Kingswood Oxford School
Tel: (860) 727-5000
- Kingswood Oxford is a co-ed, private, college preparatory, independent day school in West Hartford, Connecticut, serving grades 6-12 and located just steps from Blue Back Square and West Hartford Center. Our community values academic and co-curricular excellence, ethical citizenry, and meaningful relationships with our students and their families.
- Small classes are taught by exceptional teachers who encourage students to engage both widely and deeply in the liberal arts and sciences experience.
- Our graduates are well rounded and prepared remarkably well for the challenges of highly selective colleges and equipped for success in an increasingly complex and interconnected world.
- 100% of KO students matriculate to a four-year college or university
- 100% of recent graduates said that KO prepared them well to very well in written work, critical thinking and communication skills
- 100% of Seniors write a long-form thesis paper. In both 2017 and 2018, Kingswood Oxford alums were named the Cum Laude Society's National Thesis winner.
- 90% of students take at least one AP course before graduation
- 84% of recent graduates participate in community service in their college or university and 72% of recent graduates hold leadership positions in their college or university
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Total Students||518 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 25%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||75 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||17 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese Language and Culture, AP Computer Science, AP Economics, AP English Language - Voice and Vision, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language and Culture, AP Latin: Caesar and Vergil, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Political Science, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP United States History|
|Average SAT score||1319|
|Average ACT score||29|
|Average Percentile SSAT||62%|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(collared shirts, sweater, khakis)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$42,750|
|Tuition Notes||2020-2021 Middle School (Grades 6-8) tuition is: $38750. Upper School (Grades 9-12) tuition is: $42750. Need-based financial aid to those who qualify. Merit scholarships available to 6th and 9th-grade applicants .|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$22,500|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Zaira Santiago|
|Admissions Associate||Rebecca Benavides|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Diving,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||30 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Epic Literary Magazine (Upper School), Female Empowerment Club, Forensic Union (Debate), Gender and Sexuality Alliance, Global Awareness Organization, Green Team (environmental awareness), Investment Club, KO Cares, KO News, Math Club, Mock Trial (Middle School), Model United Nations, Music Publications, Peer Mentors, Prefects (Seniors who Mentor Freshman), Retrospect Yearbook, Senior Advisors (Mentors to 6th Graders), Shield & Dragon (student hosts), Student Government, Student Tutors, Team Tobati, The Voice Literary Magazine (Middle School), United Students, Various Other Student Clubs each year, Video Club, Wyvern Nation Spirit Association
Arts and Music Programs:
Band Program, Choral Programs, Orchestra Program
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Essential to the KO experience is our emphasis on our Core Values of demonstrating integrity, respect, responsibility, embracing intellectual curiosity, learning with passion and perseverance, caring beyond self, taking personal responsibility and working hard, taking risks, becoming involved. Everything we do revolves around these values. There`s a wonderful sense among the entire community of wanting and encouraging each student to do well and to reach his or her potential academically, socially and emotionally. We work to empower students to become independent, to self-advocate and to embrace lifelong learning through a rich and robust academic program as well as co-curricular activities and leadership opportunities. KO students are multi-faceted, motivated and compassionate.
- Opportunities abound for students to find their voice, to discover a passion they didn`t know they had -- to shine. KO offers a safe and nurturing environment to test new ideas, start campus initiatives and work through challenges. KO faculty and staff work with parents every step of the way. We believe that the parent-teacher partnership is critical to the student`s success. A faculty advisor meets with a small group of students several times a week to help them navigate academic and social issues and check in with parents should a challenge arise. Advisors are always here to listen and to guide with patience and honesty. And, as a day school, students form one cohesive group; no lines of demarcation exist between a day student and boarding student. We all share a similar experience - going home to our families at night.
- Additional KO Stories can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-r0ll3eN8U&index=1&list=PLbI3QjSIM8T70Iu-5Vz68P3nSu3yFg3UU
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Simsbury Grades: 6-12 | 226 students
230 Bushy Hill Road
Simsbury, CT 06070
(860) 408-4200 8.1 6-12
- Windsor Grades: 9-12 | 650 students
4 Batchelder Road
Windsor, CT 06095
(860) 687-6400 7.5 9-12
- Manchester Grades: 9-12 | 555 students
115 New State Rd
Manchester, CT 06042
(860) 649-5336 9.3 9-12
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?