- Maplebrook School is an independent, coed boarding school that has been providing holistic education for students with complex learning profiles since its founding in 1945.
- Combining quality academics with a focus on character formation, Maplebrook seeks to empower and meet the needs of each of its individual students.
- For young people ages 11-21 who learn differently, We Make the Difference.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Learning Disabilities Association of America (LDA)
Children and Adults with Attention Deficit or Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD)
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Language-based, ADHD, central auditory processing, learning differences|
|Total Students||100 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||6 students|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$63,500|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition includes Room, Board, Speech & Language services, Tutoring, etc.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Christine Place|
|Admissions Associate||Bekah Puddington|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,
Cross Country, Equestrian,
Field Hockey, Soccer,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||(We're always open to suggestions for new additions!), Band, Chorus, Cooking Club, Drama/Theater, Driver's Permit Training, Golf, Great Books Club, Instrumental Music Lessons, Leo's Club (Jr. version of the Lion's Club), Ski and Snowboard Club, Ultimate Frisbee, Voice Lessons, Weight Training Band, Chorus, Cooking Club, Drama/Theater, Golf, Voice Lessons, (We're always open to suggestions for new additions!),
Driver's Permit Training,
Great Books Club,
Instrumental Music Lessons,
Leo's Club (Jr. version of the Lion's Club),
Ski and Snowboard Club,
- Maplebrook School is an independent boarding school for students with learning differences that seeks to meet the complex needs of each and every one of our individual students.
- At the heart of our educational philosophy is the goal to "Educate the heart." Trust, honesty, respect, citizenship, caring, fairness, faith, and responsibilitythese are the Eight Pillars of Character that form the core values of a Maplebrook education.
- Our unique RISE program (Responsibility Increases Self Esteem) is the backbone of our approach to fostering these values in our students. RISE is a completely non-punitive, positive-reinforcement based system in which an increasing number of privileges are granted to the individual student as he or she earns more points; RISE also provides 1-on-1 mentoring for each student.
- Maplebrook further endeavors to provide a quality education for its students through the means of multi-sensory teaching methods, innovative iPad technology and programs such as Activate, and small class sizes of 4 to 8 students. Individual or small-group tutoring and daily study hall sessions run by teachers are also included in every student's schedule. Other available supports include Speech & Language therapy, and OT/PT as needed.
- As a boarding school where the majority of faculty and staff live as well as work, Maplebrook offers unique benefits that distinguish it from residential schools. Learning opportunities are present for students not only in the classroom, but all throughout the day with teachers and staff who know them well. The caring family-style atmosphere of boarding school life also lends a wholesomeness to the Maplebrook environment, and provides the underlying structure of social support necessary to help each student succeed and thrive.
- Currently comprised of students from 18 states and 13 countries, Maplebrook highly values the diversity of its student body and is committed to further promoting such diversity.
- Geographically, Maplebrook students are ideally placed for experiencing the best of both rural and urban life in America; the school`s location in rural Amenia90 miles north of New York City and nestled in the foothills of the Berkshire Mountainsprovides a safe and beautiful place for students to live and learn in, while still making it possible to visit the city on occasion. Other local cultural and artistic opportunities abound closer to Amenia, as well. Maplebrook also avails itself of several opportunities throughout the year to be involved with our local community. Examples include a yearly art show, Leo's Club for students who wish to participate in community service, and our annual 5K Run/Walk to sponser the Panichi Family Center for Communication & Learning.
- Maplebrook recognizes that each student has their own complex learning style, complete with a unique set of strengths as well as a unique set of challenges. Accordingly, Maplebrook School offers students with learning differences the personalized education that each individual needs to succeed in school and beyond; and emphasizing the triune values of Excellence, Friendship, and Independence, Maplebrook is proud to say that, for students who learn differently, We Make the Difference.
- For more information on Maplebrook School, please visit our website at maplebrookschool.org, or contact Admissions via e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 845-373-8191. You can also find and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
- Maplebrook also runs a post-secondary program, the Institute for Collegiate and Career Studies (ICCS); more information on ICCS can be found on the program`s website at iccsprogram.org.
Profile last updated: 05/31/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Yorktown HeightsGrades: 6-12 | 68 students
370 Underhill Avenue
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
AmeniaGrades: 2-12 | 91 students
425 Morse Hill Road
Amenia, NY 12501
PawlingGrades: 7-12 | 292 students
700 Route 22
Pawling, NY 12564