia Road
Kent, CT 06757
(860) 927-6111 12.3 9-12
- Deerfield Grades: 9-12 | 648 students
7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
(413) 774-1400 59.5 9-12
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.