The International School Of Charlottesville
One of only three NAEYC-accredited programs in Charlottesville, the ISC is a language-immersion school offering a structured, progressive, and robust early-childhood education program in French or Spanish.
Children from age 2 through Kindergarten develop foundational skills and learn about their world through guided discovery, structured imaginative play, reading, music, interdisciplinary projects, and other research-based approaches to early childhood education, all while being immersed in a French or Spanish-speaking classroom setting.
By learning in a multi-lingual environment, children not only accrue the myriad cognitive benefits of acquiring a second language in early childhood, but also develop the kind of broadened worldview so valuable for thriving in a globalized society.
Classes are small, and led by experienced teachers, most with advanced degrees.
Quick Stats (2023)
- School Type: School with Special Program Emphasis
- Grades: Prekindergarten-Kindergarten
- Enrollment: 210 students
- Average class size: 10 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 30%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
None / Rolling
Tuition varies by program choice, attendance option, and Extra Care selection.
% on Financial Aid
Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.
Arts and Music Programs:
African Drumming & Dance
African Drumming & Dance
- The International School of Charlottesville offers the best in preschool education within a foreign language environment. The language center in the brain undergoes the greatest development in the first years of life. Exposing a child to a second language at an early age broadens cognitive ability in later years and encourages multicultural awareness.
- At the ISC, the new language is not introduced as a separate subject but is an intrinsic part of the daily experience. Our experienced teachers communicate with the children predominantly in the target language. As the children learn and play in this environment, the target language gradually becomes their preferred means of communication at school.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the application deadline for The International School Of Charlottesville?
The application deadline for The International School Of Charlottesville is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Endorse The International School Of Charlottesville. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
Enrichment Resources For Children Ages 10-14
I asked ChatGPT to list apps, YouTube Channels, and podcasts suitable for enriching the studies of students ages 10-14. (We'll look at resources for younger and older students in another article.)
February 13, 2023Designing Assignments In The ChatGPT Era
AI (Artificial Intelligence), specifically ChatGPT, poses some serious challenges for teachers. We explore the importance of teaching students how to attribute the work and ideas of others.