5.00 (1 review)
- Lawrence Academy is a coeducational independent school of 395 students located in Groton, Massachusetts. Offering grades 9-12, LA is home to an equal split of day and boarding students, within a welcoming, open educational culture. Immersive, individualized learning is essential to our program, and our knowledgeable faculty teach students how to think, not what to think. Throughout the year, our teachers assess students' interests and needs and adapt to them. Our goal is to see students grow in knowledge, confidence, and empathy. Within Lawrence Academy's healthy environment of rigorous learning, students graduate as well-developed individuals with a mission and a passion for that purpose.
Lawrence Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Massachusetts for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADD/ADHD, Executive Functioning, ESL|
|Total Students||399 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||56 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1230|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$64,150|
|Tuition Notes||Day $50550|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$36,958|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Phil Blood|
|Admissions Associate||Rob Olsen|
|Endowment Size||$29.6 million|
|Total Sports Offered||24 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Weightlifting, WrestlingAlpine Skiing, Baseball,|
Cross Country, Cycling,
Dance, Field Hockey,
Football, Freestyle Skiing,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Lacrosse, Mountain Biking,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||34 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
A Taste of Groton Club, A/V Club, Admissions Tour Guides, Asian Culture Club, Business Club, Coding Club, Community Service Advisory Board, Consortium (Literary Magazine), Current Events Club, Debate Club, Dorm Proctors, Environmental Sustainability Council, Girl Up, Grilling Club, GSA (Gender Sexuality Alliance), Judiciary Board, Makers Club, Moral Courage Task Force, Peer Counseling, Peer Tutoring, Spartan Science, Spoken Word Poetry Club, Student Government, Student Government Committees (Community Life, Food, Special Events, AAA-Academics, Arts & Athletics), Tour Guide, Umoja (Unity), Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Jazz Band, LA Singers, Lawrencian Chorale, Performing Artists Series, Private Vocal or Instrumental Instruction, Spring One Act Play Festival, Technical Theate
- Lawrence Academy embraces an individualized approach to learning in a highly collaborative community of 400 boarding and day students. LA features a balanced academic program of intellectual development, self-discovery, wellness, and a desire to serve the greater good.
- Our curriculum is supported by LA`s advisory program; daily meetings between adults and a group of 4-8 students. In the classroom, faculty teach students how to think, not what to think. Our Research and Immersive Learning electives allow students to pursue topics independently. Meanwhile, the Omnibus program pursues essential and complex health conversations.
- Co-curricular activities are key to the LA experience. Our Dance students are mainstays at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, while the LA Singers frequently grace the stage at Carnegie Hall. LA Spartans compete in the Independent School League and our student-athletes often move on to compete on NCAA squads. Clubs, diversity groups, and leadership roles of nearly every ilk also encourage students to develop in confidence and character.
- Winterim, LA`s two-week experiential education program, takes students outside the classroom. Science excursions to the Galapagos Islands, volunteering at a refugee camp in Greece, or exploring the legal system in Boston and Washington, D.C., are just a few of Winterim`s opportunities.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Groton Grades: 8-12 | 380 students
282 Farmers Row
Groton, MA 01450
(978)448-3363 5 8-12
- Concord Grades: 9-12 | 390 students
166 Main Street
Concord, MA 01742
(978)402-2250 14.7 9-12
- Milton Grades: K-12 | 980 students
170 Centre Street
Milton, MA 02186
(617)898-1798 34.9 K-12
My son is at Lawrence and we couldn't be happier. Very supportive environment, caring teachers and accepting student body. My son is not involved in sports at all, is a member of the computer club but has still found friends and acceptance at this school. Very helpful advisors and rigorous academic program.
- Posted by Parent - oyvey
We look at several ways you can use to search for private schools. Whether you are beginning the search process for a school for your child or just want to find out more about particular schools, we offer some tips and tricks to make searching more efficient.
Here's a recap of the steps you need to follow to find the right school for your child. Work through the process in sequence from beginning to end.
Did you think that corporal punishment in our schools was extinct? Sadly, it isn't. Here are some facts and some suggestions as to what you can do to help eliminate corporal punishment once and for all.