The Oxford Academy
5.00 (4 reviews)
- The Oxford Academy`s mission is to create a supportive learning community for young men built on the values of trust, respect and integrity.
- At the heart of the Oxford Method is the belief that students, in partnership with their teachers, will find success through increased self-awareness and strategic effort.
- In a boarding environment with a holistic approach, Oxford`s individualized education balances one-to-one and collaborative learning experiences that challenge each young man to reach his potential.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||48 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||48 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||1:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||1 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Human Geography, AP Statistics,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants, white or blue button-down shirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$63,000|
|Tuition Notes||Need-Based Financial Aid Available|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Helen H. Waldron|
|Admissions Associate||Tora Massey|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, WeightliftingBasketball, Soccer,|
Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Book Club, Community Service Club, Photo Club, Sustain Environmental Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Airsoft Intramural, Intramural Sports, Ski/Snowboard Clu
- Oxford Academy is an independent boys boarding school established in 1906 to educate young men seeking an alternative to the traditional classroom approach. In Oxford's one-to-one classroom, each student benefits from his teacher's undivided attention. Through the Oxford Method of Individualized Instruction, our students gain self-confidence, attain academic success, and prepare for the future. For over 100 years, this method has made a positive impact on the lives of a wide variety of students.While most Oxford students come from the United States, a significant number (up to 30 percent) are international students representing some 20 countries over the past several years. Our goal is to achieve a diverse enrollment where international students have adequate opportunity to practice English skills, and all students benefit from the cross-cultural exchange. Oxford Academy`s faculty of committed educators and its dedicated staff form a supportive and caring community with one goal: the success of each student. With a rolling admissions policy, enrollment is open throughout the year as space is available.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Oakdale Grades: 8-12 | 115 students
45 Cottage Road
Oakdale, CT 06370
(860)823-3861 19.9 8-12
- West Haven Grades: 9-12 | 586 students
24 Ricardo St
West Haven, CT 06516
(203)933-1673 27 9-12
- Middletown Grades: 9-12 | 788 students
181 Randolph Rd
Middletown, CT 06457
(860)346-7735 19.6 9-12
The Oxford Academy is an excellent place for young men to prepare for the next step in their academic careers. I graduated from the school and was well prepared for college and beyond. I would recommend Oxford to any student who needs a customized educational program. While there, I was able to concentrate on a science-heavy curriculum, taking both physics and AP biology my senior year, which laid the ground work for a successful under- and post-graduate career. The faculty are truly caring and clearly demonstrate a genuine commitment and interest in the well being and education of students at Oxford. It is a special place and accomplishes great things for the young men who attend.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - JP
Oxford Academy was the perfect choice for our son. Oxford is a hidden gem that offers a nurturing, family environment for young men. The one-on-one instruction allows students to move at a pace that is appropriate for them. If they need more time on a concept that can be accommodated and if they are moving at an accelerated pace that will be supported too with options for honors and AP classes and the ability to move to the next level at the subsequent term. It is hard to imagine any student not benefiting from individualized instruction. Not only is it academically ideal but the emotional and social benefits are unparalleled. Teachers encourage the boys and offer them the support and tools to find success. Whether a student is looking for a smaller school environment or has had some level of anxiety or needs a different pace of instruction Oxford can meet their needs. Living on campus and learning to be a part of the community is a huge benefit that allows the students to grow and mature. Teachers are not only there to provide academic instruction but are role models as well. Many live on campus and interact with the boys on a daily basis teaching them life skills and how to be an honorable, contributing member of society. There are numerous activities to keep the boys engaged including sports, clubs, field trips, international trips, weekend trips to local events, movies, etc. My son has thrived over the last three years at Oxford and is secure in the knowledge that his teachers and administrators care about him and are there to help him achieve his goals. Soon he will be graduating from Oxford and heading to college. We will all miss the Oxford family and will be forever grateful for the opportunity and support they provided.
- Posted by Parent - SC
Oxford was an amazing experience for me. It was an integral part of my life because without it I probably wouldn't be as mature and confident as I am today. It helped me reach my potential as a student and as a person and leader. The teachers there are some of the best people I have ever met and are always there to help with whatever situation.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Sid
Oxford Academy has been an amazing school for our son. He is thriving academically and personally, and is looking forward to graduating from high school and attending a competitive college. The one-on-one instruction, and opportunities available outside the classroom, have allowed him to gain confidence in his academic abilities as well as his athletic, artistic, and leadership skills. The quality of teaching is exceptional, as well as the academic advising and the college counseling. I can't recommend Oxford highly enough!
- Posted by Parent - krisc
August 16, 2018
If you have been teaching for a few years, chances are that you will need to consider rebranding yourself.
August 14, 2018
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
July 24, 2018
We identify changes in The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 which impact not-for-profit private schools.