Quick Stats (2023)
- Top Ranked MA School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 409 students
- Yearly Tuition: $66,200
- Acceptance rate: 27%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15
- Source: Verified school update
Berkshire School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for:
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Arts and Music Programs:
- Founded in 1907, Berkshire School is a co-ed college preparatory boarding and day school for 400 ninth-12th graders and post-graduates, offering a forward-thinking curriculum and state-of-the-art facilities on a 400-acre campus in Sheffield, Massachusetts.
- Berkshire`s signature programs, including Advanced Math/Science Research, Advanced Humanities Research, and the Sabin Entrepreneurial Prize, are offered along with advanced sections and AP offerings in all disciplines. These programs are designed to expand the minds, provide real-world experiences, and help distinguish our students in an increasingly competitive college process.
- With a range of artistic and athletic offerings and national recognition for our efforts in sustainability, Berkshire provides an extraordinary setting in which students are encouraged to learn in the words of the School motto: Pro Vita Non Pro Schola Discimus, "Learning-not just for school but for life."
- Berkshire is committed to ensuring that each student has a unique and relevant learning experience. By design, every student makes an impact at Berkshire and no student is anonymous. Our enrollment size allows us to cultivate an exceptionally affirming and close-knit residential community. From the foundation of being known well, our students build confidence, which enables them to reimagine their potential in all areas of their development. Berkshire students genuinely care about each other-having a great sense of pride in seeing others do well-a distinguishing element that creates a healthy culture that balances ambition and humility.
- Berkshire's dedication to academic, artistic, and athletic excellence has led to record numbers in admissions, success and achievement in every corner of our campus, and nearly 90% of our graduates earning acceptances to the most selective colleges and universities. The talent and dedication of our students has produced Regeneron Science Talent Search semi-finalists, primary authorships on scholarly publications, Scholastic Art Award national medalists, and New England Championship athletic teams.
- Upon leaving Berkshire, our graduates are able to communicate effectively and persuasively, think critically and creatively, collaborate with others, and understand that they are part of something larger than themselves. They are a part of a global network of nearly 6,000 alumni, spanning 54 countries and 50 states.
- Berkshire strives to instill core values-curiosity, integrity, respect, inclusion, perseverance and resilience-along with the critical skills, initiative, and confidence that will ensure our students' success in school and in life.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Lincoln Kierstein '26 - Co-founder of the New York City Ballet
- William Knowles '34 - Recipient of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry
- Calvin Tomkins '43 - Author and Art Critic for "The New Yorker"
- Stephen Malawista '50 - Lyme disease co-discoverer
- Jeff McLaughlin '84 - Olympic Bronze and Silver Medalist in Rowing
- Kristin Baker '93 - Artist
- Kacey Bellamy '05 - Olympic Gold and Silver Medalist in Women's Ice Hockey
- Kevan Miller '07 - NHL Boston Bruins Defenseman
- Kendall Coyne '11 - Olympic Gold and Silver Medalist in Women's Ice Hockey
- Jack Harrison '15 - MLS Professional Soccer Player
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Berkshire School cost?
Berkshire School's tuition is approximately $66,200 for private students.
What is the acceptance rate of Berkshire School?
The acceptance rate of Berkshire School is 27%, which is lower than the national average of 71%. Berkshire School's acceptance rate is ranked among the top private schools in Massachusetts with low acceptance rates.
Who are famous alumni from Berkshire School?
Berkshire School famous alumni include: Lincoln Kierstein '26, William Knowles '34, Calvin Tomkins '43, Stephen Malawista '50, Jeff McLaughlin '84, Kristin Baker '93, Kacey Bellamy '05, Kevan Miller '07, Kendall Coyne '11 and Jack Harrison '15.
What sports does Berkshire School offer?
Berkshire School offers 20 interscholastic sports: Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field and Volleyball. Berkshire School is ranked as one of the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for most sports offered.
What is Berkshire School's ranking?
Berkshire School ranks among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for: Lowest average acceptance rates, Largest student body, Most sports offered, Oldest founding date and Largest endowments.
When is the application deadline for Berkshire School?
The application deadline for Berkshire School is Jan. 15.
Endorse Berkshire School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards