The Oxford Academy
5.00 (4 reviews)
The Oxford Academy Photo #2 - Sustainability practices are woven into the daily life of Oxford Academy students. During spring, summer, and fall, students tend the community gardens, compost and keep bees. In the winter months, they raise trout for a spring release and gather in the Sugar Shack to make maple syrup.
The Oxford Academy Photo #3 - Weekend hikes and trips to explore the natural landscape build a brotherhood among our students. Alumni enjoy lifelong friendships and networks from their time at Oxford Academy.
The Oxford Academy Photo #4 - One to one learning in the classroom is customized and highly engaging. Many students discover a new passion for learning that creates their path to future studies.
The Oxford Academy Photo #5 - Oxford Academy graduates matriculate to universities throughout the U.S. and abroad. Well prepared for the rigors of college studies, they continue to live rich full lives and join alumni events. Graduates work in a wide variety of industries, professions and non-profit work.
- The Oxford Academy`s mission is to create a supportive learning community for young men built on the values of trust, respect, and integrity.
- At the heart of the Oxford Method is the belief that students, in partnership with their teachers, will find success through increased self-awareness.
- In a boarding environment with a holistic approach, Oxford`s individualized education balances one-to-one coursework and collaborative learning experiences that challenge each young man to reach his potential.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Executive Functioning Weakness/Anxiety/ADHD/Mild Learning Differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$10,000|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Additional fees for an international trip.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||48 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||48 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||1:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||1 students|
|Number of AP Courses||4 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Human Geography, AP Statistics|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants, white or blue button-down shirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$67,000|
|Tuition Notes||Need-Based Financial Aid Available|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Helen H. Waldron|
|Admissions Associate||Tora Massey-Ogueri|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, WeightliftingBasketball, Soccer,|
Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Book Club, Chess Club, Community Service Club, Mindfulness, Newspaper Club, Photo Club, Sustain Environmental Club, Sustainability Club, The Career Paths Program
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Airsoft Intramural, Intramural Sports, Ski/Snowboard Club
- Located on the Connecticut Shoreline, Oxford is the original one-to-one top secondary, all boys, college preparatory independent boarding school. Established in 1906, we offer a class made up of one teacher, one student and a customized course of study. We created the Oxford Method inspired by Oxford and Cambridge University holistic model, including our signature classes. That means students drive learning in a direct partnership with their teachers. This is the most individualized learning available anywhere!
- At the core of our close-knit community are opportunities for our students to pursue their passions in our newly renovated dorms, innovation lab, and athletic center. Oxford's campus also extends to the local community where students enjoy walks to the beach, participating in the local performance theatre, or grabbing a bite to eat with friends. Weekend trips include concerts, sporting events, and museums.
- While most students come from the United States, 30 percent of our population are international representing 23 countries over the past several years. Our culturally diverse community empowers international students have adequate opportunity to practice English skills, and all students benefit from the cross-cultural exchange. Oxford Academy`s faculty of committed educators and its dedicated staff form a supportive and caring community with one goal: the success of each student.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Greenwich Grades: PK-12 | 1006 students
100 Maher Avenue
Greenwich, CT 06830
(203)625-5800 63.8 PK-12
- Deep River Grades: 9-12 | 39 students
135 Kirtland St
Deep River, CT 06417
(860)343-1300 7.8 9-12
- Fairfield Grades: 9-12 | 900 students
1073 N Benson Rd
Fairfield, CT 06824
(203)254-4200 43 9-12
The Oxford Academy is an excellent place for young men to prepare for the next step in their academic careers. I graduated from the school and was well prepared for college and beyond. I would recommend Oxford to any student who needs a customized educational program. While there, I was able to concentrate on a science-heavy curriculum, taking both physics and AP biology my senior year, which laid the ground work for a successful under- and post-graduate career. The faculty are truly caring and clearly demonstrate a genuine commitment and interest in the well being and education of students at Oxford. It is a special place and accomplishes great things for the young men who attend.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - JP
Oxford Academy was the perfect choice for our son. Oxford is a hidden gem that offers a nurturing, family environment for young men. The one-on-one instruction allows students to move at a pace that is appropriate for them. If they need more time on a concept that can be accommodated and if they are moving at an accelerated pace that will be supported too with options for honors and AP classes and the ability to move to the next level at the subsequent term. It is hard to imagine any student not benefiting from individualized instruction. Not only is it academically ideal but the emotional and social benefits are unparalleled. Teachers encourage the boys and offer them the support and tools to find success. Whether a student is looking for a smaller school environment or has had some level of anxiety or needs a different pace of instruction Oxford can meet their needs. Living on campus and learning to be a part of the community is a huge benefit that allows the students to grow and mature. Teachers are not only there to provide academic instruction but are role models as well. Many live on campus and interact with the boys on a daily basis teaching them life skills and how to be an honorable, contributing member of society. There are numerous activities to keep the boys engaged including sports, clubs, field trips, international trips, weekend trips to local events, movies, etc. My son has thrived over the last three years at Oxford and is secure in the knowledge that his teachers and administrators care about him and are there to help him achieve his goals. Soon he will be graduating from Oxford and heading to college. We will all miss the Oxford family and will be forever grateful for the opportunity and support they provided.
- Posted by Parent - SC
Oxford was an amazing experience for me. It was an integral part of my life because without it I probably wouldn't be as mature and confident as I am today. It helped me reach my potential as a student and as a person and leader. The teachers there are some of the best people I have ever met and are always there to help with whatever situation.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Sid
Oxford Academy has been an amazing school for our son. He is thriving academically and personally, and is looking forward to graduating from high school and attending a competitive college. The one-on-one instruction, and opportunities available outside the classroom, have allowed him to gain confidence in his academic abilities as well as his athletic, artistic, and leadership skills. The quality of teaching is exceptional, as well as the academic advising and the college counseling. I can't recommend Oxford highly enough!
- Posted by Parent - krisc
Learn more about how the coronavirus can impact the financing of your child’s education.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
If you are thinking about private school for your child in the aftermath of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, you should exercise even more due diligence than you usually would. More here.