Tel: (413) 458-3919
Buxton School Photo #2 - Experience is a powerful teacher: At Buxton, kids learn in an interactive, participatory environment, where they are expected to contribute as much as they take away. Buxton is an authentic community of curious, creative learners and thinkers, and our faculty challenges students to move beyond the surface to see what else is possible.
Buxton School Photo #5 - Twice a year, the Buxton community invites family members, friends, and alumni to the campus to experience the vitality and accomplishments of our arts programs. Right before Thanksgiving break and again in late May, we host a weekend of performances, visiting and sharing.
Buxton School Photo #7 - Buxton School is located on 120 acres of lush country landscape. Williamstown is a beautiful, safe New England town rich with culture, diversity, and big-city attractions.
Buxton School Photo #10 - Sustainability on campus has been an important element of the biology curriculum for the past several years. Each year, the garden expands in area and more vegetables and varieties are planted. In the fall, the garden supplies the kitchen with some home-grown ingredients, and the bounty is presented in a harvest dinner for the school community.
- Buxton School is a diverse, coed college-preparatory boarding and day school for students who are looking for stimulating, participatory academics; a committed arts program; and a community experience that is supportive and intentional.
- Founded as a progressive school in the 1920's, Buxton continues to educate in the belief that students learn best when they are engaged in meaningful activity in the context of community.
- In addition to a curriculum that readies students for the rigors of college, Buxton offers an extensive arts program that includes theatre, studio art, ceramics, music (composition, theory, and performance), photography, and a drum and dance program.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Other school association(s)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||90 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||9 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(no dress code)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$59,500|
|Tuition Notes||International student fee is an additional $4000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Torie Nichols|
|Admissions Associate||Justina Trova|
|Endowment Size||$3 million|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Dance, Freestyle Skiing, Indoor Soccer, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Ultimate FrisbeeAlpine Skiing, Basketball,|
Dance, Freestyle Skiing,
Indoor Soccer, Mountain Biking,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Arts and Music Programs:|
Ceramics, Chorus, Creative Writing, Dance and Drumming, Drama, Orchestra, Photography, Printmaking, Studio Art, Video Production
- Buxton is a small, progressive and diverse boarding and day college preparatory school nestled in the Berkshire Hills of western Massachusetts. For the past 90 years, our faculty and staff have delighted in welcoming students to our egalitarian community to inspire and nurture their academic, artistic and social growth.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Boston Grades: 5-12 | 471 students
103 Pilgrim Road
Boston, MA 02215
(617) 735-9503 110.1 5-12
- Braintree Grades: 6-12 | 688 students
745 Washington Street
Braintree, MA 02184
(781) 843-3580 117.7 6-12
- Cambridge Grades: PK-12 | 1015 students
80 Gerry's Landing Rd
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 547-6100 108.2 PK-12
As the COVID-19 virus spreads throughout the United States, we look at steps schools and parents can take to protect themselves from this highly contagious virus.
Raising children involves constant attention to their development and progress. Identifying learning disabilities must be part of your plan.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.