Loomis Chaffee is one of the nation's leading boarding schools with a long history of supporting excellence in its students from all over the country and around the world in grades 9-12.
The mission of The Loomis Chaffee School is to advance the development in spirit, mind and body of boys and girls drawn from diverse cultural and social backgrounds and to inspire in them a commitment to the best self and the common good.
The goal of the school's academic program is the formation of skilled and discerning minds in preparation for higher education and lifelong learning.
Through its courses and community life, Loomis Chaffee also educates its students for service in the nation and in today's global civilization.
In all things, the school aims to be, as its founders intended, "a shrine from which boys and girls shall take the highest inspirations for better and grander lives.".
Quick Stats (2023)
- Top Ranked CT School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 705 students
- Yearly Tuition: $39,130
- Acceptance rate: 27%
- Average class size: 11 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15
- Source: Verified school update
The Loomis Chaffee School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Connecticut for:
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Offers Post-Graduate Year
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 29%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
List of Courses Offered
Average SAT score
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Yearly Tuition Cost
% on Financial Aid
Average Financial Aid Grant
National avg.: 85%
Total Sports Offered
- The mission of The Loomis Chaffee School is to advance the development in spirit, mind and body of boys and girls drawn from diverse cultural and social backgrounds and to inspire in them a commitment to the best self and the common good. The goal of the school's academic program is the formation of skilled and discerning minds in preparation for higher education and lifelong learning. Through its courses and community life, Loomis Chaffee also educates its students for service in the nation and in today's global civilization. In all things, the school aims to be, as its founders intended, "a shrine from which boys and girls shall take the highest inspirations for better and grander lives."
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- George P. Shultz '38 - Former Secretary of State
- Ella T. Grasso '36 - Former Governor of Connecticut
- Diana Farrell '83 - Founding president and chief executive officer of the JPMorgan Chase Institute
- Henry R. Kravis '63 - Co-founder, co-chairman, co-CEO KKR
- James Widdoes '72 - Actor, writer, director, and producer
- Betty Gilpin '04 - Emmy-nominated television (GLOW), film, and stage acctress.
- Nana Mensah '01 - actress, writer, singer, and director
- David Edelstein '77 - Film critic for New York magazine and for National Public Radio’s Fresh Air
- Jason Wu '01 - Fashion designer (designed First Lady Michelle Obama's inaugural ball gowns and other pieces for the first lady)
- Frank Bruni ’82 - Author, journalist, The New York Times and the New York Times Magazine
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does The Loomis Chaffee School cost?
The Loomis Chaffee School's tuition is approximately $39,130 for private students.
What is the acceptance rate of The Loomis Chaffee School?
The acceptance rate of The Loomis Chaffee School is 27%, which is lower than the national average of 68%. The Loomis Chaffee School's acceptance rate is ranked among the top private schools in Connecticut with low acceptance rates.
Who are famous alumni from The Loomis Chaffee School?
The Loomis Chaffee School famous alumni include: George P. Shultz '38, Ella T. Grasso '36, Diana Farrell '83, Henry R. Kravis '63, James Widdoes '72, Betty Gilpin '04, Nana Mensah '01, David Edelstein '77, Jason Wu '01 and Frank Bruni ’82.
What sports does The Loomis Chaffee School offer?
The Loomis Chaffee School offers 20 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo and Wrestling. The Loomis Chaffee School is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Connecticut for most sports offered.
What is The Loomis Chaffee School's ranking?
The Loomis Chaffee School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Connecticut for: Highest average SAT score, Lowest average acceptance rates, Largest student body, Most AP courses offered, Most sports offered and Oldest founding date.
When is the application deadline for The Loomis Chaffee School?
The application deadline for The Loomis Chaffee School is Jan. 15.
Endorse The Loomis Chaffee School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Nearby Homes for Sale
Montessori Schools: An Overview
Are you curious about an educational approach that nurtures independent, creative, and lifelong learners? Look no further! We invite you to dive into the fascinating world of Montessori education and unlock its incredible potential for your children.
Securing Your School
With the rise of school shootings and other violent incidents, it is essential to have a comprehensive plan in place to protect everyone on your school campus.
Overview of State Voucher Programs in the United States
More than twelve states and the District of Columbia have education voucher programs. We describe the various programs and offer suggestions on how to use them so your child can attend private school.