- Founded in 1881, Watkinson School is Hartford's oldest independent school.
- We serve approximately 230 students from over forty Connecticut towns in grades six through twelve, including The Academy at Watkinson a unique post graduate program.
- Watkinson's mission is to develop in our students the power to shape their own lives and the world around them.
- Watkinson's programs are as unique as the students we serve. Our Creative Arts, Exhibitions, Global Studies and Learning Skills Programs offer students an exceptional range of experiences - from guest speakers, to international travel, to memorable reflection to one-on-one coaching. You will not find programs like these anywhere else.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences or Language-based / Dyslexia|
|Total Students||242 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||46 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1210|
|Average ACT score||24|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(casual but neat and respectful)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$38,900|
|Tuition Notes||Includes lunch and certain fees. Books are not included.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$18,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||John Crosson|
|Admissions Associate||Deb Heidenis|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Fencing, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBasketball, Crew,
Cross Country, Fencing,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||15 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chorus, Circus Arts, Community Service, Culinary Arts, Dance, Environmental Club, Fencing, Martial Arts, Model United Nations, Orchestra, P.E., Theater, Video Production, Writing Club, Yoga Chorus, Circus Arts, Culinary Arts, Dance, Fencing, Martial Arts, Orchestra, P.E., Theater, Writing Club, Yoga, Community Service,
Model United Nations,
- A Hartford fixture since 1881, Watkinson`s mission is to develop in our students the power to shape their lives and the world around them. Watkinson`s 40-acre campus is adjacent to the University of Hartford. Watkinson`s faculty includes 47 teachers, 27 of whom hold graduate degrees or above. Our student to teacher ratio is 6:1 and the average class size is 14. Our architecturally-rich campus features buildings on the National Registry of Historic Places plus an energy efficient Science and Global Citizenship Center, the first of its kind in New England.
- Watkinson is a lead school for the Coalition of Essential Schools (www.essentialschools.org), one of only 5 schools to be so honored. The Coalition's ten common Principles form the daily basis of an outstanding education.
- Watkinson is a mission-driven school. That means we plan our lessons, organize our curriculum, and build our buildings with one question in mind: how does this help our students develop the power to shape their lives and the world around them? By questioning assumptions, making connections, and applying new patterns in new ways, students find themselves becoming more than they ever imagined. Always, we help them ask: What kind of world can I create with this knowledge, these skills, this understanding of myself?
- School Location Miles Grades Students
West HartfordGrades: 6-12 | 492 students
170 Kingswood Road
West Hartford, CT 06119
West HartfordGrades: NS-8 | 347 students
2865 Albany Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117
WindsorGrades: 9-12 | 650 students
4 Batchelder Road
Windsor, CT 06095
SimsburyGrades: 6-12 | 252 students
230 Bushy Hill Road
Simsbury, CT 06070
ManchesterGrades: 9-12 | 654 students
115 New State Rd
Manchester, CT 06042
The transition for my 11th grader to Watkinson has been fantastic. He continues to excel in the courses he is strong in, but now enjoys and is learning in those he previously struggled in. The atmosphere at Watkinson is only truly understood when you spend time on the campus - it is unlike any other private school and the only one that seems to intuitively understand the soft skills that will truly be critical for our children to navigate their future. My only wish is we had started soon. Its best summed up by my son who transitioned at a challenging time he said to his sister "sure i miss my friends - but I am doing so much better in school and am learning without being stressed."
- Posted by Parent - amyfr